Light-O-Rama Forums

Change sequenced channel from dim to on/off

eravndal

Can't watch the videos Don. :(

MP4's don't work in my browser {Google chrome} or IE11 on my system.  I have never been able to view MP4 video files, tried downloading and converting them, that didn't work either.  My system just won't support that format.  So all those I downloaded I just deleted since I could not make them watchable. {Using WIN XP Home Edition} and I do have all the latest drivers that are{or were since XP is no longer supported now} available installed on my system.

Download VLC Player and all your problems should be gone. Once you can watch MP4's, maybe the quality of your posts will improve, as well as your ability to answer questions here on the forums.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

I know this isn't going to help you Orv, but I've still got a PC that runs XP Home Edition (that in all likelihood DOESN'T have all the updated XP drivers)  and it plays MP4 videos just fine.  I don't offhand know what version of IE it has, but it's certainly below IE11.

So it seems like you might have a screw loose somewhere in your PC's settings.

Edited by George Simmons

Check the file association for mp4 files and see which player is assigned to them. Its possible the codec isn't correct or doesn't exist. If you've done all that already, check the firewall and Av software to see if its blocking them from playing. I know that mp2 files require a dvd player software but not sure about the mp4. This new laptop I'm on this second was able to play mp4 files via Windows 8. I'll have to try the other OS's in my other machines. 

Orv - are you sure we're talking about the same videos?  The link at the top of this page takes you to LOR's video page.  There's no option for downloading them that I could see.  When you click on a link it takes you to LOR's YouTube channel.  Again, I see no download option.  How can you tell they're MP4?  I definitely must not be seeing the same screen you do.

Orv - are you sure we're talking about the same videos?  The link at the top of this page takes you to LOR's video page.  There's no option for downloading them that I could see.  When you click on a link it takes you to LOR's YouTube channel.  Again, I see no download option.  How can you tell they're MP4?  I definitely must not be seeing the same screen you do.

George clicked on the link Don supplied, took me to this page: https://app.box.com/sync-foregroundbackground

And what I got is what I commented on above.  There is also a download button at the upper top right of the above url for downloading the video as well as the one that pops up under where the video should be on the page.

I have all the latest codecs, have a wide assortment of video players, including the one recently posted, can't get anything on my system to play MP4 videos.  All other formats work fine, just can't get the MP4 to play at all.    I have never been able to play MP4's on this particular computer.  And  like said, I've tried all sorts of players that play MP4, just refuses to play them on my system.

I've checked settings, default players, etc.  Just can not get them to play at all.   Very frustrating.

BTW: It comes up with a broken icon and then asks if I want to download the video for playback on my computer, it's a blue bar with white lettering "Download 5.4MB", and has a white arrow pointing downward before the D in Download, I click it and it downloads the video.   I think you will only see this if your browser can not play the file.   Google Chrome and IE 11 both refuse to play them.   And Google is notorious about disabling add ons that have a bad rating, and that may be part of the problem, I don't know.   And I've not found a way around keeping Google Chrome from doing this.  IE 11 doesn't do this and the add-ons are still there, but it also refuses to play anything in MP4 format.

EDIT: Just clicked Don's link again, got the exact same thing I described in prior comments and in this post.

Edited by Orville

Download VLC Player and all your problems should be gone. Once you can watch MP4's, maybe the quality of your posts will improve, as well as your ability to answer questions here on the forums.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Have the latest version already installed, won't play MP4 on my system, tried setting it and others that claim to play MP4 files as the default player, none have worked.  Have latest drivers and codecs, so I don't understand it.   Checked all settings to make sure nothing was "blocking" it, nope, all clear.  So I don't know why, just know there is no way for me to view them on this particular computer and only system I have at the moment.

BTW: I have answered many questions on this forum just fine, but seems every time I do, someone has to make a smart-a**ed remark about it, even if it was found to be correct.   I'm only human, we all make mistakes, there isn't one person here that hasn't and I've seen many wrong answers here that I never posted or even submitted a comment too.

