Light-O-Rama Forums

Bandwidth capacity of ELL's?

Vince LeGrand

I have an ELL located in the same room as my PC.  It transmits to 3 ELL's at various locations in my yard.  Each of those 3 ELL's is connected (via a 6 foot Cat5e cable) to a pair of LOR controllers. I am adding some CCB's to my display this year.  I am planning to connect them to one of the LOR controllers in the yard. 

My question is whether the ELL's can handle the bandwidth demands for the CCB's.  I just purchased 2 CCB's at the April sale, I may buy one more CCB for this year's show.  All of the LOR data that my PC sends goes through 1 ELL to the other 3 ELL's.  Will they be able to handle all the added traffic for the CCB's?  If they will, does anyone know the maximum number of CCB's I could run with my ELL-based network?

I'm not an ELL expert, but from my understanding, the 200 CCBs plus your other controllers is about the limit.  The ELLs can't go to 500K speed.  Especially if you are planning on adding additional pixels, I would strongly recommend figuring a way to get cable outside - it's not that hard....

Since different sequences have different bandwidth requirements, we can only talk in generalities when it comes to thruput.

However, at 115K (the fastest the newest ELLs can transmit.  Old ELLs can only transmit at 57, so divide these numbers at least in half) we recommend NO MORE than 800 total channels.  

ELLs also require accessory power which Cosmic Color devices do not supply.

2 CCBs are going to be a total of 600 channels, so you are quickly bumping up against the average numbers.  If you have old ELLs in the mix, you are well over the suggested amounts.

Thanks for the replies. 

You mention that the old ELLs can only transmit at 57k while the newer ones can transmit at 115k. My ELLs were purchased several years ago (shortly after they became available).  I thought there was a firmware update (2.10) that could take any ELL up to 115k.  Is that not the case?

Edited by Vince LeGrand

Same question for me. I have several ELL's from two years ago and a couple more from last year. I just ordered two more which are on their way. I've left them alone at their default settings, so far.