Light-O-Rama Forums

Smart Pixel Programming

Bizywk

I apologize for what must be a repeat question, but I havent been able to find it in the search function or during a cursory scan of several pages.

I'm having no problem at all with  either the programming or hardware interface between LOR and dumb DMX.   My question is about smart pixel programming.  My hardware is inbound, and I want to start working on a few test sequences. 

I've started to play with the trial verion of SuperStar, which was my planned programming software choice, but I realized that while the obvious customization for CCR is inherint, I cant see where I can configure to DIY hardware. I looked through the tutorials and on-line manuals, but didnt find the information.  I contacted the LOR help desk, who seemed unsure of the answer as well and is back researching the question.

My question for you folks, is that if I cant use SS to program advanced pixelation effects on DIY hardware, what suggestions do you folks have as an alternative?    I want something that can be driven/embedded/synchronized within the S3 show.

I know that some very enterprising light enthusiasts are writing all their pixelation programming in S3. I havent figured out how they're doing that yet but I am seeking learning in this area for the simple devices such as strip chase effects.  I'm concerned that advanced displays such as arches/hoops/etc will be too much for my very limited experience, especially this year.

Any software reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. 

Background:  I plan to use the Holidaycoro Acti-dongle (ENTEC compatible) driving their new DMX-SPI converter.     

To do DIY pixels in Superstar create a visualization of your pixel props, import the via file into SUPERSTAR and sequence away. Now, once you finish the Superstar sequence, export it to the lms file. Then you'll have to copy and paste to your channel config. On the main LOR site, linked above, Brian has some great tutorials on Superstar and everything I just mentioned is in one or the other vids. Hope this didn't confuse you more. I'm doing lots of LOR and DIY pixels along with normal LEDs with Superstar.

I was apparently overthinking this again and making it way more complicated that it was.   I was picturing in my mind that SS was a second application that must run concurrently with the showtime software and issues live commands to the Enttec during the show.    Ugh.     SS is simply a complimentary software module to the S3 Sequence Editor.     No wonder some of the more energetic guys drove straight to programming in S3. 

Thanks for setting me straight.  I couldnt see the forest because all those darn trees were in the way.

Here is what I did last fall.  I ran a 12 string pixel tree using 2811 pixels.  I programmed it all in SuperStar as if it was CCRs.  After exporting from SS, I opened the sequence in Sequence Editor along with a blank sequence that the network configuration for my DMX universes.  I then copied each string from the SS file and pasted to the blank file.

I'm using S3 to drive my Robin Wheel (8 spokes) with ten 2811 chips on each spoke.

Works good, especially with sequences from George Simmons.

Using an Enttec Pro compatible unit and some DMX to 2811 units from Ray Wu.

Like you, I'm waiting for HolidayCoro's SPI (2811) unit.

• The topic was locked