On this particular one, like I said later, it has never worked that way for me, posted my explanation why I didn't think my answer was entirely incorrect, and still can not state with 100% certainty it works the way described BECAUSE IT HAS NOT WORKED FOR ME!   If it had, do you think I would have posted that answer?   In all truthfulness, NO, I would not have, I would have posted what some of the others were saying, but I can not, because it HAS NOT WORKED for me.   So I can only go on MY EXPERIENCE with the software and what has worked, if it didn't, it didn't.  Also stated it may very well work as others say, again, just HAS NOT WORKED FOR ME!   And that's it in a nutshell.

Edited by Orville

Orv - It's extremely difficult to try to help you when you can't even answer the question that was asked or can't keep focused long enough to follow the advice you were given.  Your two long nonsense posts after my suggestion are totally irrelevant - you already said all that same stuff previously.  I can't help but wonder whether you misunderstood my instructions or just didn't care to follow them.  I don't recall mentioning anything about the link from Don.  I was asking if you tried following the link at THE TOP OF THIS PAGE.  I don't care what happens when you click on Don's link. Nobody does. Please just forget about Don's link for the time being.

Now let's start over and try this again.  I'll keep it as simple as I can.  Scroll ALL THE WAY UP  until you can scroll no farther.  Then look at the very top of your screen.  There's a link there labeled "Video Tutorials".  Scroll up and look at that right now - this will still be here for reference when you've done that.  (In case the words are garbled or something or if your screen shows a different language it's the third link from the left.)  Then take your mouse and click on THAT link - not Don's link - but the link labeled "Video Tutorials".  

I'm wondering if this is a browser hijacking issue. When I click on the video tutorials, it takes me straight to YouTube as it should. Orville is getting redirected to something else therefore my suspicion. He should not be getting whatever that app site is.

Aw c'mon Orv - admit it - you like a good argument as much as the next person.  :P

Well I'm happy that one of the smart folks got your answer for you.  And to think - I said something nice about you once... :(

What the heck man?   I mentioned you first so that makes you the smartest!     Number one on the list of smart folks.

Orv - It's extremely difficult to try to help you when you can't even answer the question that was asked or can't keep focused long enough to follow the advice you were given.  Your two long nonsense posts after my suggestion are totally irrelevant - you already said all that same stuff previously.  I can't help but wonder whether you misunderstood my instructions or just didn't care to follow them.  I don't recall mentioning anything about the link from Don.  I was asking if you tried following the link at THE TOP OF THIS PAGE.  I don't care what happens when you click on Don's link. Nobody does. Please just forget about Don's link for the time being.

Now let's start over and try this again.  I'll keep it as simple as I can.  Scroll ALL THE WAY UP  until you can scroll no farther.  Then look at the very top of your screen.  There's a link there labeled "Video Tutorials".  Scroll up and look at that right now - this will still be here for reference when you've done that.  (In case the words are garbled or something or if your screen shows a different language it's the third link from the left.)  Then take your mouse and click on THAT link - not Don's link - but the link labeled "Video Tutorials".  

Or go to   

LOR S3 Software Suite Bob's Videos

I'm wondering if this is a browser hijacking issue. When I click on the video tutorials, it takes me straight to YouTube as it should. Orville is getting redirected to something else therefore my suspicion. He should not be getting whatever that app site is.

Orville isn't clicking the same link as you or me. He can keep clicking on the link from Don until it snows in hell and it will still keep taking him to the same page he's been complaining about. I'm trying to coax Orv into following simple directions to achieve a different result.

Orville is a pretty sharp guy and he knows a lot about a great many seriously technical things. A lot more than most give him credit for, only because he choses not to lay it out there. I'm having a problem today with www.holidaysequences.com. I can't get to it with my ISP but I can get to it via Verizon. Its either my ISP (Cox) or Robert's ISP (GoDaddy) having a problem, talking to each other. Just because we may not be experiencing the same issue that Orville is having, doesn't mean he's not experiencing it due to any number of reasons. I'm sure he's clicking the proper links but his browser is getting re-directed, hacked, denied or some other strange thing going on. Without me sitting down in front of his computer all we can do is to offer suggestions for things to try. The goal here in these forums is to help each other which is what I'm trying to do. I will help anyone and everyone as I can. I still consider myself a newbie but I'm trying to help as I can. Anyway, give Orville a break...he's really sharp!

