Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Flickers

Tracy West

That is the great thing about these RGB strips, strings, modules, ect. You can pretty much cut them anywhere. Cutting them at the dotted line or every 3 LEDs is correct. Just seal the end....thats it. Not need to modify anything or add some type of resister.

Yes. As Kevin said, cutting the RGB dumb strips in easy as long as they are cut at the pre-determined intervals. (every 3 LEDs).

The 20 strips I used in my display are ALL cut. My longest run is 10 feet.

Before I bought my strips, I made sure that they had connecters at both ends of the strip (some come wthl connecters at one end only). That way I didn't have to do any soldering. (I SUCK at soldering!).

My average run is 8 feet long, so after cutting my 16 foot strip in half, both resulting 8 foot lengths had connecters by default. And since they are dumb strips, it does not matter from what end the input power is attached.

ScottyMo

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tracy West

• edvas69

• CLD Kevin

• plasmadrive

To seal them up i just use some non corrosive neatral cure silicone. I use clear heatshrink then inject a bit of silicone inside and then shrink the heat shrink. perfect seal every time.

Good deal!

Thanks guys!

I worked my butt off these last 4 days on getting the props up and the lights going.

I still have a few bugs in the lines at times but they are getting easier to figure out.

I truly think that these RGB strips are super cool but they are more tempermental and demanding as a woman going through menapause! :blink:

2nd Full Dress Rehearsal... better but with disappointments.

My 4 RGB strips on the roof worked great!

My 8 DMX stage lights on the ground worked great!

My 2 RGB strips on the castle..... Flickered like a @#$%!!!!!

I could not get them to stop flickering. I moved them, I switched around the terminator. I thought I moved them far enough away from electrical interferance. NADA! Nothing worked.

I finally pulled the plug on them and video taped the show with just the RGB strips running from the roof and the stage lights.

It looked good but that flash of bright color on the castle is what makes it pop!

I am going to change out controllers tonight and give it another go.

I am truly thinking that I am not a DYI fan.

I want a product that works so I can forget about it until it is time to turn it off. It is very frustrating to have worked so hard on this project all year only to have the equipment fail you. :(

If its not a controller issue then a way to possibly overcome your issues maybe to split the DMX line up by using a DMX splitter as it seems you have issues when you have it all connected up. Something like this anyway just a suggestion

If you find that your flickering goes away if you split up your network by disconnecting different controllers circuits and running them seperatly and there is no flickering then the splitter may fix your issue, either that or get another DMX dongle or 2 to then reduce the generated reflected data on the DMX network

It also could be that you have loaded the line down too much with too many terminators.

Or

perhaps the D+ and D- are connected back-asswards....

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would give my fix (or at least it is fixed for now).  This year mine started to flicker and I'm using exactly what I used last year.  I tried a bunch of things with no luck.  I finally decided to try another dongle (I bought 2 from holidaycoro just to have a backup), so I swapped them out no more flickering.  I hope it lasts the entire season.

I haven't been on the forum for a while and just found this thread...I agree this is supposed to be FUN!!! Now I don't have a lot of DMX channels, Just got into to it last year on a trial basis. I have 4 north pole lights with 3ea rgb modules inside the globes. For DMX I am using the cheap 3 channel controllers. I opted for a 4 conductor 18awg outdoor cable for my signal and power. Using water tight connectors. I have had no issues at all. There again I am not running a long distance on cable nor do I have a large DMX universe. 

• The topic was locked