Light-O-Rama Forums

Heat buildup with Power Supply, DC Board in enclosure

DLTSLC

Like many, I'm jumping on the RGB LED wagon, and ordered RGB dumb strips and CCRs. I had originally planned on mounting the DC board with power supply in an enclosure together to mount under the eaves. However, I read a post from Cracker stating he had a problem with heat buildup to the point he recommended leaving the door open during operation which I can't do because of the bad wind/snowstorms we get.

Has anyone else experienced this and possibly have a solution? I'm considering running them outta the garage and ditching the eaves and enclosure idea - unless there's an awesome idea out there.... :)

Think about trying this.. mount a 2" - 3" 12v muffin fan on the back of the case (with a cage), cost is abt $10 with the cage.. wire it into the ps. Mount the case under the eave with the fan towards the house (or pointed down).. fan runs anytime the ps is on, the cage keeps fingers, slugs out and it's cheap. I'm just laying one of my DC card cases on it's back on the roof, Roof has the "wavey" clay tiles so there is a natural valley the fan will sit in, be above the surface if it rains, and water wont run into it. I've seen very low profile fans at Frys Electronics, and online. You can try Radio Shack or just about any electronics store where you can get components. If there is enough clearance, you could even mount it inside, under the board/ps and have the fan in the case, again, dont forget the cage over the blades.

Edited by TJ Hvasta

My first year with the DC boards, so I don't know how it will work. I purchased a waterproof power supply and plan on mounting outside the box the controller is in, with nighttime temps in the teens, this should help keep things cool.