Light-O-Rama Forums

Assigning Unit IDs

blackcomb

When assigning unit ID numbers, can you skip a few numbers (for future expansion), or do the controllers need to be numbered sequentially? What are the plusses and minuses of skipping ID numbers?

You can assign any ID you wish.* You can also connect the controllers in any order you wish.

For most people the main advantage to skipping ID's is so they don't have to use A-F in the ID's.

* If memory serves there are a few ID's that you can't use. I think they ID's starting with F.

Just to add to Don's reply...unit IDs are not network specific, so make sure every ID is different whether it's in the Reg Network or Aux A, B, ect.

So if you Unit 01 in Reg Network...you can not have a Unit 01 in Aux A even though they are separate networks.

Also, unless you have the Advanced Lic, don't assign a unit number higher then the max # of conrollers your lic support.

for example, If your license is good for 4 controllers, then a Unit ID of 5 might not be controlled

I have 37 controllers and I set the ID's to start with 1 through 9 and then continue at 10-19 ect...

I know technically after 9 comes OA, but years of schooling has brainwashed me into thinking that 10 follows 9 and OA OB OC belong in the alphabet.

When I add controllers they just get unit ID's that are next in line. It doesn't matter where they go in the sequence editor, or where they get wired in the network.

If you do follow this route remember as far as LOR is concerned it is going to look for unit 10 as the 16th unit so you have to raise the max unit ID in the Hardware utility, and make sure your license covers that number of units.

Scott

So if you Unit 01 in Reg Network...you can not have a Unit 01 in Aux A even though they are separate networks.

Are you sure? The documentation suggests differently. It says:

...if two controllers on the same network have the same unit ID, both will react simultaneously to the same commands.

If you have two ID's 01 on the same network they will react the same. If they are on different networks they will be different.

• Like 1

Guest Don Gillespie

Are you sure? The documentation suggests differently. It says:

Steven good point, if I remember correctly some people do this to mimick their displays from a side yard to a front yard

So, back to the original question. If I start with unit 03 - 07 then from 07 to 02 to 01, is that going to affect how the lights operate in the system ? I understand that all the controllers receive all the commands, but only the specific unit IDs will act on the commands, I was just wondering if anyone out there has had a problem with moving the controllers around without redoing the unit #s ?

So, back to the original question. If I start with unit 03 - 07 then from 07 to 02 to 01, is that going to affect how the lights operate in the system ? I understand that all the controllers receive all the commands, but only the specific unit IDs will act on the commands, I was just wondering if anyone out there has had a problem with moving the controllers around without redoing the unit #s ?

Nope, have 30 controllers, they are almost never in the same physical location in the display or on the Cat5 chain

• 2 weeks later...