Light-O-Rama Forums

Other Hobbies

TitusCarnathan

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised at how many train folks are here! My other hobby includes working at a full-sized tourist railroad. I'm qualified as a brakeman, conductor, and engineer...which keeps me busy the 10 months out of the year I'm not setting up my light show at my house!

HO trains and Aurora Model Motoring,  tinkering with electronics (working on a circuit to slow and then stop the HO cars at the yellow/red light), home theater (I completely finished my basement into a home theater, bar and full bath and programmed by pro-grade remote so the wife only has to push one button to fire everything up and dim the lights), woodworking (built the bar, a ticket booth and an old fashioned-looking candy counter and will be building a couple of props for this year's display).  I used to list computers as a hobby but almost all the stuff you used to have tinker with is built in now (except for OpenGL issues on old computers when you want to upgrade to S5!). 

On 8/9/2019 at 1:18 PM, Dave Pursel said:

Oh, one more hobby.  This is me grinding away on the 1225 Polar Express four years ago when it had to be rebuilt for it's 15 year ritual.  It's a little (a lot) larger than my "O" gauge version.  It's in Owosso, MI,  a short hop from here.  Spent a fair amount of time grinding away on the stay bolts of this beast.  You could stand up inside the boiler and I still couldn't reach the top.  It's really amazing what our forefathers were able to build in years past!  My wife and I use to be car host up until a couple of years ago, during it's Christmas visits to the North Pole.  This is the very same one used in the making of the movie "Polar Express" by Warner Brothers.

1225_s.png

1225_grinding_s.png

Thanks for doing this, this is a wonderful thing to visit during the holiday, and not to far from us. Tickets sell out every season!

https://www.michigansteamtrain.com/tickets-reservations/north-pole-express

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still into lights but I also am into trains. Not only the kind in your basement but the kind in your back yard that you can ride. Long story but my friend that is now 79 gets me to take groups around his 1 1/2 mike long train layout that covers most of 12 acres. This thing is so cool. We take groups and organizations around 10-15 at a time for a 30 min ride for free. Most make a donation for gas and such but everybody makes plans to return. Most trips in 1 day for me......8. Very cool....

• The topic was locked