Light-O-Rama Forums

Halloween 2009

CLD Kevin

Well, got the first 4ft chorus face built. Ended up using 3/4 PVC for the frame, and green 2ft wide chicken wire for the base..and a buttload full of wire ties! I took a burn out section of rope light to connect the bottom two eyes.. saved me connectors ;) Took about 4 hours.. sheese... only 2 more small and one 6 foot to go..

Attached files 209898=11693-firstface.jpg

BobO.. looks really good, I used 1/2" pvc, and have the eyes closer together.. I wrapped a short section with electrical tape to black out that area btwn the bottom eye ropes(abt 4") and a longer one btwn the upper lids (abt 18").. as they arent one for very long, it shouldnt get very warm.. yeah, just being unwieldy is what takes so long. I wil prob have to get the 3 chorus faces next week.. too much to do these next couple days before work again Thursday.

I see that practically everyone is using ropelight of some sort to make their faces. Since I didn't have any laying around, I thought I would try an alternative.

Got some black coroblast about 36" x 48" and used minilights to make a skull outline instead of a pumpkin. I would appreciate hearing your comments. Yes, I know the nose has multi-color lights. I will replace with white as soon as I can figure out what voltage bulbs go into a 20 light string. Thanks.

Richard

Attached files 210084=11710-DSCN2829 (Large).JPG

Great idea Richard! Do you have the 5 segments for the mouth as well? I think the idea of the rope light was because it's easy to segment into small sections as compared to normal mini lights.

I used 5 segments for the mouth; top line (usually used in conjunction with the three bottom segments plus a separate OOOH! sound. Eyes is the 6th channel, and skull and nose combined for the 7th channel. I'll post another pic here of the smaller mouth (top line plus small bottom).

Richard

Attached files 210086=11711-DSCN2827 (Large).JPG

Here's the OOOOH! sound mouth. There is a middle segment, but I won't waste space here. I used 100 lights for the skull outline. I cut 100 light strings in half for the moving parts.
50 for the two eyes
50 for mouth top
50 for each bottom mouth segment and 50 for the OOOH!
20 for the nose.
Total is 420 lights (If I counted right).

Richard

Attached files 210088=11712-DSCN2830 (Large).JPG

• 3 weeks later...

boom pow is not my creation have taken pieces from others who were willing to share there work by posting in lor forms and sequences, just made them fit my sequence Blair

Well, got the 6ft built last weekend, and building the last two smaller faces today. (well, at least I have the frames built). I did a small test in my room today and the 1 large and 1 small looked pretty good! I shot a video on my blackberry of it, but I be darned if I can find how to post that on here... I'll keep working on it and post it. Now I've started thinking about how to mount these things on the house. I need to mount them directly on the front face of the house. I've thought about small pullies so I can raise and lower them as needed. I only want to get up that ladder once if I can keep from it.. don't like hights and I have a 2 story.

Ok,
So I am sure I am not the only one to wait until the last few weeks to try to do something. I've had my stuff for a while, but lots going on. I really want to do the "talking Heads" for "This Is Halloween."
I have enough time to either build the heads, or make the sequences. I have noticed several people referring to sequences they have uploaded... Which one would you suggest?
I may make 5 heads, but for sure one. If I only do 1, I can just not use those channels this year...
Suggestions???

Richard

Hey guys I am new to the forum. I just started my face today. I used 3/4in PVC for my frame. Instead 2x4 fencing, I used a plastic fencing that is similar to chicken wire and it is black. I like this because it gives me more options for attaching the rope light I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance. I like all the ideas here. Lots of great info ;)

Ok, thats it, my wife is convinced I have an addiction to lights. I just ordered 150' of orange rope light to make a talking pumpkin for this Halloween. I know I'm really late in starting something for Halloween. I don't have anything built, or sequenced. I do have 3 rgb floods that I can use and a strobe light. but thats it! I don't have any other Halloween decorations.

I've go a lot of work to do!!!

Welcome to the crazyness Dan! My wife certainly thinks I overdo it, but she is very supportive so far on the Halloween faces. I have all the frame sitting in my living room, and she is having a Pampered Chef party tomorrow. She's not even making me hide them! I ended up using white rope light. Depending on how many you are making, you may need more that 150ft. I've built the 6ft one and one 4ft one and just about used all the first box.

There seems to be two trains of thought in building the mouths. I went with the same layout as Cracker started with. 5 segments for the mouth. Seperate channels for top lip, bottom lip, Eh sound, Middle lip, and the OH mouth. Others have made the middle mouth and eh mouth a full mouths. I just depends on how you want the smile to look. I use the middle mouth bottom lip for the smile instead of the wide mouth bottom lip. I know this sounds wierd, but once you get the first one built you will see what I'm talking about.

GOOD LUCK!

Well, I got my faces mounted on the roof today. I want to get all the rest of my lights up over the next week so I can turn it on by Oct. 1st. I had all the parts from computer upgrades to build a new system to run the light-o-rama from the garage and not have to give up my office one or my laptop. I'll post more pictures as I get it set up.

Attached files 212336=11848-IMG_1600.jpg