Light-O-Rama Forums

The REAL How to..

churchfamilyfarms

Hey, I listened to all of you. I started planning and sequencing this last January. I think I'm ready to go other than actually putting it all up which starts the day after Halloween.

• Like 2

Is the OP still around listening to our advise, or are we just adding to our post count?

Don't know if he's reading this thread or not. He did, however, get help via PM.

I dont sit at the computer 24hrs a day...lol. I wasnt even sure it was apporved/posted until I recieved a PM from a member yesterday afternoon. We have our own business, so the weekends is our busy time. I did get help via PM...thank you very much for the help.

Im looking for 2013. I know about the post Christmas sales, which is why Im asking questions now. I know it isnt a plug and play system. This process can be as simple or as complicated as the creator wants to make it.

George Simmons..although you may have helped develop LOR and were a master electrician when you started out most people, I dare guess, where not. What are the perfect newbie questions to ask? Im going to assume that your comments were more of a challenge than anything else. When I first started breeding German Shepherds, I had other breeders have simialr attitudes. Told me I didnt know enought or that I wasnt qualified enough to learn the rights and wrongs. Basically telling me I was immoral for even attempting it. Everyone needs to start somewhere. Noone is an expert their first attempt at anything.

My plan is to get a starting base knowlege so that I have an understanding of what equipment and accessories I will nedd to buy to have a decent first year display. Then take that info and equipment and work throughout the year learning, reading and doing trial shows. from there I will be better aquainted with the system so that I may be able to ask more specific questions and not annoy members with basic questions and annoyances. Sorry

But I do need to have a starting point. My first project is going to be a 30ft Mega Tree. 16 channel. Maybe a spiral tree...since I like Earle Talley's trees so much. ]My current 7000 or so light display has grown rather plain & boring. If anyone has any suggestions or advice on that project I will be more than happy to listen.

Create a plan and start assigning channels to it, then sequence as needed or modify a sequence that you buy or obtain a free one. Personally I don't find sequencing all that hard to do and its really just a matter of what you wish to see happen to that tree. There is a simple "Chase" tool which will save you a lot of time when it comes to megatrees, arches and etc..Look closely at the video help files as they will assist you extensively. One of the basic hints is to find the beat and tapper wizards and assign a blank channel to it. Again, video help files will show this to you. One other thing, you can pay someone professional to do a particular song for you although I don't know if they have time left this year or not. http://ourlightdisplay.webs.com/ is whom they are. I purchased one of theirs for my show, of course I had to modify it for my use but they did a good job and I learned someone else's methods of sequencing therefore the knowledge alone was worth the small cost.

Thanks. Im trying to find a good design, so to speak, for a mega tree. Deciding the design and color number, light number..etc, is going to be the harder part for me. Once I get it on paper it will be easier to program it and get it set to music and sequence. Thanks for the ideas

churchfamilyfarms, glad you responded back on this thread with more info about yourself and intentions. Last year, you probably would have been raked over the coals. Last year the forum grew several hundred members because one of the members videos went viral and the forum got blasted with people wanting to do a show with a gimme atitude thinking it was plug and play. So forgive us for testing you when we saw your vague posting and lack of electrical skills, to us, it's a huge red flag.

My suggestion for you since you did admit your electrical skills and I suggest this to those starting small, work with a single color. This gives you the maximum elements and easier on the budget. Pick a style of bulb you like and stick with it and buy lots of it when a deal comes along. If you buy anything and everything it may give you grief down the road with colors and styles not matching. Start window shopping now to see what you like, then watch for sales. Last year, after Christmas stock was slim picking. You may also be competing with fellow LOR members on inventory. Since you are starting now, you have an advantage on planning what you will need when the sales start.

I am completely new to this and I am basically a moron when it comes to electrical issues. So if anyone has a link or info on how and where to start. What does each channel cover and control. How much ampage get pulled from my home per channel? How much will a basic 4 channel system cost? (not just the package) But set up and ready to go.(not including lights/props).What can you really do with 4 channels? Basically I need an engineer to donate their time and edeucation..haha. Any help would be appreciated.

Getting back to your original post, I'd like to try to answer the amperage question. The amount of amperage each channel will use depends on what is connected to the channel. There is a limit of 8 amps per channel and the controller is divided into two banks of 8 channels. Channels 1-8 has a max of 15 amps, and 9-16 also has a max of 15 amps. You can't have 8 amps worth of lighting hooked up to 8 channels and turn them all on, it will exceed the 15 amp limit. I try to stay well below the 15 amp limit, so I don't have to worry about turnings too much on in the sequencing.

