Light-O-Rama Forums

The REAL How to..

churchfamilyfarms

I am completely new to this and I am basically a moron when it comes to electrical issues. So if anyone has a link or info on how and where to start. What does each channel cover and control. How much ampage get pulled from my home per channel? How much will a basic 4 channel system cost? (not just the package) But set up and ready to go.(not including lights/props).What can you really do with 4 channels? Basically I need an engineer to donate their time and edeucation..haha. Any help would be appreciated.

Given your self-admitted lack of knowledge, my advice would be for you to read, read, read and get yourself up to speed in time for the 2013 season. Your questions are far too vague and unfocused for any other answers that will help you very much.

If you're genuinely sitting here in mid-October thinking about synchronizing to music for this year, you've got a very rough road ahead of you. This hobby isn't at all appropriate for someone who is "a moron when it comes to electrical issues". 4 channels is so far below the threshold of credibility that it's almost impossible to even take your questions seriously - hence the reason why no one has taken the time from their busy schedule this time of year to reply since you posted yesterday.

Do yourself a favor and look for one of those plug and play Mr. Christmas 6-channel setups. When you've mastered that, then maybe it will be time to move up to a LOR system.

• Like 3

Mr. Christmas at HD for $99.98 w/free shipping

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100647653/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051#.UHrYoT9lAb0

And a basic 2 or 4 channel controller for under $30 bucks a pop.

http://www.imaginarycolours.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=LghtCtrl

Enjoy.......

Edited by Mike C.
  • Like 1

i agree with George you need to do a good few months of reading and watch LOR videos before you even look into buying a LOR set up and download the free version of the software and make sure you understand what is really involved in creating and running one of those shows that you see on you tube

its not just a plug and play device its taking me a a year to make my Halloween show

George is right, this hobby takes tons of time and money and is NOT plug and play. It takes several hours per minute of song just in programming. Then there's building your own props, hundreds or thousands of feet of cord both AC and DC and CAT5 cable. Even with a 16 channel starter kit will be challenging to get it done this year. It would be a good idea not to ask questions until you do quite abit of reading, we can tell who has been doing their homework by how they ask their questions.

If you still decide this hobby is for you, welcome to the addiction.

Guest Don Gillespie

Or you could buy 10 controllers today and a bunch of lights, and then ask for some free sequences from anybody just like quite a few others do each year. :P and if your lucky see if the old folks home has some spare people that can set up your display ( I avoid the ones in wheel chairs they seem to slide right off the roof) get the ones with canes they reach higher to install those tough to reach spots.good luck. :P

• Like 1

I am completely new to this [snip]

Welcome to the hobby. Check your PM's. I have some getting started information for you there.

Personally, if you';re not comfortable or used to working with electricity, you may hurt or even kill yourself. And as others have stated, this is definitely NOT a plug and play hobby. It takes a lot of time, most of that is not so much setting up your lights and display, but in the sequencing of the music you're going to use in it.

My first encounter into LOR was 2010, {I think very late December 2009, after Christmas, when I bought my first used CTB16PC controller}, but I had been playing around with the Demo LOR Software Sequencer since about late September/early October 2009 to get the feel of the software and what it could do.

Of course being Demo I couldn't control lights or use the controller I bought, as I didn't get really into it until I bought the USB485B, 4 more Controllers and the Advanced License for the SE. But once I had all that, my first LOR display, Halloween 2010 was my first show {and looking back on it now, it was terrible.} ROFL But at the time I thought it looked fantastic, little did I know.

Every year, I am working on the following years songs to be sequenced, tweaking others that need to be iimproved, and this goes on all year long from year to year. It's not something that can be done in a few hours for most folks, usually a couple or more days to finish a song, and that depends on how complex the song is, what you're going to do with it {i.e. how you want the lights/props to react at specific areas of the music/song}.

So as others said, read, Read and READ some more, the forums here are full of a wealth of info, once you've mastered reading all you can, INCLUDING the ONLINE LOR Manuals and other info, then start asking questions on those aspects you do not understand or don't quite comprehend, there ARE MANY folks here that will and can help you with that. But this time of year, it's just we are all busy with our Halloween or Christmas Display, and some of us do both, so we're strapped for time.

But once you've read everything and still feel comfortable getting into this hobby, welcome aboard. But like stated this is definitety NOT a hobby where you just plug in a song in the sequencer, plug in your lights and everything automagickally comes together for you, you will have to do some work on your own. The key is READ EVERYTHING and ANYTHING you can find on the hobby.

Good Luck.

