Light-O-Rama Forums

How old are you? ...thats not rude to ask is it?

ShowProKevin

Charles Belcher wrote:

176 hours to program a three minutes song with 3500 channels at a rate of .33 Channel-Minutes

And I thought 9-12 hours to sequence a 3-minute song was a long time!:P

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShowProKevin

• Videoguy84

• grandad

• Tim Fischer

55 and first year with any computer controll LOR of course, well hopefully first year i still don't have anything ready for this year but working on it

55 and first year with any computer controll LOR of course, well hopefully first year i still don't have anything ready for this year but working on it

You're not the only one. I usually don't start until after Halloween and sometimes even later, but still manage to pull it off every year. Then again my lights don't go on until Christmas Eve and are only shown that one night, my lightshow is a bit different then you might expect...but let's not get too far off topic...

Charles Belcher wrote:

I am 59 years old, 4th year of LOR animated with 3500 channels this year split up into 3200 channels of DMX and 300 channels of conventional.

How long does it take to program that many channels. Let's do the math.

The first year I had 80 channels and it took about 4-5 hours per minute of song to program.  The second year I had 126 channels and it took around 6-8 hours per minute of song to program. Last year I had 227 channels and it took around 10-12 hours per minute of song to program.

I have never seen a formula posted to reflect the ratio of programming time to number of channels but I will apply the Rate, Time and Distance formula and substitute “channels per minute” for “miles per hour”.  So, with this; Rate=channels per minute; Time=high and low programming time; Distance=number of channels.  I will call the Rate=”Channel-Minutes”.

80 channels
low side (4 hours of programming per minute of song)=  a rate of .33 channels per minute or .33 Channel-Minutes

high side (5 hours of programming per minute of song)=  a rate of .25 channels per minute or .25 Channel-Minutes

126 channels
low side (6 hours of programming per minute of song)=  a rate of .35 channels per minute

or .35 Channel-Minutes
high side (8 hours of programming per minute of song)=  a rate of .26 channels per minute or .26 Channel-Minutes

227 channels
low side (10 hours of programming per minute of song)=  a rate of .38 channels per minute or .38 Channel-Minutes
high side (12 hours of programming per minute of song)=  a rate of .32 channels per minute or .32 Channel-Minutes

We actually pick up a little speed as the channels increase.

Now for the fun part:

This year my 3500 channels work out this way.

T=D/R or

T=3500/.33 Channel-Minutes…

T=10,606 minutes or

176 hours to program a three minutes song with 3500 channels at a rate of .33 Channel-Minutes

I assume I will pick up a little more speed as the channels increase and use a rate of .50 channels per minute.  At this rate I will need to spend the following time programming a 3 minute song:

T=D/R or

T=3500/.50 Channel-Minutes…

T=7,000 minutes or

116.66 hours to program a three minutes song with 3500 channels at a rate of .50 Channel-Minutes

Charles

How many physical DMX units are you using? And what type of dmx units are you using?

ShowProKevin wrote:

Charles Belcher wrote:
I am 59 years old, 4th year of LOR animated with 3500 channels this year split up into 3200 channels of DMX and 300 channels of conventional.

How long does it take to program that many channels. Let's do the math.

The first year I had 80 channels and it took about 4-5 hours per minute of song to program. The second year I had 126 channels and it took around 6-8 hours per minute of song to program. Last year I had 227 channels and it took around 10-12 hours per minute of song to program.

I have never seen a formula posted to reflect the ratio of programming time to number of channels but I will apply the Rate, Time and Distance formula and substitute “channels per minute” for “miles per hour”. So, with this; Rate=channels per minute; Time=high and low programming time; Distance=number of channels. I will call the Rate=”Channel-Minutes”.

80 channels
low side (4 hours of programming per minute of song)= a rate of .33 channels per minute or .33 Channel-Minutes

high side (5 hours of programming per minute of song)= a rate of .25 channels per minute or .25 Channel-Minutes

126 channels
low side (6 hours of programming per minute of song)= a rate of .35 channels per minute

or .35 Channel-Minutes
high side (8 hours of programming per minute of song)= a rate of .26 channels per minute or .26 Channel-Minutes

227 channels
low side (10 hours of programming per minute of song)= a rate of .38 channels per minute or .38 Channel-Minutes
high side (12 hours of programming per minute of song)= a rate of .32 channels per minute or .32 Channel-Minutes

We actually pick up a little speed as the channels increase.

Now for the fun part:

This year my 3500 channels work out this way.

T=D/R or

T=3500/.33 Channel-Minutes…

T=10,606 minutes or

I assume I will pick up a little more speed as the channels increase and use a rate of .50 channels per minute. At this rate I will need to spend the following time programming a 3 minute song:

T=D/R or

T=3500/.50 Channel-Minutes…

T=7,000 minutes or

116.66 hours to program a three minutes song with 3500 channels at a rate of .50 Channel-Minutes

Charles

How many physical DMX units are you using? And what type of dmx units are you using?

I am using the following DMX fixtures/devices:

(2) HES Studio Color 575
(2) HES Studio Spot 250
(8) Chauvet Colorado 3 wash fixtures in 3 different zones
(1) HES F100 fog machine
(2) American DJ snow machines
(1) Bluepoint Engineering DMX/DC motor controller for the flying angel
(36) Acclaim LED tube lights each 39" x2" with 10 pixels of RGB for a total of 30 channels per unit on the house eves and roof
(60)Additional LED tube lights on a 10' wide x 7' high aluminum frame and pixel mapped to a media server to playback color, textures, .wmv videos, jpg's and text.

Lot's of fun and lot's of time. I start the installation next Monday.

Charles

Charles Belcher wrote:

I am using the following DMX fixtures/devices:

(2) HES Studio Color 575
(2) HES Studio Spot 250
(8) Chauvet Colorado 3 wash fixtures in 3 different zones
(1) HES F100 fog machine
(2) American DJ snow machines
(1) Bluepoint Engineering DMX/DC motor controller for the flying angel
(36) Acclaim LED tube lights each 39" x2" with 10 pixels of RGB for a total of 30 channels per unit on the house eves and roof
(60)Additional LED tube lights on a 10' wide x 7' high aluminum frame and pixel mapped to a media server to playback color, textures, .wmv videos, jpg's and text.

Lot's of fun and lot's of time. I start the installation next Monday.

Charles

Awesome! Please start a new thread immediately when you have some pics and vids.