The easiest way to tell how many amps you are using is to get a Kill-O-Watt meter. All you do is plug your lights into it and read the amps from the display. They are only about $20 and I've seen them at Home Depot. I got mine from Amazon.com.

The other way is by using ohms law. Watts = Volts x Amps. Usually the light strings are rated in watts. I usually figure 120v So with a little algebra amps can be calculated based on watts and volts. (Watts/Volts=Amps) I believe the Kill-O-Watt is more accurate and easier.

Jerry

Usually people entering this hobby tries to answer these ten questions. Give it a shot.

1) What's electricity?

2) What's the difference between AC & DC?

3) What's a Triac?

4) Does your PC have directories or folders?

5) Why do some extension cords have their blade on the male end turned sideways?

6) What's the number one reason for electrical deaths?

7) What is RS485?

8) What would you do if you were electrocuted?

9) Can you download and install software without help?

10) What's that white stuff in chicken poop?

Still waiting for the answer to #10. LOL :D

ChurchFamily,

You might want to contact Will at http://www.displaysinmotion.net/ They are right there next to you and they helped me out alot last year. It was my first year and they took time to talk me through a couple things.

You might want to visit that URL. Something seems to have changed.

Welcome to the madness, from another newbie! This is my first year at it, and I got a super late start myself. I started in July/August, thinking I'd have enough time. Do'h! But as others have said, read, read, read. I've been reading as much as I can, and at least am getting the basics. Given my late start, and limited free time, I'm starting out very basic. 16 channels, which will control about 4000-5000 total lights. The rest of my display will be static...but it's better than last year which was pretty much all static last year... last year I bought a $30 4 channel controller last minute. At least I was able to break up my static display into 4 sequentially flashing groups, which was cool. This year will have no mega-tree, it going to be fairly basic. Going to Lowe's this weekend to pick up some supplies to build a few of my props. By comparison to folks here, my display will be caveman crude, but that's OK. It's my first year, and I'm excited to have something beyond what I've always had in the past.

Oh, and by the way, my electrical skills probably aren't much better than yours. First thing I bought was a Kill-O-Watt, to be sure I don't overload anything. Again, reading here and asking focused questions will help (well, as much as a total newbie like myself can ask a coherent focused question... :huh::lol: ).

The sequencing part is going to be one of the, if not the steepest learning curve. I've been playing with it, watching the LOR videos on YouTube and reading posts. This year I'm using the generosity of others for my show. Put it this way...I'm working on my first song, "Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepson. I'm not keeping track of time invested, but I'd guess it's somewhere around 5 or 6 hours so far. How much do I have done? Uh, well...about 60 seconds worth, maybe a little less. That's just for 16 channels. Hoping to have it done before "lights on" Black Friday evening.

Last thing...it's definitely not cheap. I'd guess I've invested about $450 this year. I've still got some lights to buy, along with wire. By time I'm done, I'll probably have spent $700. And that's just for a very, very basic starter. Thankfully I already have something around 5000 lights and 1000' of extention cords from my previous static displays.

Best of luck!!!

Edited by Klayfish
  • Like 1

ChurchFamily,

You might want to contact Will at http://www.displaysinmotion.net/ They are right there next to you and they helped me out alot last year. It was my first year and they took time to talk me through a couple things.

You might want to visit that URL. Something seems to have changed.

https://www.facebook.com/displaysinmotion

I dont sit at the computer 24hrs a day...lol. I wasnt even sure it was apporved/posted until I recieved a PM from a member yesterday afternoon. We have our own business, so the weekends is our busy time. I did get help via PM...thank you very much for the help.

Im looking for 2013. I know about the post Christmas sales, which is why Im asking questions now. I know it isnt a plug and play system. This process can be as simple or as complicated as the creator wants to make it.

George Simmons..although you may have helped develop LOR and were a master electrician when you started out most people, I dare guess, where not. What are the perfect newbie questions to ask? Im going to assume that your comments were more of a challenge than anything else. When I first started breeding German Shepherds, I had other breeders have simialr attitudes. Told me I didnt know enought or that I wasnt qualified enough to learn the rights and wrongs. Basically telling me I was immoral for even attempting it. Everyone needs to start somewhere. Noone is an expert their first attempt at anything.

