Light-O-Rama Forums

How much do you have invested?

Dcroc

Are you kidding asking that question. My wife has access to this site and she knows my handle. I'd be dead if I actually released that number.

Dont look now, but I think you just incriminated yourself anyway.   :lol:

Lets just say that I rather not think about it. All of the overtime hours to just pay for it. While I could be home on weekends working on my BBQ and smoking technics. That and buying a DJ3 drone.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dgrant

• George Simmons

• Dcroc

• Mega Arch

12 CCR's = 3k

20 1602's = 4k roughly

2 x $7000 light string orders = 14k

CCP's 10w flood kits = 1k

strobes = 1.5-2k

stars, rope light, net lights, light spools

one billion extension cords, building materials, enclosures, security system

I'm sure there's more...

damn...

shouldn't have figured this out

1st year about $1k, Second year was lean, so just enough to replace bad LED strings, Last year about another 7 or 800. This year if things work out it will be about another 1k. Currently at 32chanels + 2 string RGB (1 unit) Depending on if they have another sale before summer is out, and what kind of funds are available, I would like to add 1 more of each a 16ch and another RGB unit. If I hit the lottery, forget about it!!

A better question may be "how many friends do have left?" Everyone is so tired of me talking about Christmas lights in june, that nobody wants to hang with me anymore.

This includes my wife! :lol:

As for how much I spent it's north of $20000, I try not to think about it

We're also north of 20K. But it's all a matter of perspective, how you do the math, and maybe what you compare it to.

Some guys drink, some guys smoke, some guys gamble. Some go fishing, some go hunting, some ride their Harleys every chance they get. Some do all the above. And that's fine with me. I never enjoyed getting drunk, I finally quit smoking back when cigs were still under $5 a pack, I get seasick easily in small boats, hate handling live fish and don't like gutting deer.

My neighbours, via their puffing and chugging, buy the equivalent of four 70 ct strings of LED lights (pre-season prices) every day. The ones on the other side bought the equivalent of 110+ sets of CCPs with a pontoon boat. A buddy just bought a new Harley rather than 160 CCRs and then he bought a new hunting rifle instead of dozen FM transmitters.

We all have our priorities. I play with Christmas lights all year (even earn a few clams doing it) and Sharon knows exactly where I am and what I'm doing practically all the time. When I explain it like that, I can easily convince myself I need another controller.

That may be the worst part of this hobby.  I spend much more time shopping for things I could add, rather than programming what I already have. I am a compulsive spender, and this may very well be the worst hobby for someone with my problem.

Investment? Investment you expect to get some kind of return...

Not going to happen.

My wife has a ball park idea of the value of the controllers in case something happens to me.

I chose the word "investment" because I thought it may make those in denial more likely to even open the thread.

After reading some of the responses, I am now aware that I don't have a problem. Some of YOU have a problem. "15K", "25k"???  Although I have ignored a bill or two in preference to my hobby,  I am like the guy doing the drug before it really becomes a problem. I can afford a bit more denial before I have to face the fact that I can't stop. There are signs of it becoming a problem in the near future, though.  I'm hiding credit card bills from the wife, and the "just going for milk" means "running to the flee market to look for props". I am also starting to stay up alone at night, and work on new sequences that I keep a secret, and keeping a constant eye on the door so I can catch the UPS guy before the wife see's him. The biggest sign is that my wife has NO IDEA how much I have spent on this stuff. She thought it was overboard when I spent $1600 on the starter kit. I wouldn't want to having a stroke, so I don't discuss it (typical addict excuse, I know, but still in denial").

That being said, I have never done anything I like in any other way than a BIG way. Hopefully, by the time I am a light strung out addict, you people will have pathed the way for a rehab center for the rest of us. I feel much better after these responses, but am aware that I am on a dangerous path.

Edited by Dcroc

I'm not saying.   

My wife is so understanding, that she's never even once asked, but she's no dummy either.    Out of respect to her, I don't wave it around giving her plausible deniability.

Heck, I don't even want to know.

I stopped keeping track of all of it, and when I told my wife her dream of lighting just the "mega tree" was around $4500 when it was done, she told me don't tell me ever again..  i should have had her put it in writing :)

Alan

20131127-tree-with-pipe.jpg

I think I'm at about $4,000 and seriously, there's not much room left for more...maybe its a good thing!

... there's not much room left for more...

Have you got things up on the roof yet? Neighbors yard?

Have you got things up on the roof yet? Neighbors yard?

Got one neighbor who volunteered their yard/house. I've not checked with them yet this year. I could easily expand into their yard but they need to do some of the work.

I could easily expand into their yard but they need to do some of the work.

LOL...good luck with that!!

LOL...good luck with that!!

My view would be, I'd be happy to control their lights from mine but they need to put up their own lights and provide for their electricity to my controller(s) that I would position in their yard. As it is, our community wants me to do the lights down at the community entrance/water falls too. I won't be controlling those as I don't wish to chance losing a controller or two.

My neighbor offered the use of his house and yard.  I told him he was paying the electric.  I don't think he's smart enough or detail-oriented enough to pull something like this off on his own, so I've never asked, expected or even desired his help setting up.  I believe it's far easier and quicker to just do it myself.