Light-O-Rama Forums

How Long Is Your Entire Show?

DisneyMatt10

5 hours ago, B.Y.R.G. said:

No particular reason for the length other than I'm sick of sequencing for this year.

I totally get that. LOL

• Like 1

As others have mentioned, I don't believe there is a specific time max or min.

I do know from my experience people do come to see specific songs..repeatedly.  If its a long time between...ding dong!!! "Excuse me, can  you make the lights play ........"  (Oh, Frozen...)  I haven't gotten into the MIIP program but if you are running a long show might be something to consider. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think I have 43 minutes of original content, followed by 17 minutes of static display.  I've never had someone sit for the entire show (my street doesn't really make this an option), so my goal is to eventually have a full 60 minutes so that anyone pulling up to the house at any time will see SOMETHING other than a static display.

We're dark this year, but I'm considering MIIP for next year as an option as well.

2 minutes ago, Jaynee said:

I think I have 43 minutes of original content, followed by 17 minutes of static display.  I've never had someone sit for the entire show (my street doesn't really make this an option), so my goal is to eventually have a full 60 minutes so that anyone pulling up to the house at any time will see SOMETHING other than a static display.

If I were you, I would just drop the 17 minutes of static.  That way there is always something playing.

3 minutes ago, Jaynee said:

We're dark this year, but I'm considering MIIP for next year as an option as well.

I wanted to try MIIP last year but found it would not run on either Windows XP (my show computer) nor Windows Server 2012 r2 (the file server).  Yesterday I ordered a new show computer so the old XP computer will get retired.  Getting away from XP will solve two problems for me.  I had The Demented Elf do a MIIP specific voice file for me.

5 hours ago, k6ccc said:

If I were you, I would just drop the 17 minutes of static.  That way there is always something playing.

Me too. That will run off alot of potential viewers wanting to see something. Thinking the show is broke or over for the night. People don't have time or patience to sit around during the holidays waiting for something to happen. Unless your Disneyland.

I agree with Santa's Helper, people will leave if your show stops so on my show as it stands right now i have over 75  songs on a mini director set to loop continuously and when nears the end it says goodnight and lets people know the show will start again the next night .also my shows length is 3 and a half hours 6:30 to 9:30 all month long starting Black Friday to Dec. 31st

13 hours ago, Godney said:

I agree with Santa's Helper, people will leave if your show stops so on my show as it stands right now i have over 75  songs on a mini director set to loop continuously and when nears the end it says goodnight and lets people know the show will start again the next night .also my shows length is 3 and a half hours 6:30 to 9:30 all month long starting Black Friday to Dec. 31st

Yeah, I've thought about doing that, but I also like the idea of giving my neighbors a bit of a break from having cars parked  on our very busy and narrow street (ours is the main street to get in and out of the neighborhood, and our streets are only 2-cars wide so if someone stops in front of my house, it's a single lane for cars to get by in both directions).

Well Jaynee luckily where i live is on a main st, but it is very wide plenty of room to get around, and my neighbors  thank God love the show it is the heart  of the neighborhood at Christmastime it brings many people together.

Hi, This year will be my first show. I plan on doing 14 Minute Shows with a 1 minutes thank you for coming greeting, this will be my regular show. I will also have special shows for Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Years, Weekends, which will be around 18 Minutes long and 2 thank you for coming greetings.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/10/2017 at 10:54 AM, Santas Helper said:

While it may seem like a good idea to have people wait to amp up excitement, alot of folks are busy and may not want to wait. Patience is not very forgiving during the holidays. 

Just my thoughts.

It all depends on your neighborhood and traffic concerns.  If you are in an area where cars line up 2 miles down the road to see your house and block traffic, and little down time helps keep the line moving.  Length of show has to be different depending on where you're located.  If we didn't do that our poor neighbors would never be able to get home.  lol

On 9/10/2017 at 9:54 AM, Santas Helper said:

While it may seem like a good idea to have people wait to amp up excitement, alot of folks are busy and may not want to wait. Patience is not very forgiving during the holidays. 

Just my thoughts.

I agree with SH on this.   It seems to me that limiting the show with breaks just encourages guests to wait around for the break to be over or sends them away disapponted.   My display has no real 'show' times.  The songs are playing all the time so people know they can come anytime its dark.  This gives them flexibility to come when its not so crowded.    I also dont want people to sit through songs they dont like, using up a front row spot,  while waiting for a particular song.   Guests who are present can pick the song they want to hear using miip and then move along and come again another day often to play the same favorite again. 

This has been playing overnight for the last 5 years.   https://vimeo.com/74244171

Edited by ItsMeBobO
  • Like 2

Very well said Bobo. And I've got to get myself spooled up on your miip. I know that's gotta be cool. Just gotta set aside time to learn it and implement it.

1 hour ago, dougd said:

Hopefully this year I can talk the wife into letting me do the all night show.

Dougd, what are you wanting to do for all night?  You're maybe giving me ideas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, dougd said:

LOL. Guess i should have worded that  a bit different.

Good way to avoid answering the question Doug. LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My show is also short, about 14 minutes.  Side point, is the Frozen song still a big hit.  I'm only in my 4th Christmas and I felt like I missed the boat on the popularity of it so I only play the classics.  It's getting down to the wire and my Halloween show is up and going, should I get this song into my playlist?

6 hours ago, Jefffrompawpaw said:

Side point, is the Frozen song still a big hit.  I'm only in my 4th Christmas and I felt like I missed the boat on the popularity of it so I only play the classics.  It's getting down to the wire and my Halloween show is up and going, should I get this song into my playlist?

Jeff, I would suggest creating a new topic and ask this question. You'll get more feedback this way.