Light-O-Rama Forums

Question CCR How to extened the ribbon to controller ?

IGOR

Hi!  I was building a 12 to 16 channel CCR Christmas Tree and came to a problem. The cable on the ribbon from the CCR's were not long enough to go from bottom of the ribbon to the controller box at base of tree. I really don't want to cut and splice, but would like to plug in an extension cable of some kind. I'm waiting on a reply from LOR, but I don't expect they sell extensions. Some one must have solved this problem in the past. Does any one know of where to get the plugs and jacks so I can make up extensions for the CCR's?

Posted by DevMike Sept 17 2014:

We do not recommend extending the leads for Cosmic Color Bulbs, Pixels, or Ribbons. 

CCDs are digital devices - that means there is not just power running on the wires, but data as well. The timing signals sent across those wires have little room for tolerance and after about 6 feet this becomes a real issue. Best practice is to keep the controller as close to the Cosmic Color Device string as possible.

This post may help you out:

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/22738-replacement-4-pin-connector-for-ccr-to-controller/

Totally unsupported and definitely not documented but if you need a longer run and you are losing signal you should look into the concept of a null pixel.  You would lose one pixel off the end of your string but it would solve the distance issue.

1 have a 12 ribbon tree. I use the other 4 slots on the controller for 4 circles. The circles range from about 60' to 45' away from the controller. I did not experience ANY issues. The "We do not recommend" line doesn't mean it can't be done. But, my experience may not be someone else's experience.

Thanks CJCRUZ    I just order the connectors and pins from DiGi.  I'll give it a try. Now I'll have the controllers for the CCR's in a water tight box along with my controller for the star. All in one place, easy to get at and wire up. I just didn't want them up on, or near the star. I'm just trying to stay off the roof.  I'll take photos when its  complete, working or not.

• 2 months later...

StatusI got the connects and they fit fine. I had to buy 4 conductor flat cable on Ebay from a model train supplier. Just got the other 4 CCRs and that will make it a 16 CCR tree. Its starting to come together now. Waiting now on the weather to paint the elbows black for the extensions to go up into my box. I just want the water from getting in the box. Some one suggested 12' between CCR's at base and another suggested 9" at the base. I'm thinking of doing the 9" but once I drill the 2X6 boards on the base that will be it. I won't beable to undue that and go to 12".  How do you all vote to set CCR's apart?  9 or 12 ?

• The topic was locked