Light-O-Rama Forums

And so it begins... (don't tell my wife)...

TinAZ

Total noob who just bought 2 controllers and a starter package at the mad-grab sale.

So, this is how I ended up here...

A long time ago I saw a beer commercial (Lowenbrau, Heineken, Corona?) that had Christmas lights synchronized to music. I thought that was the coolest thing ever! I figured the person who did that was some kind of genius. Probably a rocket scientist or maybe a warlock.

I've always done a static light display at Christmas and although it wasn't great, my neighbors were generally impressed. Full disclosure: my neighbors are easily impressed. They had little to compare it to because there weren't a lot of displays nearby and they had to be complimentary because we supplied the drinks when they came over.

Flash forward to the Fall of 2013. My mother-in-law sends me a video of some "super computer geek" who has made his lights flash to music. I am not happy. How can I compete with rocket scientists who may or may not be warlocks? So I do what every normal person would do, Google "Christmas lights with music". Almost immediately I stumble on this site. I've been absorbing all of your knowledge for the past six months and I am amazed at the stuff you people can do. Sadly, I still don't know squat.

Last season, as we drove around looking at the light displays in our small town's Christmas light display contest, I told my wife that I was going to win next year. She patted my head in that reassuring way and said "sure you will". It was much like if she were talking to a child who said he was going to be President of the United States or maybe a warlock or Jedi.  

OK, now it's on. I just bought a couple of controllers the wife doesn't know...yet (stupid PayPal e-mails)...

I am counting on the help from this forum to help me become a warlock.

Thanks in advance,

Terry in Arizona

• Like 1

Heh, I'm in the same boat as you .. I bought 4 controllers last night at the mad-grab but i got the wife's permission. (Why is it always the guy that is interested in doing this and not the other way around?) Heh ... anyways, I saw Edwards Landings lights last halloween and was hooked immediately. I am a bit scared about the price tag involved in getting this to be somewhat up to par with their displays but i am very willing to do DIY stuff to make it more affordable.

I guess I just want to start somewhat small this year and build up over time.

Welcome to the madness.  The beer commercial you are remembering was the Miller Lite (Light) commercial.  It was what got me into the hobby many years ago after I saw it.  Just look up Carson Williams - and the song was "Wizards in Winter" by TSO.  After all these years that song still causes cars to stop at my display (I run a highly modified version of his original sequence he shared back then).

Hey- I resent that remark that it's 'just' guys! ;)

Total noob here too- I picked up 1 controller + the showtime starter pack last night. >gulp<

We are in an unofficial war with the across the street neighbors- we won 1st place in 2012 in the 'hood (not as difficult as it sounds- only about 8-10 houses are really in the running) and they won it last year.

Our dumb 'lights/sounds of Christmas' machine went >'insert impolite term here'< up at the end of the season so we made the leap into this madness.

My husband is the handy one- I'm the more computer-y one so he gets to do the outside (with my help) while I'll do the sequencing- and hopefully ringing my 12yo in to assist as I think he's got the know-how as well.

We were chuckling to ourselves that the neighbors are clueless to the secret weapon we will be deploying for xmas 2014- although I'm tempted to do a little Halloween display just to get a start on figuring this stuff out early.

For the record it was the Holdman xmas amazing grace vid that drew me in...

its not only men my post "

Wow This Is Harder Than It Looks

" i mention its my wife that showed me the video and she bought me 8 controllers, 10ft pvc mega tree kit, 200 + boxes of 100ct incan lights red, blue, green, and white also the singing face kit and wireless fm transmitter, lor advanced software

Total noob here too- I picked up 1 controller + the showtime starter pack last night. >gulp<

We are in an unofficial war with the across the street neighbors- we won 1st place in 2012 in the 'hood (not as difficult as it sounds- only about 8-10 houses are really in the running) and they won it last year.

Our dumb 'lights/sounds of Christmas' machine went >'insert impolite term here'< up at the end of the season so we made the leap into this madness.

My husband is the handy one- I'm the more computer-y one so he gets to do the outside (with my help) while I'll do the sequencing- and hopefully ringing my 12yo in to assist as I think he's got the know-how as well.

We were chuckling to ourselves that the neighbors are clueless to the secret weapon we will be deploying for xmas 2014- although I'm tempted to do a little Halloween display just to get a start on figuring this stuff out early.

My first year I did a small Halloween display (use the same sequences every year)

It allowed me to test controllers transmitter and  oh hell I just wanted to see if it worked!

My advice is to get your first sequence started so that when your controller arrives you can plug some lights into it and see what it looks like for real. The earlier you do this, the more time you'll have to work on things before the summer sale. You don't sound to me like someone who'll be satisfied with only 16 channels for very long.

Nice to have you aboard!

Hey TinAZ, newbie here also, after winning our developments Christmas Light contest the past 2 years with a static light display and mezmerized by "The Christmas Light Wars" show we decided to take it up a notch. Recently found my first controller with Director included on ebay (unused) @ a good price, and last night got my RGB floods @ the grab sale.  This is starting to turn into a great hobby, right now getting a lot of the background stuff ordered like SPT wire, vampire plugs etc.

Good luck with your display,  and hope you win for 2014!.....Marc-Anthony

P.S.  I have NO idea on how to set up the floods I just bought, wiring etc. any help???

I envy your situation!  I do it all myself.  Sequencing not my favorite part.

Welcome aboard all you new noobs!