Edited by Orville

Just know that if you take the time and do it right , the rewards are great , I got mine 2 weeks ago and have 4 songs sequenced but I read and saw every video about this product. My advise is buy your led lights in the after Christmas sales , download the trial software and get to studying. Happy holidays !

I am completely new to this and I am basically a moron when it comes to electrical issues. So if anyone has a link or info on how and where to start. What does each channel cover and control. How much ampage get pulled from my home per channel? How much will a basic 4 channel system cost? (not just the package) But set up and ready to go.(not including lights/props).What can you really do with 4 channels? Basically I need an engineer to donate their time and edeucation..haha. Any help would be appreciated.

Nothing wrong with jumping in and buying a starter package here. I ordered my first controller yrs ago on Dec 5th, received it a few days later, and had a show running by Dec 10th. Wasn't much, just a few blinking bushes and a few windows going blink to TSO, but it was something. Don't forget to figure into the budget weather you you be broadcasting over a transmitter to the audience or just throw some speakers out a window. KEEP IT SIMPLE 1st yr. one or two strings of mini incan's or a few LED on one channel, and you won't have a problem unless you only have one outlet outside that is tied with something like your kitchen refrigerator. Lots of folks here willing to help, just give them a chance, and don't get frustrated. READ READ READ is great advise.

Guest wbottomley

Usually people entering this hobby tries to answer these ten questions. Give it a shot.

1) What's electricity?

2) What's the difference between AC & DC?

3) What's a Triac?

4) Does your PC have directories or folders?

5) Why do some extension cords have their blade on the male end turned sideways?

6) What's the number one reason for electrical deaths?

7) What is RS485?

8) What would you do if you were electrocuted?

9) Can you download and install software without help?

10) What's that white stuff in chicken poop?

Edited by wbottomley

I f your not interested in learning. You still can get it in this year. Just buy all your sequences from one place and use their layout.

I didn't know we called the "ampersand" a difference...

3) What's a Triac?

I think it's what you call one year of the Triassic Period

5) Why do some extension cords have their blade on the male end turned sideways?

Poor manufacturing quality.

The wife turning on the wrong circuit breaker while you're working on a new outlet on the peak of the roof.

Quiver violently and smoke ever so slightly... Hey is someone cooking chicken?

Seriously, I have to say, welcome to the madness. Don't get discouraged, but definitely read read read. From experience of reading literal years of postings in preparation of my first year I have found if you have a question about lights or other tech info it is answered here somewhere. Use the search feature first to find the answer before you post a question it will be quicker and you wont' be flamed by someone frustrated about the same old questions. I literally spent seven (yes 7!!!) months reading postings back to, I believe, '09 before I purchased my first controller.

If you are not comfortable with electricity, find a really good friend who is, or shell out the cash for an electrician to wire your home for the lights. It's expensive but doable.

Most of all realize that many of us who have medium size displays (mines 13,000 lights and 64 channels) start working on programing and prop building in June or July. So that's why we say that you're almost out of time. Many even started setting up their Christmas displays two weeks ago. It's doable to start now, but not easy you may have to cut corners, but that doesn't mean, as an old boss of mine used to say, you can't "Give it a Girl Scout Effort."

Good luck and may your lights blink erratically.

-rainyoregonchristmas

• Like 1

I tend to agree with everyone else here on both sides. lol, I'll play the middle of the road :P If you do a serious amount of reading and buy the appropriate license for the software to work with, you could get a show running this year, assuming you've got some time to plan and set it up, plus buying sequences and music that are already done. Extension cords, decorations or whatever you are doing in your yard, it can be done but as stated, its not the simple box you'll find at Home Depot or Lowes and there are communications to be considered with the LOR controller(s) talking to your computer, wires and etc...

This season will be my first year doing this and I'm jumping in with both feet. I started sequencing last January, following the great advice of the pros here in the forums. Seriously though, if you are going to do this, this year, you need to be jumping fast right now!

Guest wbottomley

I didn't know we called the "ampersand" a difference...

3) What's a Triac?

I think it's what you call one year of the Triassic Period

Poor manufacturing quality.

The wife turning on the wrong circuit breaker while you're working on a new outlet on the peak of the roof.

Quiver violently and smoke ever so slightly... Hey is someone cooking chicken?

Seriously, I have to say, welcome to the madness. Don't get discouraged, but definitely read read read. From experience of reading literal years of postings in preparation of my first year I have found if you have a question about lights or other tech info it is answered here somewhere. Use the search feature first to find the answer before you post a question it will be quicker and you wont' be flamed by someone frustrated about the same old questions. I literally spent seven (yes 7!!!) months reading postings back to, I believe, '09 before I purchased my first controller.