My plan is to get a starting base knowlege so that I have an understanding of what equipment and accessories I will nedd to buy to have a decent first year display. Then take that info and equipment and work throughout the year learning, reading and doing trial shows. from there I will be better aquainted with the system so that I may be able to ask more specific questions and not annoy members with basic questions and annoyances. Sorry

But I do need to have a starting point. My first project is going to be a 30ft Mega Tree. 16 channel. Maybe a spiral tree...since I like Earle Talley's trees so much. ]My current 7000 or so light display has grown rather plain & boring. If anyone has any suggestions or advice on that project I will be more than happy to listen.

ya know... more power to ya. This is my first year. I started with the Mr. Christmas for two years while I read about LOR and I still hit these folks with questions. I have been sequencing since June and still have not finished my last song (I have a full time job and family) I sit some days and sequence until I am stiff and can't move. I have a husband that is very knowledgable about construction and all and my son works for an electrician. Once I got the basic info I need to pass on to them...I'm good. I did a 10 foot mega tree and it nearly killed me. I tried the spirals and the sequencing and trying to get the lights right drove me nuts (got a little OCD issues) I did find out very quickly that the 16 channels I started out with were not enough and I bought 2 more controllers. STILL not enough. It took me 16 hours to do my first sequence then I go back and tweak it as I learn. I am musically inclined... musically trained... you learn by watching the videos...which I did, twice... folks here are kind..but right now they are busy...(I will be as of this weekend) don't insult their intelligence or take their advice lightly. however, they are wrong...this isn't a hobby, it's an obsession. And Don... you're sick man....just sick...LOL man you make me laugh!

Is he even a LOR partner anymore??

His website is gone. He's no longer listed on the "official LOR Partners" list. He hasn't participated in numerous threads about his status (which he used to). Rumor has it numerous people were shafted on controllers, etc.

I think he has disappeared.

ya know... more power to ya. This is my first year. I started with the Mr. Christmas for two years while I read about LOR and I still hit these folks with questions. I have been sequencing since June and still have not finished my last song (I have a full time job and family) I sit some days and sequence until I am stiff and can't move. I have a husband that is very knowledgable about construction and all and my son works for an electrician. Once I got the basic info I need to pass on to them...I'm good. I did a 10 foot mega tree and it nearly killed me. I tried the spirals and the sequencing and trying to get the lights right drove me nuts (got a little OCD issues) I did find out very quickly that the 16 channels I started out with were not enough and I bought 2 more controllers. STILL not enough. It took me 16 hours to do my first sequence then I go back and tweak it as I learn. I am musically inclined... musically trained... you learn by watching the videos...which I did, twice... folks here are kind..but right now they are busy...(I will be as of this weekend) don't insult their intelligence or take their advice lightly. however, they are wrong...this isn't a hobby, it's an obsession. And Don... you're sick man....just sick...LOL man you make me laugh!

I hear you. Some very old music capability here plus lots of computer experience. This will be my first year out as well. I'm trying a 32 channel megatree this first year and hoping the spiraling will work. I decided to do 16 channels alternating each direction therefore a total of 32. 16 one way and 16 the other, alternating each strand. I was able to simulate this on the visualizer...well, I think I did, lol. At this point, I'm not going to change things and just see how it turns on at first light-up. I'm no longer working so I was able to dedicate lots of time to sequencing but I was able to do a song in about 3 hours. I will admit that I purchased one song already done, then modified it a lot to work with my display. So at the moment, 27 done but still going back and tweaking all the time. Plus, I purchased a single CCR at the sale so now I'm learning how to program it and incorporate it into the display. You are on the right track. Obession or not, time will tell how it works for me as it will for you too.

churchfamilyfarms (or any newbie), did anyone mention to buy extension cords?! lots of them.. .if not buy then make your own. you will always need 'just a few feet more'. seriously, everything said here is right on. read and watch videos to get an idea of what you want to do. if you have a static display you are ahead of someone starting out with nothing. find out if there is any LOR or other large displays in your area and go there. ask and talk to those who set it up. there is so much to this... sequencing, lights and controllers, music - using speakers or broadcasting or both. but it is all worth it when you know that your efforts put a smile on someone's face or you happen to quietly watch a happy memory made with a father and daughter... it is truely all worth it. welcome to the addiction, i mean obsession, no no i mean hobby.

NOW EVERYONE GET BACK TO WORK ON THOSE DISPLAYS!!!!! :D