Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Family Controller Fund

ItsMeBobO

Thank you everyone. Bob notified me by PM that all of you wonderful donors have decided to upgrade my software to the advanced edition. I cannot thank you all enough. Hopefully I can put it to good use :D

And sorry to all of those checking the forum 5 or more times to see if the winners had been announced! My lame excuse was my daughters 4th birthday party that was supposed to be at the pool yesterday. And I say "supposed" to be since after having no rain for almost 2 months, we had rain and a tornado warning! Quick move to the house (and shoving all my stuff in closets), we had a house full of 4-8 year olds. I didn't get a chance to check until this morning.

Thank you again.

-Missi

• Like 1

Whoo Hooo!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

I was fortunate enough to be awarded the starter software package, and cannot express my thank-you enough for this!!

Thank-you, Thank-you! Thank-you!

And a really huge THANK-YOU to all of those involved and making some more people smile and get into a Christmas frame of mind.

:D :D :D

Neil and Family

Thank you Thank you Thankyou

To everyone for choosing my family for the gift certificate, this will be a very big help in getn a controller.

again many thanks to everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

we cant say thankyou enough

Smith family

Toledo Ohio

• Like 1

well i want to say congrats to the family's that won this years scholarship

it looks like i was going to have to put these plans on the back burners for now anyway i'll just set up my statics for this season an try again 4 next year or after this seasons over an start putting it together come spring

family comes first (mom)

again CONGRATS to ya'll :lol::PB)

happy holidays and Merry Christmas everybody :)

the Lacey

congrats to all that won a prize if bob choose you then you must deserve it . we will all be hear to help at anytime and look forward to seeing your shows in the future

dan

and too the people that didnt win stick in there and try again next year

Thank you all so very much for selecting us for the scholarship. It's awesome to be part of a community full of people that are so generous with their time, experience, and money. There were so many great stories listed here and I feel very humbled to be selected. I won't let you down. I will do my best to be a positive reflection of this hobby and community. Thank you especially to Bob and the donors for making this all possible. You are a great group of people and I hope over time to become a source of information to others just like you have been to me (and will continue to be for quite sometime).

THANK YOU AGAIN!!!

Chad

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Now that the Christmas light show season has started I wanted to again thank all of the members that donated to this fund. I was able to take full advantage of the additional controller and started my show on 11/23. I'm already looking at adding three more controllers for next year. If you would like to see what your donations helped accomplish you can see some of the videos on our website www.lightschristmasaction.com/videos. Thank you again for your generosity, knowledge, and support!

Edited by TheUltimate
  • Like 1

Looks great! I just ordered my first controller and the software. I have 0 experience with any of the setup but had a question about your lights. How does the controller make the white light posts in your video with the star on top 'chase' each other to light up. Are they one strand of led lights?

Mighty_Mace, There are 7 segments on each post. So each segment is a channel. I chase from the bottom channel up to the top (star). In this case the segments are 12" (including the star). I used one 100ct string of lights for each segment.

• I'm brand new to this LOR stuff and this forum in particular. In fact, I just orderd my 1st controller yesterday!! I seem to have this knack for getting behind the 8-ball right out of the chute!! Looks like i'm only about 4 or 5 months behind!! :unsure: I've already built two medium sized arches that should have 4 channels each and will be finishing my medium (about 12 foot) mega tree on Wednsday! From what I've been able to glean from this site that'll pretty much tap out my 16 channels. This seems to be an AWESOME forum with a lot of good hearted people! I'm VERY impressed that members donated controllers to newbies!!!!!! Renew's my faith in mankind!!!!! Now all I need is my controller (and help to figure it out!! :P )

i have got to say i love lor i am new at this i have two kids they love the light show i couldnt afford the controller box i have a friend who is in it bigtime and he had a backup box he let me barrow and i am now hooked it is pretty cool each week when i get paid i buy a few more lights you have a cool product

• 3 weeks later...

I have about 10,000 LED lights on just 4 channels. The mere 4 channels is because I have the GE Wireless Sights and Sounds of Christmas (only $130). I have wanted to step up to the big leagues (LOR) for quite some time, but have been intimidated by it's complexity and it's costs. I have watched many videos and have now somewhat got over the complexity thing. Now I am just concerned about the LOR start-up costs and the fact that I have already invested $100's in long strands of LED lights. Not sure how to implement my 75+ 50' strands of C6 lights into a light o rama sequence. My current system in the below video is a little embarrassing next to some of the videos I have seen :). Here are the startup costs that have left me a little concerned.

16 Channel LOR Starter $300

1,000 feet Spt1 Wire $140

Vampire Plugs $70

Sign $50

FM Transmitter $150

Speakers $100

Am I missing anything?

Looking at the video you could start with the display you have you would be able to use all the lights your already have. You are probably already using some extension cords so you probably won't need 1000' of wire. The controller itself can be had for less than $300 if you wait for the sale and are willing to put it together. I would download the demo software and start playing with sequencing because that would probably be the most time consuming part. Just my .02 and I could be wrong....

Hey Zooo welcome to the forum. You have a wonderful display already.

Drop the $100 speakers. Your show can be totally silent if guests use their car radios.

If you want block party style during some hours, you can set a boom box out tuned to your station. The boom box has the added benefit of proving your transmitter is working.

As you learn your way around the forums you will find that you get better responses to questions if you start your own topic with a proper subject line. When your question does not relate to the subject many members will miss it. Good luck with your planning and Merry Christmas!