Light-O-Rama Forums

Control a DMX fog machine WITHOUT a Dongle/iDMX1000/etc.?

ShowProKevin

Other than RGB lighting  

3 members have voted

1. 1. RGB stuff is popular, but what other DMX controlled stuff is in your show? Select all that apply.

• Foggers/Hazers
    • Lazers
    • Gobo Rotators/Projectors/Iris/Color Changers/Shutters
    • Movers
    • Strobes
    • Pyrotechnics (safe for DMX? lol)
    • Snow Machines
    • Paper/Confetti Launchers
    • Animated objects, i.e. North Star, Fireworks, Chasing lights
    • Moonflower/Other Pattern Projectors
    • PARs/ERSs/Other Spotlights
    • RGB ANYTHING!
    • Something TOTALLY different. Post what it is as a reply :-)
    • I don't use DMX, I just teach about it ;-)

First, thanks for reading and helping :-)

This is my current setup:

PC Running S2 -> USB485B -> ELL(transmit) -> ELL(receive) -> Several CTB16PC & CTB08D units

This is what I want to do:

I want to dabble in DMX lights, foggers, and other things, who knows. I've read what everyone has said: start simple, work your way up, etc., despite already having intermediate knowledge of DMX prior to LOR. Nevertheless, I want to control one fog machine (just for example) so that it shoots fog at a specific point in my musical sequence. Lets say its a 1 channel DMX fogger and channel 1's value represents the % of fog output. (100-255 is 100%).

These are my questions:

What is the simplest way to do this with the hardware (Ill figure out the software part later)

And what is the best way to do this so that I could add RGB fixures, or even a snow machine down the road. ;-)

Lastly, I've been hearing the terms "dumb" and "smart" (I assume this is what determines if I need a DMX controller or if I can use my USB485 (but how?) )...what constitutes a smart and a dumb DMX-controlled device.

Thanks!

if it is DMX you will need some sort of DMX Dongle or DMX Bridge

as far as the fogger is concerned I use cheap standard fog machines and add a relay to them and control them with standard LOR channels. On/Off only of course but that's good enough for my Halloween display

Yes but it needs to be on its own network  so you would need two at that point you better off buying a dmx dongle

Just buy a relay at radio shack. You need a 120v relay this way you can just wire an extension cord plug to the relay and use your regular LOR Controller. The other side of the relay can be 12v, 24v, or other voltage.  Such as below

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049722

Solder the pos and neg to the contacts. If you wire directly to the terminals you can keep the remote intact. Meaning you can still run it via the remote. This is parallel wiring.

The fog machine plug is constantly plugged in so fog is ready to shoot when the relay trips with the sensor.

I use Lor, True XLR Pin DMX and E131. The DMX is used for Items that are year round, I use the floods and driveway lights as DMX. (Videos are posted on forum)  I've found all of the 3 pin DMX stuff at Ray's Store. My Crystal Star Projectors are actually DMX512 Stage Lights that I've built waterproof enclosures for and mount on the deck facing the house. (See 2013 Videos) I am looking at the thought of Lasers, and I currently have a Fog machine with CHilling unit which I use in the home theater- 36 Stage Instruments- Fresnel, Ellipsoidal.

DMX is easy to add into the  shows... and some of the stagelighting is awesome. However, in Colorado, We have a thing called snow... and most stage equipment needs to be waterproofed. Anything that comes waterproof seems to have a much higher price tag. :)

Just my 2 Cents... Do I have much sense Left? LOL

Just buy a relay at radio shack. You need a 120v relay this way you can just wire an extension cord plug to the relay and use your regular LOR Controller. The other side of the relay can be 12v, 24v, or other voltage.  Such as belowhttp://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2049722

Solder the pos and neg to the contacts. If you wire directly to the terminals you can keep the remote intact. Meaning you can still run it via the remote. This is parallel wiring.

The fog machine plug is constantly plugged in so fog is ready to shoot when the relay trips with the sensor.

So the control/input voltage would be 120v and the output would be____? Whatever the fog machines's switch voltage is? Which is 120? I'm confused on how the relay is wired

• The topic was locked