Light-O-Rama Forums

strobe light strings?

rcktpwrd

29 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Last night I laid four strings of these across my lawn - one each of red, white, blue, & green.  They don't have the bright pop of a real xenon strobe, but for what they are they do look nice.  Let's put it this way, I am going to take advantage of their flash sale and get some more of the three colors (I have enough of the white ones).

Thanks Jim, I may get a few more strings as well. Nice pop for the size. A nice add of strobe effects to certain areas without the higher costs of a bunch of xenon.

And thank you for listing the colors in a patriotic fashion. ? :)

Man - I sooo wish I had some extra $ right now to order some of these.  I'm bumming  ?

• 3 months later...

I finally got around to using these (strobe strings) in my Halloween display.  Be advised they do not behave well on a Gen 2 controller. Did a test on the Gen 3 controller :perfect (Wouldn't ya know 🙄 that one was on the other side of the main walk. More cords crossing ☹️ than I really wanted)

30 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

I finally got around to using these (strobe strings) in my Halloween display.  Be advised they do not behave well on a Gen 2 controller. Did a test on the Gen 3 controller :perfect (Wouldn't ya know 🙄 that one was on the other side of the main walk. More cords crossing ☹️ than I really wanted)

I don’t see how controller gen makes a difference. You program all on or all off. What’s not behaving well?

14 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

I don’t see how controller gen makes a difference. You program all on or all off. What’s not behaving well?

LOR did something to make the Gen 3's more led friendly.. I simply copied the channel over to the Gen 3

On the gen 2, some bulbs strobed ,( those near the plug)  others were just ON, and you could see a tiny flicker..  Note: this was 2 strings on 2 different channels.

On the Gen 3,  all bulbs have a strong strobe (similar to when plugged direct into the extension cord from the wall. which was my first test)

13 hours ago, TheDucks said:

LOR did something to make the Gen 3's more led friendly.. I simply copied the channel over to the Gen 3

On the gen 2, some bulbs strobed ,( those near the plug)  others were just ON, and you could see a tiny flicker..  Note: this was 2 strings on 2 different channels.

On the Gen 3,  all bulbs have a strong strobe (similar to when plugged direct into the extension cord from the wall. which was my first test)

Didn't they add some type of phantom load/snubber on the Gen 3's?  I wonder if they would work on a Gen 2 if you added a snubber.

14 hours ago, TheDucks said:

I think there's something abnormal going on with your setup/controller.

Having 50+ strings of these, and then seeing this in my LOR feed I almost pooped my pants.  Then I did some testing.  I tested on two different versions of older  CTB16PC controllers and also on an old CTB08D and on all three the strobes worked just fine at full on.  Whew!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, George Simmons said:

I think there's something abnormal going on with your setup/controller.

Having 50+ strings of these, and then seeing this in my LOR feed I almost pooped my pants.  Then I did some testing.  I tested on two different versions of older  CTB16PC controllers and also on an old CTB08D and on all three the strobes worked just fine at full on.  Whew!

Sorry for the panic George.

Other than 1 bad Triac, the controller: 02 - CTB16PC Ver 4.40 seems to behave. It was the 2 channels behaving the same on 2 strings that made me try the other controller: (an the wall outlet)     01 - 16PC-G3 Ver 1.08

• 2 weeks later...

During setup, found more places I just have to use these. Got on CLE last night and ordered more.

Darren is awesome! Already received email shipping today! Man, his service is great!

• Like 1

On 10/31/2018 at 12:07 PM, TheDucks said:

Sorry for the panic George.

Other than 1 bad Triac, the controller: 02 - CTB16PC Ver 4.40 seems to behave. It was the 2 channels behaving the same on 2 strings that made me try the other controller: (an the wall outlet)     01 - 16PC-G3 Ver 1.08

UPDATE: What I found out.

The board had a prior owner. The 'config' was set to 98% Maximum intensity Range.  Changing that to 100%, cured the issue (Wheeew!)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

UPDATE: What I found out.

The board had a prior owner. The 'config' was set to 98% Maximum intensity Range.  Changing that to 100%, cured the issue (Wheeew!)

That could screw with all strobes. Glad you figured it out before you blew them all up. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

That could screw with all strobes. Glad you figured it out before you blew them all up. 

Me too!  I've already blown another (color changing) string.  I really like what the Gen 3's do. Set the port to only ON/OFF.  (I now have 3 set that way for strings with electronic balasts)

On 11/12/2018 at 9:41 AM, Mega Arch said:

During setup, found more places I just have to use these. Got on CLE last night and ordered more.

Darren is awesome! Already received email shipping today! Man, his service is great!

Just delivered!

3 days. What took so long?

• Haha 2

Saw the earlier post about different gen controllers. I'm running 28 strings on V1 controllers and no problems at all. For those curious to know.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:30 PM, Mega Arch said:

Just delivered!

3 days. What took so long?

And their service is reminding me of LOR's stellar service.

I emailed last night that I forgot to use my Red Suit points, but receiving the order in 3 days meant so much, who cares with that great service. Seriously, that's really the extent of my email yesterday. Was notified today by paypal a credit went through at the same time CLE emailed me a copy of the credit. What? Kidding me... 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Mega Arch said:

And their service is reminding me of LOR's stellar service.

I emailed last night that I forgot to use my Red Suit points, but receiving the order in 3 days meant so much, who cares with that great service. Seriously, that's really the extent of my email yesterday. Was notified today by paypal a credit went through at the same time CLE emailed me a copy of the credit. What? Kidding me... 

Good story. I can add... when I placed my order with CLE for the strobe strands earlier in the year (while on sale), I got an email from CLE a few days later of a credit because I was charged incorrectly (and I didn't even notice). I was charged a cheaper sale price but apparently not the price they advertised and they corrected it without mention from me. Talk about honesty.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Santas Helper said:

Good story. I can add... when I placed my order with CLE for the strobe strands earlier in the year (while on sale), I got an email from CLE a few days later of a credit because I was charged incorrectly (and I didn't even notice). I was charged a cheaper sale price but apparently not the price they advertised and they corrected it without mention from me. Talk about honesty.

They are stand up. Got to meet them at the Expo when I picked up my order.

I can’t wait for the rain and snow to end so I can start setting up. Yes I said snow. First snow in Nov here since 1918

high temp today 38

70 degrees Sat Sun Monday. Gonna take advantage of it

JR

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to editing this video on the 5mm strobes.   I really liked the white which I mounted along the roofline.      The blue seem dimmer and I am not so positive about them. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Finally got around to editing this video on the 5mm strobes.   I really liked the white which I mounted along the roofline.      The blue seem dimmer and I am not so positive about them. 

Kinda hard to tell being so close to the lights in the video. But I'll take your word for it.