If you are not comfortable with electricity, find a really good friend who is, or shell out the cash for an electrician to wire your home for the lights. It's expensive but doable.

Most of all realize that many of us who have medium size displays (mines 13,000 lights and 64 channels) start working on programing and prop building in June or July. So that's why we say that you're almost out of time. Many even started setting up their Christmas displays two weeks ago. It's doable to start now, but not easy you may have to cut corners, but that doesn't mean, as an old boss of mine used to say, you can't "Give it a Girl Scout Effort."

Good luck and may your lights blink erratically.

-rainyoregonchristmas

LMAO. :D

Edited by wbottomley

Every year people come here in mid-October, thinking they are way ahead of the curve... "It's still 9 or 10 weeks until Christmas - I have plenty of time!" they think. Little do they know that many of us have been planning our 2012 displays for over a year already, and that now is woefully *late* to be starting display planning for an animated display.

But this is absolutely the WORST time for a newbie to begin planning a first-time animated display. Lets look at why:

1. Learning curve: There is a somewhat large learning curve with this stuff. What controllers are you going to buy? How does the software work? What is all this licensing crap? Wait, why do the boxes have two power cords? Can I mount these things outside? Etc. Etc. How long are you going to take to come "up to speed" on all of this?
  2. Sequencing time: Many folks here will scare you with "It takes an hour per 3 seconds of music" or something like that. Frankly I think that's way overblown, but take it to heart anyway. As an experienced sequencer, I could knock out a decent 16 or 32-channel sequence for a display in a few hours for a 3-minutes song. But you're not an experienced sequencer- it's going to take you a LOT longer to hit your stride. Multiply that by a magnitude or three if you're not somewhat musically inclined. You might say that you can avoid that by just purchasing sequences or using someone else's free ones. At the risk of offending some here- I would suggest that unless you *heavily* modify these sequences to fit your display, they aren't going to look very good. And heavily modifying them is going to take a lot of time.
  3. Forum help: There are tons of experts here on this forum. This time of year, all of us are busy frantically finishing our final builds, madly sequencing our music, and setting up our displays. This will continue until our displays are running, and then we'll be so burned out we still aren't in the mood to be terribly helpful. You'll find you get a lot more help in the off-season than you do the crunch time (which we're in now). There are some here who even seem to make a sport of driving off the newbies this time of year- evidently it aids in stress relief ;) We tend to be a helpful bunch when we're in a good mood. This time of year, we're typically too stressed out over the display to be overly chipper, especially if there's the perception that someone hasn't done their homework.
  4. This is the absolute WORST time to buy display supplies. You missed the LOR sale so will be paying top dollar for controllers, if they're even in stock by the time you get around to ordering. Lights? You missed the presales (which happened last Jan-March) and will pay top-dollar for those too. It's pretty much too late to order supplies from China at this point, not that I'd ever recommend that to a newbie at this stage in the game. If you wanted to save money by soldering up your own kits - well lets just say I wouldn't even begin to suggest that for a newbie at this stage of the game.
    If you start planning for 2013, you can buy some items locally on clearance, and get in on all the online sales throughout the next 12 months.
  5. You mentioned a "4 channel setup", which suggests you haven't looked around much at what LOR offers. The smallest controller LOR has ever offered is 8 channels, and would be woefully inefficient to buy a system based around that, although you could. Many of us have hundreds and even thousands of channels - don't let that scare you off. There's plenty of people who start out with a single 16-channel controller and build up over time from there. I myself started with 40 channels 'back in the day'...

Long story short: Put up a nice static display this year, or if you must go animated, buy one of the "big box animated devices" such as the Mr. Christmas or Gemmy. Then start planning *immediately* for your 2013 display. Don't put it off, or you'll be in the same position next year.

Good luck!

Edited by Tim Fischer
  • Like 3

Well said Tim, All of you newbies that just joined up. My advice is to download the software. It will run in demo mode and will not control any lights. But you get familiar with the software and you can seq. songs. And it has an area that you can draw stick man like figures to represent items of your display. So, this gives you a chance to acquire items for your display in the next 12 months. Buy lights when on sale and controllers when LOR has sales. You will not enjoy working on it this few months. Leaving a bad taste in your mouth and to the point we have seen a few throw their hands up and sell their stuff. Take your time and enjoy this hobby.

But I am one of those people that has no rhythm and it takes me a bit of time to do my sequence work. And sure does not help when I start second guessing myself as to what element of my display I want to blink to what instrument. So, I am still going to say it takes me at least 5 hours per minute. Problem I have a defective motivator this year. Might get just one song this year.