Light-O-Rama Forums

The Great Christmas Light Fight is on now Discussion?

Max-Paul

I've been less than impressed with all of the displays I've seen on this show.  The sequencing is all sub-par.  Seems to be more about how much money you can spend and how many people you can find to help with setup.  Loya's display is BORING.  He's got a lot of lights.  But that's about all he has.  There are a lot of talented people out there who could blow Loya and other people's shows away with an unlimited budget.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Santas Helper

• marsh28

• 1983ss454

• dgrant

I've been less than impressed with all of the displays I've seen on this show.  The sequencing is all sub-par.  Seems to be more about how much money you can spend and how many people you can find to help with setup.  Loya's display is BORING.  He's got a lot of lights.  But that's about all he has.  There are a lot of talented people out there who could blow Loya and other people's shows away with an unlimited budget.

I am not sure how you can tell the sequencing is sub par since ABC changes the music.

I've seen the YouTube videos of loya's show. He's just a rich guy that hires a bunch of tech dudes to set up the most outrageous show they can think of. The sequencing isn't really even sequencing. It just a bunch of computer generated effects from Madrix. I don't get the appeal. It certainly does shout 'Murica though.

"We need to expand next year" are great words coming out of the wife's mouth. Sounds like mine. I bit off more than I could chew this year. But when wife told me I needed to added pixel tree, I gave in.. She really had to twist my arm. Its great having a spouse that supports my addiction. At least one of them. LOL. I should change my name to 1965FordMustang351W, like 1983ss454. That costs more than lights

Nice Mustang.  I had a 1967 280 (With 351W heads) coupe, done like shelby's "Little Red" for a very long time.  I had let it go in 2012 :(  I just wasn't giving it the love it deserved. 

I've seen the YouTube videos of loya's show. He's just a rich guy that hires a bunch of tech dudes to set up the most outrageous show they can think of. The sequencing isn't really even sequencing. It just a bunch of computer generated effects from Madrix. I don't get the appeal. It certainly does shout 'Murica though.

Man, slammin a pretty good display in my opinion isn't my thing.

The guy has money to spend, so he spends it on lights, computer stuff and labor.

I would probably do the same thing. There is no way one person could set that up in a season without starting in July.

I thought his display rocked. So his sequencing may not be the best. It's not the Sequence Fight show.

And you call it just a bunch of computer generated effects. What in the heck do you call LOR? Chisel and stone?

I hope you don't judge my display. Just sayin...

Ehh... I came across too harsh earlier.  It just bothers me to see a guy who hires others to do the work for him get all the accolades.  It just rubs me the wrong way.  This is probably due to the fact that I've always had to do everything myself, from soldering up my controllers and strips to building my elements on my own.  I've also got 3 kids at home under six so my only time for sequencing is from 12:00 - 2:00 am.  I'm just tired right now...  Disregard my earlier post, it was pretty mean-spirited...

Edited by marsh28

Hey, it is a stressfull time of the year. And especially with 3 kids under six I'm sure your tired.

I too build and setup my display myself.

Sometimes life doesn't seem fair. I can relate.

We do what we can with what we have.

I WILL say its pretty ridiculous they allow the Loya house to even compete.  I mean, lets be honest, that a pro show.  There is nothing DIY AT ALL about it.

I WILL say its pretty ridiculous they allow the Loya house to even compete.  I mean, lets be honest, that a pro show.  There is nothing DIY AT ALL about it.

But again it isn't the DIY light fight. I don't think he should compete with the smaller guys but it is their show and people turned in just to see his house. All about ratings. 

Just glad to see a bunch of shows on TV and I don't have to travel to and see them. I would like to see more meaning to the music and the sequencing of lights. Everyone of us sequence what we fell is best. I can't wait till next week to see my friend that got me started in this hobby 8 years ago heck it may even be 9 years ago. I know his new pixel tree will be a WOW factor!!!! We don't hear much out of Randall Roberts but I am ready to see his on TV.

I can only say thanks to him for getting me in this hobby. Now stepping into the RGB world Andy and Doug have spent many hours teaching me this and to them I say thanks for all your time.

Rookie Jeff !!!

Ah yes, Randall and his nice display.

Looking forward to it.

His sequencing better be top notch though. A tough crowd this year. :ph34r: 

Ehh... I came across too harsh earlier.  It just bothers me to see a guy who hires others to do the work for him get all the accolades.  It just rubs me the wrong way.  This is probably due to the fact that I've always had to do everything myself, from soldering up my controllers and strips to building my elements on my own.  I've also got 3 kids at home under six so my only time for sequencing is from 12:00 - 2:00 am.  I'm just tired right now...  Disregard my earlier post, it was pretty mean-spirited...

I can completely understand this, I've got one son that turned 2 in November, he feels like 2 or 3 at this point lol. I currently work 3rd shift, so he goes to bed and I go to work, I get home in the morning and he gets up, nap time is bed time for me. So sequencing time or prop building time during the week is 0 lol. Friday nights after the wife and kid go to bed is my cellar time. And I usually just feel like going to bed lol.

I would really like to see it judged by call in votes.   Seems to me that the best displays are not always popular with the two judges that look for  CLEAN lines or Buried cables or Disney characters. Either way I just enjoy watching the lights but would really like to see more display setup and more of the lights rather than the faces watching the lights.

I'd love to know more about those servos. I'm very basic on LOR software, but can that be controlled through LOR or would that be a different system? I was wondering if that was connected through an iDMX1000.

Anyone know what servo spotlights Tom BetGeorge is using?

I think he may have mentioned them on the FB LOR page.  He said they were expensive...I bet!!!  Pretty cool addition, though.

Edited by marsh28

I didn't see all of the Tom BetGeorge episode, but if these videos are any indication of the quality, this is one heck of a display, and at least for me personally, something to benchmark my sequencing skills against.