Light-O-Rama Forums

Many Questions on RGB & CMD24D

Christmas

So I'm looking to add to my light show. but on a low budget of $500 bucks in total for addition lights and controllers.

Currently only have one 16 channel LOR Controller. Video here of past show

So I'd like to go with RGB controller(s) CMB24D Board is the one from LOR so I'm thinking maybe that one. But I'm open to suggestions, Looking for 24 channels to power 8 strips something that can tie in with my current 16 channel LOR controller. 

But after that I don't know where to go. So I guess main question would be

What strips are compatible with the CMB24D  Could I use these strips Ebay Link with the CMD24D.

What sort of power supply would I need for 8 of these strips with the CMD24D

Thank you.

Any 12v strip should work. Why not just get the package from LOR? They are water proof and designed to be used with the board. You'll need a 12v power supply. A 300 or 350 watt will be more than plenty. A 200 watt will more than likely suffice.

Edited by Ron Boyd

Any 12v strip should work. Why not just get the package from LOR? They are water proof and designed to be used with the board. You'll need a 12v power supply. A 300 or 350 watt will be more than plenty. A 200 watt will more than likely suffice.

Well the LOR stips are $50 where as the ebay ones are $15. 

I just don't know how I connect them, is there soldering involved?

How can I make extensions for these? The controller would be around 30-50 ft away from the lights.

I tried Googling the controller but no one seems to have put videos about how to connect it together.

Edited by Christmas

Probably all the info you need on RGB

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/32270-cmb-24-videos/?p=297149

A demo Video on the CMB24D

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/32270-cmb-24-videos/?p=296762

How to add the channels to the Sequence Editor

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/32270-cmb-24-videos/?p=296885

How to solder wires to Strips and Strings

http://blog.holidaycoro.com/2014/05/soldering-extension-wire-onto-strip.html

http://blog.holidaycoro.com/2014/08/how-to-solder-waterproof-wiring-to.html

Effects of power drop

http://blog.holidaycoro.com/2013/05/a-demonstration-of-effects-of-power.html

Locating and repairing bad pixels (for smart strings. some good info for future reference)

http://blog.holidaycoro.com/2013/09/locating-and-repairing-bad-pixels.html

On each cut pad, it will be marked, most likely, as

R

G

B

12v

or some combination thereof.

30-50 feet away may be a bit too much. Your wires will need to be large gauge. Personally, I would run my Cat5e or Cat6 cable out to the controller and put the controller closer to the element. I found it's easier to run 1 Cat5e as opposed to 8, 4 core cables through the yard. I have not tested any Basic RGB at that distance, but I would venture a guess, you might have undesirable effects.

Edit:

One other thing, those strips you linked to looks similar to the first ones I used which failed miserably. It says waterproof, but most likely it's only on top. I have read where you can lay them in a bead of silicone, but that seems very messy and a lot of unnecessary work. If you can find them in the sleeve, like LOR's, your waterproof rating will most likely go up. I won't use anything unless it states IP67 or IP68, and even then that rating may be higher than they really are. I had water ingress last year on an IP68 strip, so it is possible.

Edited by Ron Boyd
  • Like 2

We all have our own experience and I will share mine.  Last year I put about 30 of the cheap ebay dumb strips in action and had only 2 pixel sections with issues- one color not working.(If you look at my video-the Marty fan on the roof, the mini trees, candy canes, front door and garage door.) I am willing to bet no one but myself noticed the pixels that were defective. I had a target price of $10 per strip for IP65 strips and just kept bidding on a lot of units through out the year. I didn't need the remote and controllers. In the end, I think I had 3 different brands of strips.  I didn't notice any significant color variations in the strips.   Time will tell how they function this year.  I would also tell you to consider the 150 count strips vs 300 count.   For me and what I saw posted, the 300 count strips look more like neon tubes than strips of lights.  The 150s also take less power and that was a consideration for slightly smaller/cheaper power supplies.  As I keep an eye on replacements, I will only purchase the dumb strips in the sleeves.

Steve

Edited by steve synek

Question: If I buy These strips There listed Power output is 60w per 300leds (One Strip) how do you calculate the power supply I'll need? Is it 60 watts * 8 strips? Which equals to 480 watts, So I'll need at least a 480 watt power supply? I do plan on having all the strips on at once in White Color.

So i'd need to buy two of These Which are 240 watts each, and have two power supply.

Am I right here?

Edited by Christmas

So I'll need at least a 480 watt power supply? I do plan on having all the strips on at once in White Color.

So i'd need to buy two of These Which are 240 watts each, and have two power supply.

Am I right here?

You are correct.

Another option is to go with a 360W (30A) power supply, and keep the intensity to less than 75% when you go full white.

You never want to go cheap on a power supply. If you figure you will NEED 480 watts, go with a 600W supply. Or two 300W  Sure you could go with 480W but Do you drive your car with your foot always to the floor cause you have XXX HP under the hood. If you did, how long do you think your engine would last? Same holds true of other things, and your Power Supply is one of them.

