Light-O-Rama Forums

How old are you? ...thats not rude to ask is it?

ShowProKevin

I'm 46 but I am told I don't look a day over 60. I too have to slow down....

3rd year animated. 64 Channels

Cheers

CraigG
;)

Edit: spelling

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShowProKevin

• Videoguy84

• grandad

• Tim Fischer

joneslights wrote:

Bob VandenBoom wrote:
44 - 3

Is that 44 years a LOR user and 3 years old, or 44 channels, 3rd year? J/K

44 years old and 3 years with LOR. Much of the time it feels like the other way around.

Bob

Richard Hamilton wrote:

A lot of old geezers in here I see !!!

59 here. Retired last year. Now this hobby makes me feel like I am working full time at home !

Not old just wiser

32 and first year with 32 channel LOR

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

i am 21 this is my 2nd year with a big display but my first year doin LOR, last year it was with 5 circuit breaker with 5 timers

Me, 37, but Dad who will not reply in this, is 72. Second year for him. Wish he stop spending my inhairentents. :D:D:D He's up to 5 controllers.

Tim_L wrote:

44 and 420..... Not sure what the heck am I going to do with them all but, I have em.

Wow! You're going to have fun, thats what!

Wow...we have quite a variety here! I'm 16 now (just turned it a month ago) and I'm going on my 3rd year with LOR...it's so much fun. I just wish I had a full time job to pay for it all!

lkcubsrule wrote:

Wow...we have quite a variety here! I'm 16 now (just turned it a month ago) and I'm going on my 3rd year with LOR...it's so much fun. I just wish I had a full time job to pay for it all!

Careful what you wish for, it's a win-lose situation. Once you get that job you won't have near as much time to devote to LOR :P

Geoff Harvey wrote:

Hey, I may be the oldest yet at 64 (going on 65 before Christmas).

Not quite Geoff. I'm 66 and this is year three with LOR, but year who knows with outdoor Christmas decorating.

Hope to see a lot of you "seasoned" individuals at PLUS2009.

I am 59 years old, 4th year of LOR animated with 3500 channels this year split up into 3200 channels of DMX and 300 channels of conventional.

How long does it take to program that many channels. Let's do the math.

The first year I had 80 channels and it took about 4-5 hours per minute of song to program. The second year I had 126 channels and it took around 6-8 hours per minute of song to program. Last year I had 227 channels and it took around 10-12 hours per minute of song to program.

I have never seen a formula posted to reflect the ratio of programming time to number of channels but I will apply the Rate, Time and Distance formula and substitute “channels per minute” for “miles per hour”. So, with this; Rate=channels per minute; Time=high and low programming time; Distance=number of channels. I will call the Rate=”Channel-Minutes”.

80 channels
low side (4 hours of programming per minute of song)= a rate of .33 channels per minute or .33 Channel-Minutes

high side (5 hours of programming per minute of song)= a rate of .25 channels per minute or .25 Channel-Minutes

126 channels
low side (6 hours of programming per minute of song)= a rate of .35 channels per minute

or .35 Channel-Minutes
high side (8 hours of programming per minute of song)= a rate of .26 channels per minute or .26 Channel-Minutes

227 channels
low side (10 hours of programming per minute of song)= a rate of .38 channels per minute or .38 Channel-Minutes
high side (12 hours of programming per minute of song)= a rate of .32 channels per minute or .32 Channel-Minutes

We actually pick up a little speed as the channels increase.

Now for the fun part:

This year my 3500 channels work out this way.

T=D/R or

T=3500/.33 Channel-Minutes…

T=10,606 minutes or

176 hours to program a three minutes song with 3500 channels at a rate of .33 Channel-Minutes

I assume I will pick up a little more speed as the channels increase and use a rate of .50 channels per minute. At this rate I will need to spend the following time programming a 3 minute song:

T=D/R or

T=3500/.50 Channel-Minutes…

T=7,000 minutes or

116.66 hours to program a three minutes song with 3500 channels at a rate of .50 Channel-Minutes

Charles