Light-O-Rama Forums

How much do you have invested?

Dcroc

My first year, I dropped about $2500.  My wife hit the ceiling when she saw the bill just for the "starter" kit ($1600).  She stopped paying attention to the cost of this hobby after that, as she didn't want to shorten her lifespan.  I want to say, going into my second year, I will probably hit the $4000 mark by Christmas.  Just wondering if this is an example of "normal" for people that start in this hobby, or is it a bit over the top? What has everyone invested in the hobby so far?  What did you start with?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dgrant

• George Simmons

• Dcroc

• Mega Arch

My first year, I dropped about $2500. My wife hit the ceiling when she saw the bill just for the "starter" kit ($1600). She stopped paying attention to the cost of this hobby after that, as she didn't want to shorten her lifespan. I want to say, going into my second year, I will probably hit the $4000 mark by Christmas. Just wondering if this is an example of "normal" for people that start in this hobby, or is it a bit over the top? What has everyone invested in the hobby so far? What did you start with?

You must be hitting all the right sales!!

I'd say you're below normal.

But I'm sure you'll go over budget this year and be closer.

My first year I planned on starting small with 2 controllers and using the lights I had (around 50,000).  By the time Thanksgiving came around I had 4 AC controllers and 2 DC controllers and all new Dumb Strips around the eaves. Pushed the light count to over 63k.  Even I had to stop adding it up after that.  Each year it gets bigger and bigger.  Now I'm over 12 controllers and this year adding DMX to the mix.  Now I give myself a budget on how much I CAN spend and do my BEST to not spend twice as much.

Do I have to include the cost of the drone I want to buy so that I can get aerial shots of my lights?  :P

Not factoring that in, I'm probably over 5K and growing.  As others have said, you can certainly spend as much as you want on this hobby. 

Last year I was at 8K.

I don't even want to know anymore!

After January I did decide it was time to cut back and I will slowly make changes.

I need a display which is quick and easy to set up. That is the current path.

I've said it before, but probably should go in this thread too.

If something happened to me, I hope she sells it all for what it's worth and not what she thinks we paid.

I'm sure you all would tell her she wasn't asking enough and would pay more than she posted.

Just saying.

A better question may be "how many friends do have left?" Everyone is so tired of me talking about Christmas lights in june, that nobody wants to hang with me anymore.

Edited by Dcroc

30 string pixel tree   12ccr tree  10 ac lor controllers  10 dc controllers  12 mini trees  3 arches  2fire poles   virtual santa   pixels outling house   5 36 watt floods  10 wire frames  tune to sign   fm transmitter 3 gobo projectors  .how much  $  don't know quit counting.

I started in 2008 with 9 regular controllers and mostly incan lights that I already had. As of today, I've got 103 separate LOR control boxes (with a total of 124 unit IDs) and have replaced virtually every incan with either LED or RGB. We stopped counting lights in 2010, extension cords in 2011, and dollars in 2012. Sharon doesn't ask because she knows I'll lie, and I don't volunteer information that I know will only cause consternation.

I pleaeded the 5th on grounds that it will incriminate me...at

least in the eyes of my wife.

Not really a question to be asking actually.  Perhaps how much time.. but $$???  Not so much

The first rule of fight club...is we don't talk about fight club.

Also

The first rule of lighting budgets is we don't talk about light budgets.

I've told my wife the resale value of the display in case she needs to know. I don't want ya'll telling her controllers are $25 and pixel strings are $2.

I've told my wife the resale value of the display in case she needs to know. I don't want ya'll telling her controllers are $25 and pixel strings are $2.

Interesting. I've done the same. I even put it on a spreadsheet along with the resale value of each type of item, but didn't do any kind of head count. No sense starting a fight. She'll have to do that part when the time comes.

Are you kidding asking that question. My wife has access to this site and she knows my handle. I'd be dead if I actually released that number.