Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixels Freezing, Hours into the Show

scodavis

I am having a really weird issue with a small set of pixels.  Here are the relevant setup details:

- Pixel wreath with five rings.  Each ring is a set of 50 LOR bullet pixels, and each set of 50 is plugged into a different controller output.
- Controller is a Pixie 16.  The Pixie 16 is on the Aux D network and is the only controller on the network.
- Wire distance from the wreath to the controller is 25 feet.
- Appropriate adapter is being used and is set to LOR Enhanced 1000K.
- My show runs from 6pm to 10pm each night; opening night was this past Monday.

On both Monday and last night, I was outside from 6pm to 8pm, interacting with people, and the wreath (and everything else) performed flawlessly the entire time.  When I went outside at around 9:55pm, I noticed that part of the middle ring - probably around 20-25 pixels, were essentially frozen and not responding to commands, but the rest of the pixels on the string were.  Once the show ended, my cleanup sequence (10 seconds of blank grid) ran, and everything turned off except those 20-25 frozen pixels.  On both nights it was the same ring (ring 3) but I don't know if it was the exact same pixels both times.  I do know, however, that the frozen pixels were in the MIDDLE of the string of 50, not at the beginning or end.  The pixels on either side of the frozen ones continued to respond.

On the show computer, I tried manually running the shutdown sequence.  I also quit and re-opened the Control Panel.  Afterwards the pixels were still on.  The only way I got them to turn off was to cut the power to the controller and then turn it back on.

In addition to that controller (which only has 11 outputs used), I have two other Pixie 16 controllers (on a different network, of which 26 outputs are used and have MANY more pixels), and I don't have an issue with it.

I don't understand what could be happening.  Any thoughts?

Edited by scodavis

Sounds strange.  I know it's a bit of a pain, but can you move that string to a different port on the Pixie?  Yea, that means editing your preview and then preping the show (all sequences will need to to recreate to get the new Unit ID).  so make SURE to manually Prep show before scheduled start time - it WILL take a while.

15 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Sounds strange.  I know it's a bit of a pain, but can you move that string to a different port on the Pixie?  Yea, that means editing your preview and then preping the show (all sequences will need to to recreate to get the new Unit ID).  so make SURE to manually Prep show before scheduled start time - it WILL take a while.

Yeah, I could try that.  In addition to changing the Preview, I would have to open and save every individual sequence file prior to doing the prep, right?

6 minutes ago, scodavis said:

In addition to changing the Preview, I would have to open and save every individual sequence file prior to doing the prep, right?

I THINK that it's smart enough to figure that out.  Try the Prep and if it takes a while, it did the change.

Like I said, a pain.  That is one advantage of smarter pixel controllers (mostly E1.31).  Easy to change a Universe to another port.

10 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I THINK that it's smart enough to figure that out.  Try the Prep and if it takes a while, it did the change.

Like I said, a pain.  That is one advantage of smarter pixel controllers (mostly E1.31).  Easy to change a Universe to another port.

Yep - you're right, it did figure it out.  After changing the Preview I launched Control Panel and everything says "Needs Prep", and it is taking a while like it always does.

I'll try running the show tonight with the channel change, see what happens at the end, and let you know what I find.  I appreciate your help!

Those 25 in the middle ring. Are they at the end of the string?

What happens if you push the white test button while they are acting up? (a second press cancels the test (if it has not timed out) any your normal show resumes)

15 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Those 25 in the middle ring. Are they at the end of the string?

What happens if you push the white test button while they are acting up? (a second press cancels the test (if it has not timed out) any your normal show resumes)

They are in the middle of the string.

I have no idea - what white test button are you referring to?

11 minutes ago, scodavis said:

They are in the middle of the string.

I have no idea - what white test button are you referring to?

On the pixie16 (all of them have it). You press it and it runs a simple (progressive thru all nodes) pattern on all ports R -> G -> B  . a real handy test of your strings ability to pass data and light. Just no White, which needs the power supply ability to source all nodes (many LOR user limit intensity to get away with under sized PSU. This test is at 100%)

3 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

On the pixie16 (all of them have it). You press it and it runs a simple (progressive thru all nodes) pattern on all ports R -> G -> B  . a real handy test of your strings ability to pass data and light. Just no White, which needs the power supply ability to source all nodes (many LOR user limit intensity to get away with under sized PSU. This test is at 100%)

Thank you - if the swap of the outputs doesn't work tonight, I'll definitely do this test.

5 minutes ago, scodavis said:

Thank you - if the swap of the outputs doesn't work tonight, I'll definitely do this test.

You might start with this test as nothing else needs to be done. All you need is power to the controller.

And if the string fails tonight, the first press the button and see what happens.  What is odd, is it is in the middle of a string. A chip with a failing  DO or DI won't continue later in the string. It is almost like your show has a stray set (overlapping) of commands for those nodes

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

You might start with this test as nothing else needs to be done. All you need is power to the controller.

