Light-O-Rama Forums

Animation skips/misses lights

Nonick22

After upgrading to the newest version 3.8.0 when playing sequences in the sequence editor I am seeing that the Animation wizard and the visualizer will randomly miss or skip showing lights. If i replay the sequence then they will show different results. I have tried turning off the Visualizer streaming (that is running on a seperate computer). This did not solve the issue. I do see that if i am running both the Animation display and the Visualizer at the same time they miss the same lights at the same time. I am worried that when i connect my show for real that my controllers may miss the lights too. Has anyone else seen this issue of missing lights in the animaions on random basis.

Tom

What are your timings in the area(s) where you see the problem?

I have seen things like that if I had the timings very quick (less than 0.05 sec) in busy sections.

Are you using DMX or LOR protocol?

+1 on the timing question. That would be the first thing that I would check. While fast timings are great for detail work, it's important to keep in mind that the human eye can really only detect about 30-40 movements per second, which would be under 25ms. Plus, a lot of the equipment that we use is not designed to transmit data at extremely fast rates, so 5-10ms timings could be causing problems which would probably translate to problems with you actual hardware in your show.

Thanks Jon,

I was just going to update my post with what i found. In experimenting I did create my sequence using .05 sec as my timming. If I put just a single ticks then I do miss lights. if i move them to double ticks or longer then they play fine. And I also connected one of my controlers and it also effects the real lights. So either there is a bug in the software using .05 (witch should not be allowed to use if its not supported) or I need to keep lights on longer when programming. I am usimng the LOR protocol BTW. Now that I know what is causing this I can program without loosing time later. Thanks for you reply Jon.

Tom

I don't think it's the software. It will transmit data at 5ms timing just fine, but whatever is accepting it at the other end may not be designed to handle it.

I had problems with 0.05 timings two years ago. Back then, I was running D-Light boards with the LOR protocol. The D-Light boards had trouble sometimes with timing that quick. I didn't thing the LOR boards did (but I only have one LOR DC board).

Since then, I converted everything to DMX. Since DMX packets are sent at the same rate and same size no matter how busy the sequence is, I never had a problem again. (When my LOR protocol based show got over 400 channels, it would skip things at time.) DMX is not as "smart" a protocol but it does not know how to skip. Really bad cabling is about the only way.

So, I use 0.05 all the time now. But I don't use 0.04 or 0.03 or 0.025, etc... like I know others will try. I just use 0.05 fixed frequency and get "close enough."

Ironic that you mention this. I just posted this very same thing over on the Visualizer forum. I am using .05 as well. Having to spend WAAAAY too much time to stare at the little squares to see if they line up verses watching the visualizer or just watching the channel labels. Here is my post and I will make a link over to this one. Hopefully Nonick22 we will get an answer. I have used smaller light snippets and they have worked just fine;

Ok,

Is it visualizer....or is it S3???

Running a Lenovo V570 with i5 processor. 6gig ram. Win7. Hard drive no where near full (if that matters)

I am sequencing "Jing,Jing,Jing" from the Air Force Band (http://www.usafband.....asp?albumID=60) .

Pretty fast piece. Right now I am trying to do some of the drum solo stuff. Started noticing that it would miss some of the licks on the visualizer. Stopped it and just looked at the "flashing" channel labels. Noticed it was lagging behind too.

I rebooted the laptop. Had everything closed except the Sequence Editor. Looked at the labels again. Still lagging behind. Put it on half speed...little better but lagging behind.

Again, this may have been better over at the S3 forum, but thought it did have ties to the Visualizer.

BTW, getting some of the 8th note stuff, but missing some of the 16th note stuff thrown in.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed this year while testing animation sequences did two things I did not expect.

1). The animation window would work like one time through and stop (while looping).

2). While testing items in a row on/off next on/off ............ that it would do a couple loops and then go nuts, then continue on, then go nuts......

I switched my testing sequences to musical and they worked just fine. I setup some basic sequences and the animation window didn't work but the lights worked. I'm not sure if this was like that last year or not but it took about 10 hours to debug.