Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Family Controller Fund

ItsMeBobO

One syndrome you forgot.. I haven't found a name for it yet but it causes you to look at normal items and try to figure out how it could become part of your display.

• Like 2

reconfigureitis?

No. I think that's the name for the unexplainable urge to continue changing your display long after you should have called it "final" so you don't have to keep modifying your sequences. :)

No. I think that's the name for the unexplainable urge to continue changing your display long after you should have called it "final" so you don't have to keep modifying your sequences. :)

its called a great addiction

ok my story is not a funny one or even a sappy one but a motovated one,

My father and i have ALWAYS been a big fan of xmas lights as far back as i can remember. My dad every year put up more and more lights and displays for the neighborhood families. We were in a very low budget type of neighborhood but had great neighbors. My dads main goal was to see the kids smile. People would offtin offer him money to help pay the electric bill but dad all ways said that the smiles were enough. Many times some familes there didnt have money for xmas so my dad would take a couple of his lighted displays and go to there house and set it up at night so when there kids woke up it was there for them in front of there house. When asked my dad always played dumb and said " I have no idea where it came from, must of been santa". The kids always knew and thanked him. He was Grandpa Smith to them all. When i turned 16 my dad started letting me help set up everything and from that point on it was a father son deal. When i moved out and started my own family i still went over to his house every year and helped set up and even went with him to others to set up the secret displays for the kids. A few years ago we started seeing these LOR displays and my dad said " Thats what i want to do, dancing lights with music, the kids will love it ". By this time my dad was 82 and i was 39. He said " I want to get this for them if you can program it" This is when i added my son to the tradition. He is a computer wis. He was glad to join the ranks so the three of us started doing our research. our goal was for the year of 2012 to start our new display. last year, xmas 2011 the three of us gave most of my dads display away to needy familys in the neighborhood with the intention of getting new equiptment for the 2012 season. Well in may this year my father passed due to cancer. The lord took him quick, he found out he had cancer in april, passed in may. I thank GOD it was quick and painless for the most part. My son and i still want to do what my dad planned but neather of us can afford it, with me being off from work due to injury and my son being a fulltime student money is hard to come by. When i saw this post here on LOR i said something to my son and he told me to tell you our story. My father never took donations but in this case i think he would except cause he knows that any donations my son and i get is for the kids and will go to the kids. I think my dad would be proud to know that my son and i are trying to keep the tradition going and hopefully he and his son ( when he has one ) will also keep it going. I know there are other people out there that are more needy then us and i hope they get your generus gift and use it for the joy of everyone. but if not i am always willing to except it lol. Well this is our story, didnt mean to make it so long, theres so much to say. I just hope that this year i can fullfill my dads wish and keep the smiles going.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and HAPPY LOR to everyone

Dennis Smith

Toledo Ohio

One more day for entries, any other Newbies out there want to apply.

Bob, This was a very fine idea. Not sure how I missed this last year. Glad I could throw a few bucks at you this time.

We are still collecting contributions for a newbie family to get their first time animated display started. Thank you to all who have posted or given or linked to this thread.

Please note the dates : The last day to apply is Sunday August 12th.

Donors are sent a recap of funds collected and applications made on August 14th.

Newbie family fund will still be accepting donations until Wednesday August 22.

Final review of funds collected and donor comments by August 24th.

The recipients will be announced Sunday August 26. or close to that date.

blueglass.jpg

We had nine people post their newbie introduction stories. Thank you!

All are being considered. Apologies for incorrectly stating in some messages or emails that we had eight.

We are still collecting contributions for a newbie family to get their first time animated display started.

The fund has collected enough to gift one controller and about half way to a second one. Your gift may top off the fund. Thank you.

• Like 3

Insert *Jeopardy* theme song here.

I've checked my account at least 5 times today in anticipation.

Ooops let me phrase that in the form of a question:

This late 20th century lighting enthusiast checked his email and LOR account 5 times today.

"Who is RainyOregonChristmas."

The anticipation is killing me, I better go back to fabricating wire frames.

Insert *Jeopardy* theme song here.

I've checked my account at least 5 times today in anticipation.

Ooops let me phrase that in the form of a question:

This late 20th century lighting enthusiast checked his email and LOR account 5 times today.

"Who is RainyOregonChristmas."

The anticipation is killing me, I better go back to fabricating wire frames.

yea, me too. is that wrong?

Working on it. Two kids are running me ragged the last two days. Gynamstics, pool, Incredible pizza, church, broken toilet. Still planning on notifying the winners tonight.

FYI Thank you all donors for a whopping $510 dollars collected for newbie families! There will be two 'gift certificates' awarded and two upgrades to SE advanced.

• Like 1

If we offer to fix the toilet would that help our chances? Or is it too late for that... you also probably might not want to wait for me to drive three days to fix it.

Totally understand the kids bob, with 4 myself its a wonder i have time to sequence songs. ( a lot of long nights ) but i wouldn't change it for the world. enjoy them now i say. never know what tomorrow will bring.

yea rainy, i think 3 day is a long time to hang on to all that chit :lol: ( hope the neighbors are close, or a gas station at lease )

Edited by Mr Grunts

The scholarship winners have been notified via PM. Congratulations !

This was a difficult choice this year but we tried very hard to be fair and consider available information. Sorry we were unable to award something to everyone.