Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

brichi

My P10 panels I bought from Ray Wu.  My P5 panels are on Pre-sale from https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/  Data and power cables came with both.  Both sets of panels are indoor, so I will build a protective enclosure for them.  Even if the panels are outdoor, you need other stuff to drive them that is not waterproof, so some enclosure is required.  Additionally you will need some mechanical plastic to hold the panels together which I got from https://boscoyostudio.com/index.php for the P10 panels, and Crockett for the P5 panels.  I am using the Crockett power distribution modules for power fusing and distribution.  I bought the Raspberry Pi 3 computers that drive the panels from Amazon, and the Pi-Hats from Crockett.  If you read lots of this thread you will see some discussion about using a ColorLight receiver.  I have one of those on the slow boat from China via Amazon.

20 minutes ago, Dennis Laff said:

Jim did you see my post on page 16 on how to add channels in S4 take a look if you can  .

I did, but I know nothing about exporting from XLights.

This is a very exciting thread to watch.  Trying to follow it and all the "branches" makes it bit difficult.  So I'm asking please when one of you gets a fully working P10 or P5 (doesn't really matter does it?) panel working with LOR, could you list out all the components it takes and locations?  Some have tried other parts from other vendors with varying degrees of success.  So make it easier for us who aren't as adventurous,  a breakdown of what's needed would work wonders.  Sort of like a recipe.  I know that there are multiple ways it can be implemented so it would be nice to know like if your running under 32 panels (I think that was the threshold) you need this, over that, you need this kinda thing.

Like I can already see where the power distribution modules from Crockett would work wonderfully for power injection of a mega tree or house outline so I've already ordered 4 of them.  Appears they can handle 5v or 12v.

Thanks!  Pictures of the connections is ALWAYS helpful.

Edited by BluMan

Jim I imported from x-lights fine into lor but now I have to assign the universes and channels to the sequence  in S4 but with channels overlapping universes I know I could assign one channel at a time to the sequence but there is over 18,000 channels anybody have an idea  ?  setup in pixel editor was very easy and also in X-Lights   but in S4 ?

Edited by Dennis Laff

In all honesty, you need to ask someone who uses XLights.  I'm quite certain that there is an easier process than editing 18,432 channels one by one, but I suspect that it's done in the export from XLights.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2018 at 5:45 PM, brichi said:

the 56 panel matrix I build looks 1000 times better then doing it with nets and nodes, I want to play real videos along with the sequences and playing a video like Uptown Funk for example or clips from Christmas Vacation are barely visible on a net of single nodes unless you do really really tiny spacing and spend a lot more then just doing P10 panels. This video clip I recorded was a few feet away in my living room around 8ftx7ft, I was definitely happier with this then attempting this many pixels doing nets or strips 

Beautiful. This is what I am planning on.  Started researching this weekend.  I want to build a matrix with P10 panels.  Run video animation from actual video while my singing faces also narrate and sing.  You said this one is 56 panels.  Does that mean you have 56 individual P10 Panels?  If so, what configuration, how many columns, how many rows?  What controller are you using to display that trolls video?  Are you using sending and receiving units?  Please share your technique.  Thanks.

On 12/14/2017 at 8:08 PM, caniac said:

Perfect, exactly what I am looking to do.  Slowly finding what I need on this site to help me with my build.  I see you now reside near me.  Maybe I can come by and see your display this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MGoBlue102 said:

Beautiful. This is what I am planning on.  Started researching this weekend.  I want to build a matrix with P10 panels.  Run video animation from actual video while my singing faces also narrate and sing.  You said this one is 56 panels.  Does that mean you have 56 individual P10 Panels?  If so, what configuration, how many columns, how many rows?  What controller are you using to display that trolls video?  Are you using sending and receiving units?  Please share your technique.  Thanks.

If you read through this thread you'll find a lot of the information you are looking for. 

The other place to look if you want to learn about P10 panels is on the Falcon Christmas forum. 

This is where all of us have gone to gather the information to do this. 

