Light-O-Rama Forums

Cutting CCB's

David Kipp

I bought 5 sets of CCB's (during the sale) to outline the house. 9 of the 10 strands can be left intact, 25 feet in length. One strand needs to be cut into 2 segments, one 17 feet and one 8 feet in length (to outline a small doormer), located about 15 feet from the other segment. Does anyone know if the cascading signal will travel that far on a 4 strand wire? Another forum said that pixel signals will only travel 2-3 feet so suggested using "off" pixels every couple feet between lighted strands, has anyone experimented with the CCB's?

• 3 weeks later...

Last night I cut my CCB string.  Left 10 bulbs closest to the power supply, and used approximately 12 feet of distance between the splice.  I used 18 gauge x 5 thermostat wire from Lowe's.  It was easier to purchase the 4 wires I needed like that.  I had read in another post 18 gauge will do it, and it does work.  The 5 wire string is not very flexible, but by the time you get 4 individual 18 gauge wires together, they will be a little hard to manage.  But I am thrilled I was able to extend the distance between sections of the string.  Still have one more to do, but only about 6 feet.

• Like 1

you are brave!  I am glad you got a good result.   I too heard that there was a distance limit of 2-3 feet

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information, interestingly, I contacted holidaycoro to see if their TinyPix controller ($29) would control the left over bulbs cut from LOR CCB strands. They had not tested it but said the LOR CCR uses the 6803 pixel protocol, and suspected the CCB's use the same protocol, and the TinyPix controller works with 6803 protocol. So as long as you have a DMX dongle (which I have to control my 6 DMX floods) and have left over channels on your DMX universe, a TinyPix controller may work to control left over CCB's. At this point, I will try the cutting and splicing as you described. If my splicing distance is too far, I may try the TinyPix. Hope LOR does not get upset about me talking about their competition on their forum. In the scheme of things, the LOR CCB's are a good value compared to the Holidaycoro pixel bulbs when you add all the costs of bulb strands, bulb covers, DMX dongles, power supplies, pixel controllers, waterproofing, and time for assembly. The main advantage to the Holidaycoro product is the flexibility on bulb strand length.

• The topic was locked