Light-O-Rama Forums

How Long Is Your Entire Show?

DisneyMatt10

8 hours ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

Side point, is the Frozen song still a big hit. 

That is another great thing about MIIP. You know what songs people are voting on the most, and Yes it was still very popular still this past year.

Last year was my first year with LOR and I had about 25 songs. I created different shows for different nights with the longest show being about 25 minutes. I am a big fan of creating dark space. I dont want things running non-stop So an average if I want a show every 30 minutes the show length can not be more than 15 minutes. I also have shows for low key and quieter evenings like Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, I have a mid-week excitement show Wednesday and Thursday, and then on Friday and Saturday I go full bore withy everything randomized into full shows. On Christmas even I run non-stop and Christmas days as well. When the shows do not run I first black out and start slow fading patterns but never turn everything on until the show and keep some features just for the show. I also had songs I did not incorporate until later in the season. I gave people a reason to come back over and over.

Having worked on productions and in night clubs that was always my approach to lighting. Build, climax, drop build more, climax bigger and edge the excitement up to the big blow out on Christmas.

Right now I'm up to 31 sequences completed pushing for another 10. My show starts every night at dark and runs all the sequences until it repeats and I do this till midnight. Generally I pushed about 3 hours before there's a repeat people like coming back again and again and hearing different stuff. 

I've never had a problem running at this way and all the years have been doing it and nobody's ever suggested doing it different. 

our show is only 35 minutes this year- usually 1 hour but we have on street closure because of one pain in the butt neighbor....show runs continuously from 6-10pm...we had 40,000 people last year over 35 days- we cant take breaks the peeps would be pissed!

2 hours ago, Ebuechner said:

Right now I'm up to 31 sequences completed pushing for another 10. My show starts every night at dark and runs all the sequences until it repeats and I do this till midnight. Generally I pushed about 3 hours before there's a repeat people like coming back again and again and hearing different stuff. 

I've never had a problem running at this way and all the years have been doing it and nobody's ever suggested doing it different. 

This is what I do as well with my 30+ songs. But...I used MIIP last year which I must say is a game changer.  Can't wait to get things going for this season

I went the route of having an A show and a B show that alternate days.  Each show is then broken down into an early show (more songs that kids like) and a late show.  The sub-shows average about 15 min in length and constantly repeat (i.e. the early show plays from about 5pm - 7:30 ish and then the late show goes from 7:30 to 10:30 ish).  This year I finally have enough music to have a C show for that odd week day.

For my display, I usually see people just stopping for a little bit.  I hardly ever see anyone stay for the full 15 minutes of a show.  Plus I like always having something playing.

On 10/20/2017 at 7:20 AM, Santas Helper said:

Jeff, I would suggest creating a new topic and ask this question. You'll get more feedback this way.

I hate to hijack threads, but I also feel like my silly questions aren't worthy of their own threads so I just threw it out there.

On 9/21/2017 at 12:25 PM, k6ccc said:

If I were you, I would just drop the 17 minutes of static.  That way there is always something playing.

Me too, I tried that the first year to try to minimize traffic and just got a bunch of complaints.  In my show most people didn't want to wait the 8 minutes or so from the show to start again, remember most people will have small kids in the car to see the lights.  The will get bored quickly.  My show is about 40 minutes on a continuous loop in the past but I am thinking of doing a shorter show this year and run them on alternating days.I may try the MIIP this year just for me, not sure I will have the time yet.