Light-O-Rama Forums

Anyone Doing "Matrixes" with the CTB16PC DIY Kits ?

a31ford

Greetings  Everyone ! (Not Seasons though ;) ).

Yes I know it's July, BUT, I'm still building my DIY kits (on the last one)

I have a question about doing a matrix (16 x 16) using 2 of the CTB16PC kits.

Now I know that "out of the box" these will NOT do it, HOWEVER, since they are unassembled in the first place, that gives me the opportunity to do some mods to these two. 

I CAN get in depth on the MOD, however, I am more interested in whether anyone else has done some ?

I am prepared to "trash two kits" (just the basic board for one, and the other is the board with cords version).

In a nutshell though, it involves cutting the power transformer traces on one board and running it on the neutral (white where the blacks would go, and NO blacks, and visa-versa for the other board.

One board would switch the hots, and the other board would switch the neutrals. (Think "X" x "Y" plot)

The reason I want to do this is to make "snowflakes" (single lights) in the christmas tree (wireframe).

If I did this with normal controlers, it would take some 8 or 9 kits to do what I want. (and only take about 2 or 3 amps total)

I would prefer to test (and do) this with just two kits.

Greg

Is there a reason you just wouldn't add some Smart RGB lights to make your grid?  That way you'd get your individual control, and if done right it can be fairly cheap. Then you'd be using more tried and true methods instead of striking out into unknown territory.  RGB lights can also be ordered in custom spacings to make it easier for grids.

HI Rainy, it's not really a grid per say, just separate single lamps (small) a 16 x 16 matrix would give me a 256 lamp number to work with, the wireframe tree (technically a VERY TALL push up). If you watch the Cosmic Color Ribbon (CCR) video here (Scroll Down to the first video..) http://www.lightorama.com/CosmicColorRibbon.html (From the LOR CCR page) 

The thing I want to do is much like the snowflakes on the tree, (about the 1 minute mark) except I do NOT have 8 grand to devote to only the tree......

My tree is about 50 feet tall, I would need at least , let see.... 30 CCR ribbons, yup, 8 grand at least ! (taxes and freight)

Doing an X Y plot (2 kits) is much cheaper, even though it will cost about 300 bucks, that is WAY better than 8 grand.

Greg

Edited by a31ford

There's a lot more ways you can do it for less than $8k.  I think Rainy was reffering to using pixels, not ribbons.

Get a longer length between nodes you can easily do the same effect (and much more)

Shubb, I just Looked at them (and the bulbs), spoke to Mary at LOR just now, these are EXACTLY what I want. Only one problem... spacing..... they are 6" I need at least 24" between bulbs... 

Mary Almost had me... I was talking to her about my DB9 to 485 adapter anyhow, I have to wait till I have more money. Might buy one, and cannibalize it to get more spacing, we'll see.........

Thanks for the tip.

Greg

Guess you don't know Arlene Kole from SV,Ca do you ? (noticed your location).

Shubb, I just Looked at them (and the bulbs), spoke to Mary at LOR just now, these are EXACTLY what I want. Only one problem... spacing..... they are 6" I need at least 24" between bulbs... 

Guess you don't know Arlene Kole from SV,Ca do you ? (noticed your location).

Wire cutters and a soldering iron will fix the spacing issue!!

I don't know Arlene, but there is over 100,000 people here.  Does she do Christmas lighting?

LOL, I kinda figured that,  (on both items)

I use to work with her and her husband in a "Rock Band" here in Canada, She's a popular "Folk Singer" now (so I'm told).

Yours goes to 11, mine only 10.99, fudge :(

Greg

• The topic was locked