Light-O-Rama Forums

Media playback error

k6ccc

This has happened a half dozen or so times throughout the S6 beta period and again with 6.1.0 last night.  My year round landscape lighting plays two four minute musical files that both play the same media file which is 4 minutes of silence interspersed with three different animation sequences that are triggered as part of a Jukebox type interactive group when someone opens the front door or walks up to the front porch.  Here is an extract from the player log showing the problem:

2022-09-13 20:41:20    Player    Information    Starting Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening fast 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:45:20    Player    Information    Stopping Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening fast 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:45:20    Player    Information    Starting Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening slow 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:49:20    Player    Information    Stopping Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening slow 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:49:20    Player    Information    Starting Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening fast 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:49:21    Player    Error    ERROR WITH SEQUENCE (Media playback error: 0xC00D11B1)
2022-09-13 20:49:21    Player    Information    Stopping Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening fast 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:49:21    Player    Error    ERROR WITH SEQUENCE (Media playback error: 0xC00D11B1)
2022-09-13 20:49:21    Player    Information    Starting Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening fast 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:49:21    Player    Information    Stopping Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening fast 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:49:21    Player    Information    Starting Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening slow 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:49:21    Player    Information    Stopping Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening slow 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:49:21    Player    Information    Starting Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening fast 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:49:21    Player    Information    Starting Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening slow 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:49:22    Player    Information    Stopping Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening slow 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:49:22    Player    Information    Starting Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening fast 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:49:22    Player    Information    Stopping Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening fast 2021-01-03.loredit
2022-09-13 20:49:22    Player    Information    Starting Main: L:\Sequences\Year round landscaping\Landscaping evening slow 2021-01-03.loredit

As you can see, once the Media error is logged, the sequences are unable to play (note the times).  Once the media error occurs, stopping and restarted the player does NOT resolve the problem, but exiting the Control Panel and restarting does resolve the problem.  When stopping and restarting the player, the log does not show the media error again, but does start and stop each sequence multiple times per second.  I do have the full log file if desired.  I also captured the LORSequencer-trace and LORTray-trace log files prior to exiting the Control Panel.

Note that I have NOT had this problem until I started the S6 beta.

For background, I am playing this on my file server.  The LOR directory ( L:\ ) is a mapped network directory on the same file server (it's actually D:\Shared\LOR on the server).  The D: drive is a RAID-5 array with four 1TB spinning drives + a hot standby with about 70% free space.  Neither the RAID controller nor Windows logs show any problems with the array.

Light-O-Rama S6 Control Panel (64-bit)
Version 6.1.0
Copyright 2022 Light-O-Rama, Inc.
Pro Edition
Registered to: Jim Walls

Microsoft Windows Server 2019 Essentials 64-bit
Intel® Xeon® CPU   L5520 @ 2.27GHz
Microsoft Basic Display Adapter

I made mention of this in a different thread on the first night of 6.0.0....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kyle Whitaker

• dgrant

• k6ccc

• Crimson Lane Lights Etown

I confirmed this issue several times during the BETA period. Once you see a media error, no way to fix it unless the CP is closed and restarted. It usually happened when I added a new sequence to a show or CUE file then tried to play. Has a lot to do with the creation of the playback file.

3 hours ago, dgrant said:

I confirmed this issue several times during the BETA period. Once you see a media error, no way to fix it unless the CP is closed and restarted. It usually happened when I added a new sequence to a show or CUE file then tried to play. Has a lot to do with the creation of the playback file.

Glad it's not just me...

• 2 months later...

I've seen this error in the S6 Sequencer, but not during my show yet.  I am, however, dealing with glitches in audio playback.  I have a couple songs that are 7ish minutes, and on every song, roughly 4-6 minutes into the song, the audio glitches for a fraction of a second.  Doesn't seem to happen for shorter songs.  Really annoying.

@NateB2, @beckntrav Out of curiosity, do both of you have the Light-O-Rama folder on a network drive or some other external USB drive versus the primary OS drive? I haven't run into these issues myself, but all my files are on the local OS drive. But based on the reported error codes, seeing an "E:" drive in @beckntrav image, and knowing Jim (k6ccc) also runs a shared network drive, I wonder if that is the common piece for seeing these issues.

I do have the files stored on another partition of the same OS drive (ie. E: instead of C:).  It is still physically the same drive.  It seems the file having the error randomly changes each day.

Image.jpeg

If it was I, I'd start with each sequence that's failing and when opening it with the sequencer, first look and see if a "change flag" appears. If not, go to the file references and see if anything is amiss there and fix if needed. Then, after saving any changes, if any, close it, go back to the CP and select the create shows icon. Update status and it should find that the one file at least, needs to be updated. Of course do so.

As for a networked setup, not sure I'd go with the playback files on a server. I'd personally like to have them right there at the show computer so as not to induce any delays however small they might be. Also, since I do not user a server here, I'm wondering what other background processes are going on with it at the same time, that might interrupt the flow of data? Let's say, your AV is running on the server therefore each time there's a file request, it has to stop and test the file before releasing it.

dgrant, 

Sorry, that's what I meant.  I partitioned the show computer C: into two drives. A C: and a E:. They are in the same show computer on the same hard drive.  Not to bore you with details, but I write the sequences on another comptuer that keeps files on an E drive.  To keep from having broken refernces, I made the same E drive on the show computer so I can simply move the files without issues.

I'll check the sequences.  

