Light-O-Rama Forums

CMB24 Only the first 12 channels working other half is dead

jstomasi

I have 2 CMB24's bothe with 4 spots and 4 rgb dumb ribbons.  One works fine.  The other only the first 12 channels or one half the unit are working.  When running hardware utility to test the last 4 RGB channels will not fire.

I am thinking it could be the fuse, which I will test first, but am open to any other possible reasons.  I have to wait until the rain stops to get on the roof and check out the controller.

Thanks

JT

Check the fuse. Half of mine stopped working today, replaced the fuse and all is well.

I picked up fuses today just haven't gotten on the roof yet to try it.  I will try either tomorrow or Saturday.  

Question Randy7801, did you get 30 amp 220v fuses? 

I was only able to find 30amp 120v today.  Hope these work.

JT

Well jstomasi, I see you live here in the good old USA. So I would assume that your using 110V, so 120V rated fuses should do just tine. Unless your crazy and ran 220V to the controller and have 220V lights or step down transformers. Then you would need 220V rated fuses.

Well jstomasi, I see you live here in the good old USA. So I would assume that your using 110V, so 120V rated fuses should do just tine. Unless your crazy and ran 220V to the controller and have 220V lights or step down transformers. Then you would need 220V rated fuses.

220v in a CMB24D would blow the controller.

Voltage on  fuses doesn't matter much. A 30amp fuse would be good for protecting your controller, as the controller can handle a maximum of 30 ampers. Maybe the OP used 220v fuses as they were easier to find for that amperage. Maybe there are more applications that require 220v 30 amp than 120v 30 amp over there. I am in the UK so everything is 220v.

You could also get a fuse that is rated at the maximum (Or a little more) than your power supply, as long as your power supply's maximum is under 30 amps. This will protect both the CMB24D and the power supply from overload.

So obviously you can tell I am not en electrician.

At any rate I tried trouble shooting by taking the fuse from the other controller and still the same result. I just swapped them.

I am at a loss now. Is it the power supply? Is it possible for half of it to go bad? Or mane the board is dead.

Has anyone had their cmb24 board go bad.

I am open to other trouble shooting ideas

if you have VOM check for voltage going to board see if you have power coming out on both sets of power wires from power supply.

if no VOM you can switch the wires and see if the problem changed to the other side. that will let you know if its the power supply.

I hate to ask you do have the power wires connected to all power in for the cmb24, there is power connection for each side of the board 

if you have VOM check for voltage going to board see if you have power coming out on both sets of power wires from power supply.

if no VOM you can switch the wires and see if the problem changed to the other side. that will let you know if its the power supply.

I hate to ask you do have the power wires connected to all power in for the cmb24, there is power connection for each side of the board 

Last question first, yes both leads are plugged in. to their respective sides.  

So my plan for today's trouble shooting expedition was to do exactly that.  At around 1:30PM today after the ice had melted off the back side of the roof I Switched the leads to see if it was the power supply.  Funny thing, after I switched them and fired the unit back up, ran HU, magically all systems are now a go.  I guess great minds thing alike!!!

So to anyone having the same issue, I believe disconnecting the leads from the power supply and swapping them must have reset something inside the power supply having to do with LOAD.  Or something...  The only thing I can think of related to root cause is that I purchased a second CMB 24 this year with plans to run both 8 dumb RGB ribbons and 8 RGB Floods (10w) on my roof.  I purchased a bunch of extension dongles and wanted to centrally locate them on the back side of the chimney.  I did just that and had up to 30 + feet of extension dongle plugged into the farthest ribbon and flood respectively.  The only thing I can think of is something to do with the length of the wire and initial load on the power supply tripped something up in it or possibly it was locked into an old value or something.

Net net, they are functioning.  I will monitor to assure we are out of the woods on this one.

Thanks all for your trouble shooting ideas.

Hello,

I'm having the same problem with cmb24d. I switched the power supply wires and same problem, switched to new cmb24 and same problem. I have voltage @12.05 VDC on both sides of board but only 1-12 are firing @ 4.99 VDC. Zero volts on 13-24, reset DIP #12 same result.

Thanks for any help,

Paul

• The topic was locked