Light-O-Rama Forums

The Great Christmas Light Fight is on now Discussion?

Max-Paul

On that note. I'd also like to mention that the impression Intel is giving in holiday advertising is annoying to. As tho some tablet app will just one click animate your lights for you. Good job misleading people Intel!

Drew

Pikadroo.... Just like the rest of Intel's stuff... they tell you "Come on it's easy" they say, "We made the format EASY", they said.  Then, then you buy it and find out, what was "Easy" now takes hours.  So you throw it in the yard and set it on fire!!!!  

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• marsh28

• 1983ss454

• dgrant

The Setti Family deserved it because of their age and retirement status. And it was a nice display.

Edited by Santas Helper

The Setti Family deserved it because of their age and retirement status. And it was a nice display.

Agreed,

I live about 2 hours away and am going to see if I can find some time to drive down and see it

The home with the gazzilion intelligent pixels in El Paso, was sure nice but the cost of all those must have been staggering. As others have indicated, he didn't do it alone either. Obviously he's well off with a huge home and his own business to support it and all the power too him for earning his way!!! How many of us can afford quantities of pixel nodes like he has? The computer needed would be something else with a lot of individual TCPIP ports along with multiple controllers out there. So unless he's a computer expert, he paid someone to figure it out for him. I'd love to see how he did it but even so, I could never afford that many lights. I looked yesterday at Ray Wu's site and the strings I'm using are now $17 each....ouch when it comes to huge quantities.

Thought I'd share some insight, I live in El Paso and no Loya doesn't do any of the work, the shots of him with the lights were just for the show. He hires quite a few people to put up everything. (I'd say over 50 pairs of hands) As far as I know there 2 guys that do the programming, and one video editor. 

I assumed that. I think it loses something for the owner when one of us, doesn't actually do it. I enjoy seeing my display running and if I did it right, I get the enjoyment of seeing the children smile and I know that I created that smile myself. In my case, I bought a pixel sequence to add to my display but only because holidaysequences is much better than I'll ever be but I had to get it in there and make it work the way I wanted it too. Bottom line, he should have done more of it himself. I readily saw that there's no way one person could do all that so just being fair.

There where a couple of good competitors on the last Show.  The Setti's had a nice display and it was obvious their heart went into creating the display, emotionally being their last year you wanted them to win but  there were two others against them that I thought had a little better display IMO who also deserved to win just on the display alone.

I know not everyone can be pleased with the Christmas Light Fight, but....

It can be a source for new ideas. :)

I enjoy seeing the different displays and the ideas that go into to them.
Sure some of them are beyond crazy or didn't even have a chance.
But for me, it is Christmas Light Displays. And seeing them built in different ways.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow! I'm glad I didn't have to spend a million to win the Great Christmas Light Fight. In fact, short of a few additional controllers, my set up was the same as usual.  It was a great experience being on the show. Something that we will never be able to top.  To make it that much better, Only my family was involved putting it together.  It was truly a great family Christmas.

• 2 weeks later...

It was pretty explicit in our contracts that no-one could be paid to help. They stressed that it needed to be just family, and maybe some close friends or neighbors, but they would need to go through the FBI background checks, credit reports, social media memberships, every relationship since age 18, and every residence since age 18. Didn't really want to subject anyone to that! Of course, most of our friends scatter when October rolls around anyway!

Wow, sounds like the show is ran by the FBI or CIA. LOL

But I can also see some reason to it for legality reasons.

Thanks for sharing some input on that.

• The topic was locked