I have received this error twice now.  When it happens the show "freezes" but if I know it occurs I can skip the current sequence and everything continues on. Tonight it seemed to have happened again (I can't see the logs because I am out of town but the system was the same) and someone called me.  I opened the app and pressed the skip sequence icon ad the show moved on.  I sent an email to LOR support on Monday but have not had any replay (sadly). Since others are seeing this error I am wondering if I need to go back to S5 :(

EMAIL TO LOR SUPPORT: ticket 6282293

Tonight I noticed the display had stopped working. In the control panel I saw the background Projector sequence running and the timer was moving. The main sequence was just sitting there not starting. I believe it was a sequence "In The Sun They melted_413minutes" but it was possible it was "Carol of the Bells_234minutes". I pressed the "play" icon on the sequence and "In The Sun They melted_413minutes" started playing and then everything continued the rest of the night as normal. (side note, this may have occurred once last year using S5 and it didn't recover as nicely as S6 so that is good) I have attached 2 images of the log. You will see the Media Playback error: 0XC00D11B1 in the logs and then around 8:47 is when I noticed the problem and pressed the "play" button to resume the show. Obviously the problem is that it sat "frozen" for 30+ minutes until I noticed and hit the play button. If I was out of town (like I will be this weekend) then as best as I can tell it would have stopped working until I got back or hopefully at the end of the scheduled play time it would have started over the next day. I googled the error code and most of what shows up seems old and/or people constantly getting that error code. The show plays the sequence that failed every 30 minutes and has not failed since I started running the show last Thursday so it was somewhat random. Any thoughts or suggestions?

The laptop running the show is a Lenovo Yoga I5 or I7 purchased last year so it isn't very old. It is out at the church where the show runs and I forgot to grab the specific stats.

I should add that this has happened 2 times out of 8 nights and the same sequences and media files are played 12 times a night so it's not every time and I don't believe it is specific to one sequence.

Thankfully I haven't seen this issue come up yet, but my show computer doesn't have much third party software installed and all my music files are MP3s without DRM. The error being intermittent is the puzzling part and why I wondered if it had something to do with attached storage (non-OS drive) having a hiccup in some way, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

For the problematic media files, what formats are they in? If they are AVI/MP4/MP4A, that can just be the container type and doesn't indicate the encoding. Maybe include the source where the file came from (ex: Amazon, Apple music).

Knowing that and checking what filters are installed to play media could be useful in trying to track this down. You can get that info from DxDiag.exe by following these instructions. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/open-and-run-dxdiag-exe-dad7792c-2ad5-f6cd-5a37-bf92228dfd85. Specifically the various DirectShow and Media Foundation sections would be handy.

This is info captured for my main computer, but it should match my show computer closely. https://1drv.ms/t/s!AvuEQSc6qO9KgZNpeDkHQRLoCJXp2g?e=HVjwNu

I am going to also throw this out there, I setup a New Windows 10 PC (clean install) and it would just blow through the 25 Show Sequences - The MP3 files where by default associated with "Groove Music" once I changes the default media player to Windows Media Player, all went as expected.... And I will also note that in Windows 11 - MS is playing with Windows Media Player which may be an issue with audio & video playback... As the Video Play Back Issue most reported is that Windows Media Player does not stay Full Screen and or reverts to compact player mode...

Off-Topic Maybe, but food for thought none the less...

58 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

The MP3 files where by default associated with "Groove Music" once I changes the default media player to Windows Media Player, all went as expected

Interesting. I guess its possible that some components of Windows Media player is not installed and thus nothing would play. That doesn't really explain the intermittent issues though.

For the playback window though, I think multiple factors are likely at play. In the 6.1.4 release notes, there is mention the media player is recreated when media errors occur. This may mean a whole new window is created, thus causing the window to show up wrong or flash to your desktop and then come back. In the beta releases it would not flash to the desktop, but I saw it happening with the 6.1.4 and haven't tried the 6.1.6 release. It was very noticeable if a sequence without video is present between two that do have video. But I think MS Windows itself and how it manages and repositions windows when monitors are not present (or not present immediately) is also playing a factor.

Ditto...The next sequence just sits there and waits.  I go to the next sequence and the show continues.  No video in my show.  Mix of LED and Pixels on 5 separate networks.  Random sequences.  Log says "error playing."  I am using windows 10 Home on a Surface. 

Has LOR Support responded to anyone about this?  I put in a ticket on Monday and have had no response.

Media Playback error: 0XC00D11B1 #6282293

Basic Ticket Information
Ticket Status: Open
Department: Help Desk
Create Date: 12/05/22 11:39 PM

I'm not running S6, but experiencing a similar issue with S5 (v5.6.10). I don't think I have the ability in S5 to skip sequences in the show so the whole thing just crashes. The issue was intermittent, but now it is consistent. I can't get the show to run through, but it errors out on a different sequence. I ran the troubleshooter for windows media player. It did say the library was corrupted and repaired it. But, that didn't fix the problem. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the windows media player but that was useless as well. I submitted a ticket to LOR on Monday but have no resolution yet. 

22 hours ago, Jami O. said:

I'm not running S6, but experiencing a similar issue with S5 (v5.6.10). I don't think I have the ability in S5 to skip sequences in the show so the whole thing just crashes. The issue was intermittent, but now it is consistent. I can't get the show to run through, but it errors out on a different sequence. I ran the troubleshooter for windows media player. It did say the library was corrupted and repaired it. But, that didn't fix the problem. I also uninstalled and reinstalled the windows media player but that was useless as well. I submitted a ticket to LOR on Monday but have no resolution yet. 

Have you tried the S5 Verifier yet with just the S5 software? S6, have you checked the Update Status for the shows?

Edited by dgrant