Light-O-Rama Forums

10w RGB Flood Light - Reverse Engineering

Dave H1

Gmac,

As Jim pointed out, the remote is useless when wanting to control them yourself but I must say, for the cost you get a very bright RGB LED chip in a weather proof housing which is great if you don't want to mess with making your own. I'm leaning this way for ease and cost. And the dang things put out some serious light in all colors.

But Jim here has a pretty good idea of making his own housing which I want to see and hear more of.

Thanks for the replys.....Guess I'll just stay tuned in and listen to you guys ........One more question would the 20W that jim is doing that much brighter than the 10W you have?  Just from seeing double watts I would think so but maybe there are other things that come in to play also

Thanks for the replys.....Guess I'll just stay tuned in and listen to you guys ........One more question would the 20W that jim is doing that much brighter than the 10W you have?  Just from seeing double watts I would think so but maybe there are other things that come in to play also

The 20W ones I buy are series parrallel.  The 10w RGB ones have 3 leds per color.  The 20w ones have 6 leds per color.  If one goes bad, I loose three, but still have three working.  The cheaper 20W rgb ones have 6 in series and require an odd voltage and power supply.  If one burns out, SOL.

BTW, the 10W single color leds have 9 leds.

Tom,  when the new ones show up, I'll do some pics during the build.

Tom,  when the new ones show up, I'll do some pics during the build.

Very nice!!! Thanks Jim.

After a couple messages to the vendor about the product I received, I get this reply:

hello friend
thanks for your reply
i have asked our supplier
and he told me that this items they made the voltage
red : 12-13v green : 18-19v blue: 18-19v

and i will revise the description now
sorry for this inconvenience
best regards
Mahone
MSN: partspipe@hotmail.com
[working time: 9:00-17:00 GMT +8:00]
Tel No.: +86-755-25006172
Mobile Phone No.: +86-(0)13923488897
Fax No.: +86-755-25003540
welcome to visit our company website:
www.partspipe.com
we accept customer order for any product!

So I replied back with: Are you going to send me the correct ones or give me a refund?

The saga continues...

From a different vendor I'm looking to get some RGB ribbon from, I found these RGB modules in their store that may be of interest to some of you. I haven't purchased from them yet, but have gotten quick responses to my questions. I'm planning to buy some ribbon very soon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RGB-Super-Bright-12V-20PCS-LED-Modules-5050SMD-3Leds-Waterproof-Light-Lamp-/350679997696?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51a6281d00

Update:  The current vendor wants me to send these back and I'll get for credit plus return shipping. 

Exploring my options It seems that the trend is going to the higher voltage lower current models.  I could get a 24V power supply to run these, but then I need a 36V power supply to run 20-100W white leds.  Either way, it eliminates the possibility to use DMX, not a problem with a LOR DC controller.  Another option would be to use a 36V supply and 30W RGB leds and then whichever white one I want.

I did find another potential source for the easier to use 20w rgb leds.  I emailed them to find out what their stock levels are at and if they intend to stay with the current version or switch to the other style.

The thing that sucks is, if you buy the ones with the enclosure, chances are higher that you'll get the ones that require the higher voltage.  I need to get in touch with the person I sold a set to, to see if he has them wired up to his power source yet.  I'd like to see how well it can produce white, just for sh--ts and giggles.

Here's my dilema guys.  Right now I can find only one vendor that has 20W RGB leds I want, but they still haven't replied to my questions from Sunday.  I could continue to use individual colors in a single housing, this allows control from DMX or LOR using 12V.  I could switch to the new style leds and get a 24V power supply, but this eliminates using DMX, with LOR, not a problem, or run the LOR controller in DMX mode.

Let me put this in another way,  If I were to make floods to sell and you were to buy,  which version would you be interested in:

1) RGBW using 10w individual colors.  Runs on 12V DMX or LOR using 4 channels.  Also the brightest option and slightly the most expensive one.

2) Same as above minus the W.  Advantage would using a single 3 channel DMX controller.  Disadvantage, not a great white and not consistant at various intensities.

3) 20W RGB with additional white led.  Needs a 24V power supply and LOR DC controller.  Needs 4 channels.

4) Same as #3 without the white.  This option allows me to make a smaller housing.  This option would be the cheapest.

