Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon 16: Power Supply Recommendations

beckntrav

Good Morning All!!

I purchased (2) Pixcon 16 boards on the summer sale.  Now I need to find power supplies for them.  I presume I should look for the largest power supply the Pixcon 16 board can handle. 

Any recommendations on a good deal?

It depends on what pixels you intend to run! You can buy either 5V or 12V pixels. Once you have made that choice you can then buy a power supply. I have gone the 12 V route simply because I read that it cuts down on the need for power injection. I bought a 12V 360W power supply to go with it.

Amazon sells the power supplies at good prices.

We suggest Meanwell drivers.  They are high quality and can be had in versions that are good down to at least -30 deg.  You need to purchase the voltage/amperage that your setup requires.

When we start selling them, Meanwell will be our driver of choice.

I have these modules

led module

3 LEDs per module

WS2811 IC

Working voltage: DC12V

Power: 0.72W

My plan is to build (5) props with 96 of these modules. Each prop would go to a port. If my math is right, that's about 70 watts per port. Does that mean a 350 watt power supply is just enough for these 5 ports?

I don't know the complete specs of the Pixcon16 but here are some things you may want to consider according to your specs:

1) You should never max out a power supply, always try to figure in a 20% overhead.

2) Your specs would pull 5.8 amps per prop, most boards are configured for 4 amps per port.

3) Total amps pulled would be 29 for all 5 props, I don't know the max amps for the board (30-60 maybe?) and the power supply you are considering is maxed at 29 amps so you would need two.

Just some things to think about. 

Edited by Mr. P

You can still use those power supplies you will just need two, one for bank 1 and one for bank 2. just keep it around 280-300 watts per bank and no more then 4 amps per channel.

You also need to consider how much time will be spent on full on white which is max power.

Edited by Mr. P

• 2 weeks later...

If I want to use all channel with the maximum LEDs per channel, am I correct in the following....

My LEDs modules are 12v > 0.7w = .06 amp

60 modules on a channel = 12v > 42w = 3.6amp

Loading all 16 channels = 12v > 672w = 57.6amp

Power supplies? - (2) 12v- 400w - 40a

If I wanted to load the 2nd bank lighter,can I use two different power supplies?

Ex /

Power supplies - (1) 12v- 400w - 40a - bank 1

(1) 12v- 200w - 20a - bank 2

Why put a different PS on bank 2? The Pixcon is 32a per bank so your bank 2 PS would not be large enough for how you are loading it. Keep in in mind that each bank is powered separately. 

The way you are loading the controller you would need two of the 12v-400w-40a PS.

Could you use a lighter PS? Yes, but why?

Edited by Mr. P

Power supplies? - (2) 12v- 400w - 40a

If I wanted to load the 2nd bank lighter,can I use two different power supplies?

Ex /

Power supplies - (1) 12v- 400w - 40a - bank 1

(1) 12v- 200w - 20a - bank 2

12v-400w is only 33.3Amps not 40.

The difference in price between one 200w & a 400w is minimal. Plus this will leave you some headroom.

My thought of using two power supplies is for cost control only. If I use bank 1 for near max load but only need a 50% load on bank 2 ( smaller props ), I could then spend $20 less per power supply for all 5 controllers

I could then spend $20 less per power supply for all 5 controllers

Where were you buying your power supplies from?

A $20 difference seems high. You can get a 400w - 12V supply for $20 here.

• 3 weeks later...

Where were you buying your power supplies from?

A $20 difference seems high. You can get a 400w - 12V supply for $20 here.

Ummmmm....shipping is $28.22. The power supply is $20. This saves how much??

• The topic was locked