I too have had bad luck with RGB ribbon from ebay.  Even laying them in silicon doesn't save you from cheap!  I use mine in landscape lighting and have had segments go bad in less than 2 months.  very aggravating.  150ct strips give off plenty of light and I don't run mine at full power.

A 30A power supply will power 8 Strips with 150ct no problem.  These power supplies are adjustable to tweak to your needs.  Use 18 guage 4 conductor stranded speaker or security wire.  I have a couple runs at 70+' with no problems.  You don't want to solder 16 guage or thicker to the ribbon.

I bought a few of the ebay strips last year, dumb rgb as the call them for around my windows and and garage opening. I had pixels everywhere else. My strips that were in direct sunlight for portions, have yellowed significantly, but you cannot see that when lit. I suspect it would reduce their life if they ever are bent or moved much.

I am adding to the rigid frames smart flex strips this year along side the dumb ones, as this will give me more flexibility in sequencing than I had before. For your budget you can get a dmx capable controller, some ws2811 strips and gain some flexibility as well. I bought lsp last year rather than lor s3 and superstar route again for pixels down the road.

Edited by arw01
  • Like 1

So....I'm just getting started....bite the bullet and dive right in...I've done Christmas lights for years...on the house in the yard and around the tree.

So this year I wanted to jump in and replace my old flag pole tree with one of those fancy RGB trees that seems to come to life.

Basic kit...$500 with the controller and 8 CCR ribbons.....sounds great?!? not so fast.....this does not include the software (another $50 bucks with the network cable)

oh and also dont include the power supply....another $60.....so I get it $600 bucks later...well and a couple of tech support tickets to find out that the com port cant be over COM16....oh and BTW the basic software will only play the sequences....to design the sequences you need the starsequencer software....well dang ok....another $50 for upto 2 controllers....(since I only have 1 controller right).....WRONG ANSWER purchased that...found out you have to buy the super dooper start sequencer package...the upgrade from 1-2 to 24 yup you got it....another $250 bucks....WOW....lets see $900 to put 8 CCR lights on and flag pole and have the cool dancing of lights....good god I know your in business to make money but talk about feeling raped....I just hope I can hide the sales receipts from the girlfriend....or someone is going to spend the next 6 months in the dog house....move over rover.....

Come on guys....for the new people just starting...how about making a complete box set.....allow the user to make some general designs to make the lights go on and off....at least include the power supply to power the amount included in the box set. I understand some of the long time users purchase "add ons" to add to their collection....then make a "add on box set" that may only have a controller, and CCRs....although I honestly dont understand buying the lights and controller without the power supply but thats the way it is.....Now to try to figure this thing out before the girlfriend gets home.....

• Like 1

The $500 RGB ribbon pack you talk about is different than the Cosmic Color Ribbons. The RGB ribbons are only going to display one color at a time, whereas the CCR's can display any color on any pixel. You are not going to get the same effect with RGB ribbons as you would the CCR's. You don't have CCR's, you have the RGB ribbon pack. I hate to say this, but you are going to have another disappointment when you realize your not going to get the effects you thought you were. Outside of a sale, 12 CCR's and the Advanced Software license would run about $3200.  

By the way, the CCR comes with a ribbon, it's own controller and power supply. If you were to purchase 12 CCR's you would get 12 ribbons, 12 CCR controllers and 12 power supplies.

The "Basic" software license will control up to 2 controllers. (01 and 02.) As you move up the license level tree, you can control more controllers. If you have 12 of anything, you are going to want the Advanced license.

You don't *need* the Superstar Sequence Editor to program CCR's. Sure, it makes some of the complex patterns much easier, but it's not required. The CCR's came out long before the Superstar Software did.

too late...done purchased the starsequencer software....then had to purchase the upgrade to allow to edit all of the 8 cables.....think I could get a refund for that software I dont need? yea I doubt it too....chalk it up to learning the hard way just would like to see it spelled out where a paramedic with a college degree could understand it....

So....I'm just getting started....bite the bullet and dive right in...I've done Christmas lights for years...on the house in the yard and around the tree.

So this year I wanted to jump in and replace my old flag pole tree with one of those fancy RGB trees that seems to come to life.

Basic kit...$500 with the controller and 8 CCR ribbons.....sounds great?!? not so fast.....this does not include the software (another $50 bucks with the network cable)

oh and also dont include the power supply....another $60.....so I get it $600 bucks later...well and a couple of tech support tickets to find out that the com port cant be over COM16....oh and BTW the basic software will only play the sequences....to design the sequences you need the starsequencer software....well dang ok....another $50 for upto 2 controllers....(since I only have 1 controller right).....WRONG ANSWER purchased that...found out you have to buy the super dooper start sequencer package...the upgrade from 1-2 to 24 yup you got it....another $250 bucks....WOW....lets see $900 to put 8 CCR lights on and flag pole and have the cool dancing of lights....good god I know your in business to make money but talk about feeling raped....I just hope I can hide the sales receipts from the girlfriend....or someone is going to spend the next 6 months in the dog house....move over rover.....

