Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie16 Test

JDubs

Hey all - posted about this last year and never really got to bottom. I have a pixie16 that runs a mega tree 16x50. Each channel running 1 50 pixel strand of Blinkys Xconnect pixels. Just upgraded to a new N4-G4-director from mini last year. Issue is that I run the show (all LOR sequences) and it will go for a bit but then shut off all lights on the tree (everything else on network and other pixies still running as well as music). Last year similar issue but tree would freeze with pixels on. When I hit the test button on the pixie it does cycle through the test lights without issue. The status light on the pixie is blinking indicating not connected to network with two blinks per second, again all other pixies are still running fine on same network at this point  

my question is, any ideas on how to test if pixie is bad? Or if a certain part of it is. Sequences and preview seem to have no issue when run on computer. I have a new director and new LOR only shows to test to make sure my other non-LOR sequences were not the culprit. Or open to any other suggestions anyone has. 

Thanks for the help!

I had a similar issue a few years ago with my pixel tree freezing some. I ended up putting it on a separate network and then worked just fine.

I concur. You need to split up the network.

A N4G4 supports 4, so other than some more CAT5 is there a reason?

Also larger Pixies do better in Enhanced mode, another reason to put the 16 on its own network

Thanks guys - I’ll try setting up on its own network tomorrow. Strange thing as I had typed this earlier, the tree was off after 1.5hrs of the show running. Then randomly over the past hour it turned itself back on. Hopefully the separate network works. I’ll report back to close this out. 

Pixie 16 with 16 strings needs power. As much as 48Amps of 12V (when white. And that is with no headroom.). PSU's  need to breathe cool air or they thermal shutdown.

@k6ccc network is set as ELOR at 1000

per the other suggestions I rewrote the preview this morning placed the tree on its own network.

when rewriting I noticed I never set the pixel curve for the tree. Therefore it is running at 100%. Question for you all - given the power needs on the controller for a complex animated show, do we think that could be causing a thermal shutdown like @TheDucks mentioned above and causing intermittent freezing/shutdown? If so, that maybe explains why last year on individual mini director and now this year on N4-G4 I am still having issues. I was thinking of cutting down the curve to 70%, does that seem like a reasonable approach or I am not really going to affect anything with that?

Update...rewrote preview to put megatree on Aux A network for the director. Also dropped pixel curve down to 70% on the tree. Wrote to SD card as 1000k and ELOR.

When I turned it on it worked great. All pixels running and music plus other network. However, after the 10th sequence, it froze near the end of the 11th one. The pixels on the tree were on but not moving (entire show was still working on everything else). When I looked at the pixie16 controller, the LED status light was not on. I attempted to push the reset button but it would not do anything, whether a quick press or holding it down. I proceeded to unplug the pixie and replug back in and it came back on and ran the remaining 10 sequences without issue and then restart the round.

As a sidenote, given the talk of the thermal overload potential above, I ran it with the cover open and it is about 20 degrees here today, so there was plenty of cooling power (plus no heat was coming off the pixie when I felt it).

At this point I am thinking that it is something with the pixie itself unless anyone has any other ideas. I am stuck if I should replace the board, power supply, or whole controller; appreciate any thoughts on this if someone agrees I should be replacing.

8 hours ago, JDubs said:

@k6ccc network is set as ELOR at 1000

per the other suggestions I rewrote the preview this morning placed the tree on its own network.

when rewriting I noticed I never set the pixel curve for the tree. Therefore it is running at 100%. Question for you all - given the power needs on the controller for a complex animated show, do we think that could be causing a thermal shutdown like @TheDucks mentioned above and causing intermittent freezing/shutdown? If so, that maybe explains why last year on individual mini director and now this year on N4-G4 I am still having issues. I was thinking of cutting down the curve to 70%, does that seem like a reasonable approach or I am not really going to affect anything with that?

Do you have a DC volt meter? At the time the show stops, measure the 12V.

On 11/25/2023 at 3:38 PM, JDubs said:

Update...rewrote preview to put megatree on Aux A network for the director. Also dropped pixel curve down to 70% on the tree. Wrote to SD card as 1000k and ELOR.

When I turned it on it worked great. All pixels running and music plus other network. However, after the 10th sequence, it froze near the end of the 11th one. The pixels on the tree were on but not moving (entire show was still working on everything else). When I looked at the pixie16 controller, the LED status light was not on. I attempted to push the reset button but it would not do anything, whether a quick press or holding it down. I proceeded to unplug the pixie and replug back in and it came back on and ran the remaining 10 sequences without issue and then restart the round.

As a sidenote, given the talk of the thermal overload potential above, I ran it with the cover open and it is about 20 degrees here today, so there was plenty of cooling power (plus no heat was coming off the pixie when I felt it).

At this point I am thinking that it is something with the pixie itself unless anyone has any other ideas. I am stuck if I should replace the board, power supply, or whole controller; appreciate any thoughts on this if someone agrees I should be replacing.

I just helped someone last night with her pixie controllers.

Ensure the problematic pixie controllers are last in a chain or by themselves in a network and place a jumper on pins JP4.

Fixed many this year, it seems the more sophisticated the sequences get the more we have to do to keep things running.

Let me know how that goes for you

JR

Just as a reference, I have a 23x100 mega tree (ports 1 to 23) with a 106 node Bethlehem star (port 24), sitting on a Pixie16 and an adjacent Pixie8, all set to PixelCurve30, on N4G4 director Aux A, enhanced, 500K, with no problems.  My experience is that you do not really see a change in pixel intensity until you drop below 50.  I find 30 makes it easier to photograph/record and still gives enough brightness to the show while consuming less power.  I also do not use a lot of white, and when I do it is only for momentary emphasis.  Just my experience; not an expert.

Hi all - sorry few days away so didn't back to respond. So I let it run with no issues for two days then last night the freezing struck again I did test the voltage from the power supply and it was there (plus lights were still on, just frozen). Makes me think the board is the culprit. Thusfar I have worked through the creating on a separate network (Aux A), pixel curve dimming (set to 70%), and tested the power supply (which was still running at 12v). Can also confirm it is not a particular sequence as it has frozen on various ones. I am going to try @dibblejr idea and put a jumper on J4 and monitor how the show runs over the next couple days. Fingers crossed that works otherwise I am just going to just buy the new pixie board.

Appreciate al your help with this.

5 hours ago, JDubs said:

Hi all - sorry few days away so didn't back to respond. So I let it run with no issues for two days then last night the freezing struck again I did test the voltage from the power supply and it was there (plus lights were still on, just frozen). Makes me think the board is the culprit. Thusfar I have worked through the creating on a separate network (Aux A), pixel curve dimming (set to 70%), and tested the power supply (which was still running at 12v). Can also confirm it is not a particular sequence as it has frozen on various ones. I am going to try @dibblejr idea and put a jumper on J4 and monitor how the show runs over the next couple days. Fingers crossed that works otherwise I am just going to just buy the new pixie board.

Appreciate al your help with this.

Do not forget to ensure Windows Defender or some other anti virus software is not running in the background. Also and this is something that stumped all of us about 5 years ago. I had some old shows that were scheduled to run the prior year and turn off, my show was stopping and freezing due to a show conflict. Once I discovered them old shows and deleted the schedule, I no longer had problems. 

Fingers crossed that the jumper on Jp4 works. It has helped many people over several years that are having the same type issues. Two last week alone.

JR