19 minutes ago, MGoBlue102 said:

Thank you, this is actually 54 panels (not sure why I wrote 56 at first) . it is 54 P10 panels, 6 wide by 9 high. There are a few ways of doing this , Like ebuechner mentioned you can read through this thread and find a lot of good info... For me im running it from a Pi as my sender and a Colorlight board as my receiver. If you are using LOR you would want to setup 3 dmx universes per panel and map it all out, then put the Pi running FPP (falcon player) in bridge mode and configure the panel layout in there. there is definitely a ton of info out there on how everyone does this and a few videos

Edited by brichi

8 minutes ago, brichi said:

Thank you, this is actually 54 panels (not sure why I wrote 56 at first) . it is 54 P10 panels, 6 wide by 9 high. There are a few ways of doing this , Like ebuechner mentioned you can read through this thread and find a lot of good info... For me im running it from a Pi as my sender and a Colorlight board as my receiver. If you are using LOR you would want to setup 3 dmx universes per panel and map it all out, then put the Pi running FPP (falcon player) in bridge mode and configure the panel layout in there. there is definitely a ton of info out there on how everyone does this and a few videos

I had gotten a tip about colorbright sender earlier and looked at a freestanding sender that looked like it would work as a free standing unit but not so much in line with LOR.  Was not positive but still reading.  

1 minute ago, MGoBlue102 said:

I had gotten a tip about colorbright sender earlier and looked at a freestanding sender that looked like it would work as a free standing unit but not so much in line with LOR.  Was not positive but still reading.  

how many panels you looking to do? you may be better off starting with a a Pi and hat of a beagle bone with an octoscrolla and learn it all first like I did, then I jumped into big matrix sizes and colorlight cards

Just now, MGoBlue102 said:

If you're trying to drive a P10 panel with sequencing from LOR (or xLights, or Vixen, etc), you can't use the sender card.  If you will exclusively use the P10 matrix for video, the sender card is the way to go.  This year I will have a P10 matrix and a P5 matrix.  They will be used for my Tune To signs primarily.  Both will be driven by LOR each by way of a Raspberry Pi3 driving ColorLight receiver card.  I am toying with a larger matrix for 2019 or 2020  that would be exclusively video.  If I go that route, LOR will output video via a DVI output on the show computer which will then drive a sender card and then Cat-6 to the receiver card (or cards).

7 minutes ago, brichi said:

how many panels you looking to do? you may be better off starting with a a Pi and hat of a beagle bone with an octoscrolla and learn it all first like I did, then I jumped into big matrix sizes and colorlight cards

Right now, the space I have to fill is 4' x 7'.  I was thinking of filling it with 8 high by 7 wide, 56 panels.  I have singing faces and want to play video with them singing along.  Primarily, hoping to play the Thriller video at halloween with the singing faces singing and also the Nightmare before Christmas video with faces singing/narrating.  Best to run through LOR if possible to keep the faces singing at the right time.

I was in Vegas and they use a TON of panels on signs and stuff.  the panels they use there are 64x64 P2.5 (P3) sized.  Mega Hi definition but they are all 1/32 scan so I don't think anything is working with LOR yet that can drive these panels with a scan rate that fast?

Edited by BluMan

I think its more about what you use as the sender, for example a beagle bone or Pi running FPP is what really determines what can be displayed, LOR, Xlights and so on are just sending dmx data to them.

Keep in ming doin that large of a display playing video in real time from LOR is going to kill your network in bridge mode, it may not look that smooth. You will have to play around and see what works best for you

On 1/29/2018 at 9:08 PM, k6ccc said:

ColorLight is a "receiver" card.  It gets mated with a "sender" card.  The sender takes DVI video in and puts it into raw Ethernet packets.  The Receiver card receives the raw Ethernet packets and drives a P10 matrix.  Go to:  https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-diy-led-video-wall/overview  to learn about as much as I know about it.  That is not the same card that was being used in the video, but it's enough to learn what the heck he's talking about.

With that said, I'm impressed.  If you are running video only, that may well be the way to go.  As I am not planning on video (at least this year), not gonna go that direction.

Great resource.  Thx.

9 hours ago, MGoBlue102 said:

What Amp power supply do you have in the photo?

not sure the amperage but it's a 350w 5volt power supply.

10 hours ago, MGoBlue102 said:

Perfect, exactly what I am looking to do.  Slowly finding what I need on this site to help me with my build.  I see you now reside near me.  Maybe I can come by and see your display this year.

that would be great, adding a few new things to what I have done before.