Orville, What do you see when you click on the following link?

It should be the video tutorial and hopefully. Copy and paste that entire line into your browser and lets hope it gets there. If it does but still a black screen, I'll have to think some more on this.

Holy crap!   Did  the OP go away or is he just sitting back and laughing or crying or just wishing he never asked????

dgrant, maybe Orv can PM you and you can help him out, or you two can call each other and get it fixed for him.

Since we already helped him out with the options of doing what he asked about (including manually) I'm guessing he either has no further use for us or else he's sitting somewhere laughing his a$$ off.

Since we already helped him out with the options of doing what he asked about (including manually) I'm guessing he either has no further use for us or else he's sitting somewhere laughing his a$$ off.

No George, I'm not laughing my a$$ off at anyone here, that is NOT me, nor do I believe for one second that I have no use for you folks here, again that IS NOT me {whether some want to believe that or not, that's their privilege}, there are a few exceptions to that, but not very many - and no George YOU ARE NOT one of them.  And whether you want to believe it or not George, I have learned a lot from you, and I do highly respect your viewpoints, but if something doesn't work for me, it just doesn't work.   Can't say anything more on that.

I honestly have tried what you folks said, I just can't seem to make it work the way you folks say it's supposed to, I can either do the entire line or partial by cut and paste, but can't get it to make different effects in one edit.  I have tried and done everything I know, as well as what folks have suggested here, MP4's absolutely will not play on my computer.

BTW: George after you explained it further, I did what you said, and yes I can go and watch the videos from the link at the top of the forums page.  Thank you very much.   I just usually don't notice those links above the forum, I usually have things bookmarked and get there from the saved bookmark.

Edited by Orville

Sorry George, I thought YOU WERE talking about the link Don posted, I don't usually have a problem with Vimeo or YouTube.   I will try that and no I'm, not ignoring you folks, we are not going to have internet after Sunday {today 8/24} so I'm trying to update other things before we lose it entirely at some point today.   Only reason I had it for a month was because we got a free promotion and I can't afford to keep it going at the moment with the wife not being employed and no extra $ to pay for it.     So I'll try your suggestion, because yes, I did misunderstand what you stated, I thought we were talking about Don's link.

Orville, What do you see when you click on the following link?

It should be the video tutorial and hopefully. Copy and paste that entire line into your browser and lets hope it gets there. If it does but still a black screen, I'll have to think some more on this.

Didn't see a link, but a large outlined square with a broken icon inside it to the upper left corner.  Sometimes Youtube videos show up in the LOR posts for me, sometimes they don't, but if I go directly to youtube I can usually play them.  Been only very few I haven't been able to watch on youtube.

Strange, after I quoted your post, the video showed up and worked perfectly in my response.  That's very odd.

Edited by Orville

Okay, to ALL, YES, I **WAS** DEFINITELY not understanding how this worked, after seeing the video now I DID, in fact, learn something new that I did not know.  

My apologies folks, but I really was doing it correctly  {oops said correctly}, that should be "incorrectly".  

I was always thinking along the lines that copy and paste would always overwrite things.   Dang, wish I had seen this videos back when they were first posted!    Would have saved me a crapload of editing!

Now I DO KNOW how it works and will have to try it.   I always keep that side tool bar off and don't use it.  Guess I'm going to need to turn that sidebar on and start using it, and saving me some time when making edits and changes.

Edited by Orville

Sorry Orv, but the quote you referenced in post #36 had absolutely nothing to do with you. It was in response to Pete's question regarding the OP (Original Poster) in the post immediately preceding the one you quoted.

I'm glad you finally followed the instructions that David and I have been trying to get you to follow since Friday evening. As mentioned previously - the foreground & background tools are definitely worth learning.