Cost difference between 1 and 4 is only a few bucks so it's not a deciding factor, it's more of how you want to control and power them.  There's also another option, 20W individual leds can also run on 12V if you need extra horsepower.

Jim,

I guess for me it would boil down to how big a difference is the 10W to the 20W. If not that big of a difference, I would like to stick to 12V. So far, I'm seeing the 10W for 12V being easier to apply with the rest of my 12V stuff and not affecting any LOR functions or other 12V products I use with the same DC controller.

So I'm not sure without "seeing" a difference.

As for the clarity of white being a forth color, I have off white brick so three LEDs (RGB) is prefered to save a channel for something else. All this IMHO.

I decided to stick with my original design of using four 10w leds of RGBW and reordered what I need.  No real advantage for me to switch to the 20W RGB led because I want the seperate white.  I have to use the same aluminum roller which kinda sucks because I only have one machine for a source.  I may have another possible source, but may require a bribe.  If I make just RGB lightheads, I can use smaller rollers which I have more sources.

I discovered you can get a 500W led that puts out a screamin brite 50,000 lumens!  No price posted with the evil creature though.  I also just ordered 20,  10w WW leds for my flowerbeds.  My poor neighbors are in for a surprise! 

Jim,

you may have stated it before, but is there a reason why you aren't using 10w RGB leds in lieu of the individuals??

Jim,

you may have stated it before, but is there a reason why you aren't using 10w RGB leds in lieu of the individuals??

A 10w single color has 9 leds in it.  A 10w RGB led has only three of each color.  A 30w RGB led would be the aquivelent of what I'm using, plus needs a 36V power supply which may not be so bad, could run 50-100W leds!

I only skimmed this thread but why bother hacking the floods with remotes when Ray has an almost identical one that is DMX-ready for about the same price ($24)?  Yes there is also shipping, but if you order more than a few things the shipping price is MUCH lower than quoted by aliexpress.

I am waiting on 4 of them for a non-Christmas-related fountain project.

I only skimmed this thread but why bother hacking the floods with remotes when Ray has an almost identical one that is DMX-ready for about the same price ($24)?  Yes there is also shipping, but if you order more than a few things the shipping price is MUCH lower than quoted by aliexpress.

I am waiting on 4 of them for a non-Christmas-related fountain project.

If you ordered the 10W version, I'm betting you're going to be disappointed if you're trying to flood a house.

This is what I would highly recommend if you want to order from Ray.  This would have the same output as I do with probably no color seperation where an object casts a shadow.  Don't just buy one,  the shipping sucks.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/30W-RGB-DMX-flood-light-DC24V-input-can-be-controlled-by-dmx-controller-directly/701799_577673325.html

Thanks Tim for your post.  I wasn't aware there were DMX versions of these floods.  I don't buy from Ray.  I like Ebay a lot better, but they don't have DMX versions on Ebay.  I also wouldn't be able to build to sell for that price.  I might try to see if I can get the controller used in the flood, it definately won't be the ones that Holidaycoro sells.

Edited by scubado

I won't be using them to flood the house, I'm using them for a fountain project for the summer season.

On the other hand, I've played with them and they are comparable, if not brighter than other floods people use, such as Rainbow Floods and the vFlood.

Tim,

My reason is because I'm not using DMX. $20 per LED flood with free shipping can't be beat.

And I've compared these RGB LED floods to the Rainbow Floods and the Rainbow floods can't match the 10W floods.

AND, the price on the 10W LED floods beat the Rainbow Floods as well.

I'm just speaking for myself on my reason here and my comparison.

Just curious, how much lower is the shipping with Ray with multiple items? Because $25 or more on shipping per item keeps me from ordering from him. If he had an online calculator that would show what shipping of multiple items would be without haggling for it, then at least I could see what the shipping is prior to ordering. But free shipping is hard to beat when your on a budget.

om, The 10W ones you won't have a problem using LOR and a 12V power source, just be sure to use the proper resistor for each color. The 20w and 30w require different power supplies. If the 10w RGB flood is brighter than Rainbows, that's not saying much for them. The 10W RGB will give you good subtle color, the 30w RGB will definately light things up! You can always turn down a 30W, but you can't crank up a 10W rgb.