Light-O-Rama Forums

How much do you have invested?

Dcroc

With age I've learned to not ask myself questions I don't want the answers to. So the better question is "how much don't I spend on Christmas lights?"

That is to say I paid my bills, my kids are dressed/taken care of, met my savings goals, and I stop keeping track after that.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dgrant

• George Simmons

• Dcroc

• Mega Arch

I stopped keeping track of all of it, and when I told my wife her dream of lighting just the "mega tree" was around $4500 when it was done, she told me don't tell me ever again..  i should have had her put it in writing :)

Alan

20131127-tree-with-pipe.jpg

Now that's a "Mega-Tree"!

Just to clarify..in my house- its a 100% agreement on how much and what we buy..no surprises or secrets...its better that way and much more enjoyable when both spouses are in agreement and involved.....just my personal opinion  :-)

Just to clarify..in my house- its a 100% agreement on how much and what we buy..no surprises or secrets...its better that way and much more enjoyable when both spouses are in agreement and involved.....just my personal opinion  :-)

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

That's code for he has access to your social media.

We got ya.

I have been asked this many, many times, from vistors to reporters for articles, to radio and TV personalities. My response has been the same since the very beginning:

"That is on a need to know basis, and I don't need to know"

Always gets a chuckle out of folks. The sad fact, is, it's true........

Edited by zman

I chose the word "investment" because I thought it may make those in denial more likely to even open the thread.

After reading some of the responses, I am now aware that I don't have a problem. Some of YOU have a problem. "15K", "25k"???  Although I have ignored a bill or two in preference to my hobby,  I am like the guy doing the drug before it really becomes a problem. I can afford a bit more denial before I have to face the fact that I can't stop. There are signs of it becoming a problem in the near future, though.  I'm hiding credit card bills from the wife, and the "just going for milk" means "running to the flee market to look for props". I am also starting to stay up alone at night, and work on new sequences that I keep a secret, and keeping a constant eye on the door so I can catch the UPS guy before the wife see's him. The biggest sign is that my wife has NO IDEA how much I have spent on this stuff. She thought it was overboard when I spent $1600 on the starter kit. I wouldn't want to having a stroke, so I don't discuss it (typical addict excuse, I know, but still in denial").

That being said, I have never done anything I like in any other way than a BIG way. Hopefully, by the time I am a light strung out addict, you people will have pathed the way for a rehab center for the rest of us. I feel much better after these responses, but am aware that I am on a dangerous path.

The first sign you ARE an addict. is denial..... ;)   

My view would be, I'd be happy to control their lights from mine but they need to put up their own lights and provide for their electricity to my controller(s) that I would position in their yard. As it is, our community wants me to do the lights down at the community entrance/water falls too. I won't be controlling those as I don't wish to chance losing a controller or two.

This year we are expanding to ALL the neighbors on our street...16 houses total..its a lot of work be sooo going to be worth it when they all light up together and we officially become Santa Claus Lane!!!!!!!!!!

This year we are expanding to ALL the neighbors on our street...16 houses total..its a lot of work be sooo going to be worth it when they all light up together and we officially become Santa Claus Lane!!!!!!!!!!

That would be so cool to do or achieve. Please, post videos here online when its all done and running. Would love to see it.

...and keeping a constant eye on the door so I can catch the UPS guy before the wife see's him..

Easier solution to that.  I have anything shipped to me come to work rather than home.  Actually the big reason for that is that for parts of the day there is no one home, but UPS and FedEx both already get to our shop every day and there is always someone there to sign for stuff.  It does make it easier to hide something from my wife, but generally I don't do that anyway.

2014 was my first year. 20 grand at the least! Had nothing so I started from scratch.

Yikes! A quick filter of my credit card records say $18K. How did that happen? We're about done growing. Tear down kicked my ass last season. Anything we do now has to make things easier or at least be able to be repurposed from Halloween to Christmas.

To move my lights from the garage and attic I built a 20 x 30 detached garage with 10ft ceilings to store my current 120,000 light 704 channel display and to build more. Oh, did I mention that I put a shower and toilet in it too....my Christmas light man cave.

To move my lights from the garage and attic I built a 20 x 30 detached garage with 10ft ceilings to store my current 120,000 light 704 channel display and to build more. Oh, did I mention that I put a shower and toilet in it too....my Christmas light man cave.

Now that's dedication!

I made my son smile the first night the house "Danced to the Lights" = Priceless

Seeing the grandkids eyes light up in amazement, then dancing in the driveway to the lights and music, hearing kids and parents in the cars singing along to songs they know... makes the costs of doing it, all worth it. If I/we manage to bring some happiness and some good old fashion Christmas Spirit to even one person, its money well spent.

Wish I could do that!

• The topic was locked