And if the string fails tonight, the first press the button and see what happens.  What is odd, is it is in the middle of a string. A chip with a failing  DO or DI won't continue later in the string. It is almost like your show has a stray set (overlapping) of commands for those nodes

Possibly running a background sequence with the main sequence and the background sequence somehow only has that section for those pixels still within it.   

I did that once, and for the life of me I have no idea how I managed it🤔, but that's what caused a very similar issue with my lights when I first started sequencing RGB strings, and using the computer💻 to run my show.🎶🎵🎶  

Now using a Director and no more background sequences for me, it doesn't support them.😶

They do come in handy for some things, but for me, they were more of a pain😵‍💫 when issues might pop into the mix.🥴  Now I just ignore background😶‍🌫️ sequences, 'specially since I can't use them!🙃

Edited by Orville

2 hours ago, TheDucks said:

@TheDucks When I got home tonight, I did the test button.  I then switched the string from output 3 to output 16 and did the test button again.  The pixel string tested good both times.

@Orville I don't use background sequences.

We shall see what happens with the show tonight.

If it acts up during the show, push the button. If it is good, your show has a glitch (and I am no help there 🥴 )

27 minutes ago, scodavis said:

@TheDucks When I got home tonight, I did the test button.  I then switched the string from output 3 to output 16 and did the test button again.  The pixel string tested good both times.

@Orville I don't use background sequences.

We shall see what happens with the show tonight.

Are you using more than 100 nodes per port?  Or are you using less than 100 nodes per port?(50 nodes port), if you set the Pixie at 50 and then added in the extra channels for the additional nodes, did you set each channel with the correct parameters for them?

It seems, like The Ducks(I think) stated you have a channel conflict in the sequence somewhere that could be causing the issue.

Especially since you ran the self-test and the string worked properly on both ports you tested it on.

Or maybe something isn't set up properly in your preview area for that string, and it may only be 1 sequence that didn't get changed (I've missed sequences myself when updating multiple sequences). So, it's very easy you might have missed one when making changes. 

If it happens at the same time in your show, you need to find out which sequence is running at the time of the issue that's occurring, and investigate that sequence, as that's the one that could be(and probably is) creating your problem.

If the newer versions of the software (5/6) still have the Verifier software, run it, it will show you where channel conflicts are, if they exist, among many other details that could help with tracking down issues.

Edited by Orville

Well, right now the show has been running for over 3 hours, and so far it's run through the complete sequence of songs three full times with no unusual symptoms.

To answer Orville's question - the Pixie16 has the wreath (5 x 50 Pixels), three snowflakes (3 x 48/50 pixels), two small presents (2 x 85/100 pixels), and two large presents (2 x 129/150 pixels).

NOTE:  Last year, this controller operated the same exact pixels.  The only difference was that last year I used S4 and this year I'm using S6.

The show will end in about 24 minutes, so I'll update once it finishes up.

All righty - the weird glitch did not occur tonight.  The only thing I did notice was, during the final song, when all the pixels were on a white shimmer, the third ring of the wreath didn't seem to be quite in sync with the other four rings.  But no freezing, and the self-test button after the show was normal as well.

Maybe it was the output that was the problem.  Or maybe just having the connector reseated did something.  Or maybe it was a few degrees warmer tonight and that changed something.

I got nothing.

43 minutes ago, scodavis said:

All righty - the weird glitch did not occur tonight.  The only thing I did notice was, during the final song, when all the pixels were on a white shimmer, the third ring of the wreath didn't seem to be quite in sync with the other four rings.  But no freezing, and the self-test button after the show was normal as well.

Maybe it was the output that was the problem.  Or maybe just having the connector reseated did something.  Or maybe it was a few degrees warmer tonight and that changed something.

I got nothing.

Where you stated it may have been the connector may not have fully seated, chances are since everything ran smoothly, it probably was the string connection to controller connector interface wasn't fully seated and tightened fully. 

That can sure cause some wierd issues if that connection point isn't fully connected and secured fully with the locking ring(nut/cap) or anywhere a connection like that is made, including extender cables. 

One unsecure or connection not fully seated and tightened correctly can drive one insane trying to locate those type issues.🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Orville

11 hours ago, scodavis said:

All righty - the weird glitch did not occur tonight. 

That's great news.

And I concur with the others about a loose connection.  When I set up my pixel tree, I had a port most flickering a dim red when idle.  Found one of the wires on the little green plug loose.  Tightened it down and the problem went away.

• Like 1

@k6ccc @TheDucks Spoke too soon.  Ring 3 froze again tonight - and this time it was the full ring.  I immediately went outside and pressed the test pattern button.  The test pattern worked - except for Ring 3, which stayed frozen.  I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the cable, and now the ring is dark.  Even after rebooting the controller, Ring 3 is dark.

I think at this point I've narrowed it down to either being a bad 25' extension cable or a bad string of pixels.  I'm really disappointed, too - first, LOR pixels are quite expensive and second, if I have to replace them it requires a lot of work to get the wreath down.  If it were the last couple days of the show, I wouldn't even worry about it, but it's only day 4 - my show goes through New Year's Eve.

Sigh...