Light-O-Rama Forums

PixCon 16 Blowing Fuses

greenvillehughes

I just purchased a couple of PixCon 16 controllers.

I hooked up a few strings of WS2811 pixels, 12V, 100 pixels per string.

One string per port.

I am blowing fuses at the ports when all the lights are on.

Using the rule of thumb, 3 pixels per watt, I figure each string is pulling around 33 watts.

At 12V that comes to under 4 amps which is what the port fuses are rated at.

Anyone else having this happen to them?

Thanks for your help.

When dealing with electricity, 'rules of thumb' can sometimes be wrong :)

Contact the mfg, and ask them the total draw on a single pixel lit WHITE at full brightness.  Then use those numbers.

Where did you get your lights? I personally have never seen 100 pixel strings rated at only 33w. That sounds more like 50 pixel strings.

I agree wilth Mr. P, that 33 watts for 100 pixels seems pretty low.  Get out an amp meter and measure them.  If you find that they are drawing 6 amps, the solution is NOT to put in 8 amp fuses!  The proper solution would most likely be to split the strings and feed the second half of each string through a separate fuse.  I can draw a schematic for that if needed.  I will have to do that for next year assuming I make the changes I plan on for my pixel tree.

usually, each led element is roughly .020 amps, times 3 per pixel; so .060 per pixel; times 100 pixels = 6.0 amps per 100 count pixel string if all 300 leds(which would make white) are on at the same time; 6 amps times 12 volts = 72 watts

• The topic was locked