Come on guys....for the new people just starting...how about making a complete box set.....allow the user to make some general designs to make the lights go on and off....at least include the power supply to power the amount included in the box set. I understand some of the long time users purchase "add ons" to add to their collection....then make a "add on box set" that may only have a controller, and CCRs....although I honestly dont understand buying the lights and controller without the power supply but thats the way it is.....Now to try to figure this thing out before the girlfriend gets home.....

It's easy to change the com port designation on your computer. Watch this, it's only 90 seconds....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND7wHHNQgqs.

If you're just sequencing 8 " dumb " RGB ribbons all you have to do is insert 8 RGB channels, you can sequence them without superstar, still have chase effects, color effects, etc.

$900 sounds like a bargain for a CCR tree, mine cost $3000 just for the CCR's, add extra for your materials, your time, and a star too! Here's mine....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCNJrwqEcMY

Be patient, this hobby has a very steep learning curve but once you've had a few eureka moments it gets better.

This hobby can be expensive, this hobby is expensive, but it's fun. When you get a few smiles or compliments from happy viewers all the work and cost is forgotten.

OK for starters, I'm going to give you a little insight. With 2 posts, I don't think I would come in and start bashing LOR. It's obvious by your comments, that you have not done any legwork. You called Superstar, and I quote, "starsequencer software". The Superstar add-on is a sequence editor that is not necessary, but is invaluable to some of us who do RGB of any type.

Second, I don't like to be devil's advocate, but in this thread alone is all of the information you need to know to start with RGB and/or pixels. In post # 4, I linked to several videos and write-ups for anything you need to get started. A little homework on your part would have avoided the extra cost that you incurred.

In the LOR Store, for each item they have, the site explains what they do. On the LOR website is even more info on the various controllers.

Pixels and RGB are 2 totally different animals. Pixels are intelligent, meaning for each pixel or group of pixels, there is a chip (6803, WS2801, WS2811, WS2812b just to name a few) on the PCB that controlls the commands sent to it. The first pixel strips off the first 3 channels of information that is sent, and then sends the other commands that are left on to the second pixel, and so on to the end. A string of 50 pixels is150 total channels or 3 channels that make up a RGB channel. In essence, all 50 pixels on said string, can be a different color

An RGB node string or strip has no such chip, thus, the entire strip is 3 channels, 1 RGB channel for the entire string and in turn, 1 color for the entire strip or string.

Now, the last thing I will mention, If you are planning on doing a Pixel tree, like so many of us are doing now, I would plan on it for next year. It's the middle of September and most of us are going to be setting up our shows in the next few weeks to the next few months. We are almost done if not complete with our sequencing and most have elements complete, tested and ready to start the set-up for this years' show. You can possibly get it done, but you'll need to have tons of time to put into it. It's not a small task for a pixel tree.

I apologize if I offended you. It's just a daunting task you are wanting to start and your homework is not done. Do some reading and watch some videos and learn about what you want to accomplish, then come in to the forums and ask questions. 

• Like 3

... just would like to see it spelled out where a paramedic with a college degree could understand it ...

Apparently you must have studied abroad in a language other than English. It's a shame that an eighth grade reading level isn't dumbed down enough for college grads. Do your homework son, learn the language, ask questions FIRST, and you'll find there's a whole bunch of us WITHOUT a college degree who can help you find your way.

Toddwright, I can certainly appreciate your comments... However with that said, I have always put up a static light display for many years.  Then 4 years ago, I bought my first "animated" light show, all in one, Mr. Christmas from Lowes.  Cost $125 and have 4 channels with built in music. So i you want a "complete light set" then that is the way to go...  It was good... and cheap... until... the wifey saw these "awesome dancing arches", and said.. "I need that"... So I started doing my research in January the next year and looked at different options to do animated lights-to-music... I settled on LOR due to many hours of searching boards, (google is your friend), and reviews.  I think I read every post on this board and several others to really know what I was getting into.  So I purchesed my first 2 controllers, + software.  The controllers were DIY so I saved some money there.  Total cost on that gear was ~$650... THEN i had to get lights, AND extention cords.. Probably another several  hundred dollars.  But it was worth it... The next year, 2 more controllers, and of course, more lights, cords, upgraded software.... This year I purchesed another 4 controllers, singing trees from HolidayCoro. Still not doing RGB, due to time and cost... But may still get an RGB sign. :-)

To summarize, this is NOT a cheap hobby... And there is a learning curve... There are folks who have great display with only a few hundred dollars invested, and some with thousands of dollars. And hundreds of hours of sequencing (and re-sequencing)...  If you are jumping directly into RGB there are a plethora of DIY options, but even that is not cheap... or easy... Sure the LOR packages are expensive, but if you have not done your homework and expect plug-and-play anything in this hobby then you have to pay for the privilage... If you are just starting, then analog (standard controlers and lights) are the way to go...  

Everyone on this forum will be more than happy to help you... tyou just need to chill out bro... This time of year however, it may take some time to get responses as many of us are already gearing up to start setting up, finalizing sequences, adding last minute elements, ... But they will be helpful...I would reccommend reading every post in every forum , watching all the videos, and searching Google and YouTube....

As far as the GF ?  Just ask here what her favorite Christmas song is, do a WOW sequence, and all will be forgiven.... and if you get her involved, it will go along way... 

Cheers...