Light-O-Rama Forums

Connecting P10 LED panels to LOR?

brichi

from my understanding you would control the colorlight from the Pi so the BBB's would be shelved for a smaller project. I used a BBB and octoscroller on a 32 panel setup today and it looked great so not sure how many panels you are using but once I connected it to my 56 panel screen it looks pretty bad and thats the only reason im looking into the colorlight option

1 hour ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

I'm definitely not following this thread and it's impossible not to see it when clicking unread content as it gets responded to very often.  It's cool that ya'll are into it but It seems like a lot of work and hardware to have this "glorified" matrix compared to a traditional matrix of strips or nodes.  I watched Chet's P10 matrix in his videos and it didn't really give me the WOW impression I was expecting.  It felt more like watching a video display which is exactly what it was doing.  It will be interesting to see your final videos and how you incorporate it into the show.

"Continue the story in 3 words"

And yes it's a lot of work, but it's the challenge that makes this hobby fun it would be boring if this was all Plug and Play and shared sequences, everybody's shows would look identical. 

3 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

"Continue the story in 3 words"

Hey, leave that thread out of this. lol :lol:

Just kidding. :)

Seriously, I have nothing to add to this thread (because I'm not at that level in this hobby) and there is alot of action going on here but if I ever move to matrix and P10 stuff, I'll know where to go. :D

So with "Continue the story in 3 words" as previously mentioned...

carry on folks :ph34r:

On 1/29/2018 at 4:19 PM, Ebuechner said:

Doesn't seem to be much of a lag time in bridge mode. 

Question.  I understand the Ethernet requirement for the ColorLight.  Can I assume you are connecting your E1.31 network to a gigabit switch with another port connected to the Ethernet port of the Pi, and another port connected to the ColorLight?  Or did you provide another gigabit Ethernet adapter for the Pi (USB based presumably) to connect to the ColorLight.  I guess the third option would be to use the on-board WiFi of the Pi to connect to your E1.31 network and using the wired Ethernet connection by way of a gigabit switch to drive the ColorLight.

Hey brichi,  Where did you order the ColorLight from that has a reasonable turn around?  All I could find was really slow boat from China

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Question.  I understand the Ethernet requirement for the ColorLight.  Can I assume you are connecting your E1.31 network to a gigabit switch with another port connected to the Ethernet port of the Pi, and another port connected to the ColorLight?  Or did you provide another gigabit Ethernet adapter for the Pi (USB based presumably) to connect to the ColorLight.  I guess the third option would be to use the on-board WiFi of the Pi to connect to your E1.31 network and using the wired Ethernet connection by way of a gigabit switch to drive the ColorLight.

Computer> gigabit Ethernet switch for show> Pi's built-in ethernet> USB 3.0 to gigabit Ethernet adapter> colorlight card connected to LED panels.

And to answer your second question slow boat from China seems to be the only option. 

6 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Hey brichi,  Where did you order the ColorLight from that has a reasonable turn around?  All I could find was really slow boat from China

I grabbed this one, they shipped it right away but it is coming from China so who knows when i'll get it lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272481069287

1 hour ago, Ebuechner said:

Computer> gigabit Ethernet switch for show> Pi's built-in ethernet> USB 3.0 to gigabit Ethernet adapter> colorlight card connected to LED panels.

And to answer your second question slow boat from China seems to be the only option. 

Thanks.  I read some discussion on the FPP forum about some gigabit USB adapters not working with the Pi.  Which one did you use?

35 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Thanks.  I read some discussion on the FPP forum about some gigabit USB adapters not working with the Pi.  Which one did you use?

That particular discussion was me.

I made the mistake of buying a couple of the Amazon basic USB to ethernet adapters that didn't seem to be compatible. 

I ended up buying a Best Buy house brand insignia 3.0 to gigabit Ethernet adapter. 

I also picked up a trendnet USB 3.0 to gigabit Ethernet adapter that works

Thanks for that update.  I’ve read so much on several forums and a few other places after starting to work on P10 stuff, that I don’t necessarily remember where I read and who said what ?.  I’m doing well to remember at least most of the content - I hope...

8 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

Thanks.  I have a ColorLight on order via Amazon.  It's shipping from China with a four to six week ETA.  Also have a USB to gigabit Ethernet adapter that will be in in a couple days.  In theory, I really don't need to go the ColorLight route but heck, I'm largely doing this whole P10 panel stuff as much to learn stuff, so what the heck!  I have even thought about getting a sender card that will take DVI video and convert that to directly drive the receiver card.  Decided to hold off on that for now.  If I build a large matrix to go on the wall I might look at that in more detail.  The wall is behind where the pixel tree was for 2012 & 13 as shown in the first photo below.  The pixel tree moved starting in 2014 (as shown in the second photo), so that's just a big empty space looking for something to do.

PixelTree.sm.jpg   2014_Pixel_Tree.jpg

I know you're doing this to learn stuff but have you ever considered using the pi to do a virtual Matrix with a projector on that wall?

To me it makes more sense on many levels. 

14 minutes ago, Ebuechner said:

I know you're doing this to learn stuff but have you ever considered using the pi to do a virtual Matrix with a projector on that wall?

To me it makes more sense on many levels. 

If I was going to use a projector, I would not need the Pi, just take video out from the show computer to drive the projector.  Interesting point.  Not sure I want to leave a projector out for two months in the rain and / or sprinklers.  As that location is at least somewhat weather protected, I could put a screen there without it getting ruined.  In any case, that is a ways down the road before I go that far with this.

• 2 weeks later...

After Reading this whole post, I have a few questions regarding the controllers, I noticed that Colorlight card is talked about but I was wonder if you can do animation Graphics or is it specifically use for Video control and can you hook directly to your computer to control the ColorLight? Also I understand from all the chat the difference between BBB and Pi but still not sure which one is the best.

Just to give you and Idea I am looking at going to use a 32 panel and then 4 panels for a light pole text message. So I am not sure if it is cheaper to purchase the kit or just P10 or P5 panels then the other controllers. 

Would someone be willing to have a chat with me over the phone to help me get a clearer picture?

Thanks

I’m off to bed, so can’t give a long answer now.  I’ll give s detailed answer in the morning, or more than happy to chat on the phone.  PM me a number and when works (include time zone).

ok so I have 12 P10 panels up and running in LOR and Xlights   setup in LOR pixel Editor as matrix  runs fine in Pixel Editor.  My question is I ran a test sequence in X-lights and converted to LOR S4 so far so good now how do you assign 18,532  channels overlapping universes in  S4  to match the sequence I know you normally just import channel config  but first you need to setup channels  1 channel at a time that will take forever anybody have any ideas   Thanks Dennis

hate to jump in but I have the bug

I am looking to do a 5w 4 h panel I plan to put it on my porch. now I can place a piece of plexiglass in front of it and the porch has a roof with a one foot overhang.

my question is should I go with the led express kit or would you go with ray

any imput is apreciated

once again thank you all

larry

I bought my p10 panels from Ray Wu   Got them in a week , DIY express  didn't have any kits in stock. Try  Crocket Fantacy of lights they just started selling. Kits 

I lost the link to rays panels also I live in the northeast should I spend the extra and get the outdoor panels

thanks in advance forall sugestions

larry