Light-O-Rama Forums

Newbie Question: How/where Do I Save My Audio And Sequence Files?

robo

First just wanted to say that I love this LOR hobby. This is my first year and have 64 channels ready to go. But I'm having an issue finding the sequences and the matching audio files? I keep everything on my desktop so I can find them easily. But when I try to find them through show editor some are not there under desktop, yet I see the files on my desktop?

Also is whats the best place to keep the files together instead of searching all the time. Seems like I keep getting repeat files on my desktop? I'm running out of room. Please keep your answers simple as I'm not IT guy. Thanks again for any help! Rob Mr. Newbie:P

The default LOR Data directory is where your audio, sequence and show files are located. (Along with your Visualization folders, etc.) When you first ran Light-O-Rama you were asked where you want to put this directory.

If you didn't choose your desktop as the data directory the very first time you ran the software, then other programs, such as the show editor, are not going to look at the desktop first, they are going to look in the default data directory you chose (from the first paragraph.) This would be why when you open the Show Editor, the program isn't 'seeing' the files; they aren't where the Show Editor has been told to look.

The 'repeat' files are due to a backup copy saved each time you save the file. (That's one of them.) There are two other files created, which you are probably seeing as well.

The best place to keep the files, at least in my opinion, is in the LOR data directory. The more sequences you have, the more files you will have cluttering up your desktop.

If you've forgotten what you chose as the default directory, just want to change it, here is how. (Text copied from Bob at Light-O-Rama)

Close all of your running LOR programs. Not just things like the Sequence Editor, but also the LOR Control Panel (which is the light bulb icon in your computer's system tray). You can close the LOR Control Panel by right-clicking on it and selecting "Unload Light-O-Rama" from its popup menu.

Using Windows Explorer, open up the directory that contains your LOR program files. This is typically, but not always, C:Program FilesLight-O-Rama.

In that directory, there should be a file called LORPost.exe (it might show up as just "LORPost", depending upon how you have Windows set up). Run that file.

It will step you through a few dialogs. In one of them, it will ask you where you want LOR to store data files. Tell it the directory ABOVE the directory your sequences are in. For example, if your sequences are in C:Your NameShaneMy DocumentsLight-O-RamaSequences, tell it to store LOR data in C:Your NameShaneMy DocumentsLight-O-Rama.

ok did the directory change, thanks. Now do I put the sequence file under sequence and the audio file under audio? That justs sounds dumb typing that.

robo wrote:

ok did the directory change, thanks. Now do I put the sequence file under sequence and the audio file under audio? That justs sounds dumb typing that.

I wouldn't call it dumb ... more like, "I can't believe it's that simple."

Yes, sequences go in the 'sequences' directory, audio in the 'audio' directory.

Note that when you move sequences are/were stored on your desktop, you'll want to go to "Edit -> Media File" and choose the audio file again. (That is, after you move them to the 'sequences' directory.)

ok now I open the show editor and go into the light-o-rama sequance and audio folder and it still list none of the files?
but if I go through my explorer i can see them?

robo wrote:

ok now I open the show editor and go into the light-o-rama sequance and audio folder and it still list none of the files?

Go ahead and move the files from your desktop into your new audio/sequences directory. Once you do that, you should be good to go.

robo wrote:

Go ahead and move the files from your desktop into your new audio/sequences directory. Once you do that, you should be good to go.

robo wrote:

Did you mean sequence editor????

I relocated them from desktop to c drive> user> rob> documents>lightorama> audio/sequences respectively. But I can't see them when I search for them in the "show editor". But if I look for them outside of the "show editor" I see them. I can open both audio and sequence through the sequence editor fine, thats why im confused. Thanks For your help guys!

Im not infront of my computer im at work. But I watched the lor video were he arranges the sequence in order that u want to play them in. then he saved them as a "show". I tried to do the same , but wasn't able to find the sequences. I believe thats the show editor.
im I missing something?

If you made a show, go to show editor,if it is a musical show, click on the musical tab. click open, pick the show you named and it sholud be there, thats if you already made a show. If not, make a show and follow the above.

What exactly is a"show". I made a sequence that runs to music in the sequence editor. And saved it. Is that concidered a "show". Or do you have to finalize it as a show?

Also when I open a file in sequence editor. I can only find my sequences in "recent" and not "existing". Maybe im not saving it correctly?

A show is all of your sequences that you want to play. Could be one or 100, I have no idea wht it is only showing in existing.

OK, it seems we need to find the default directory for your setup.

Open the sequence editor, (where you make your animations)under the new sequence tab, create a new sequence, either musical or not.

Then click on FILE in the command lines at the top left of that window. (Or you can hold the ALT button and hit the F KEy)

Then select SAVE, not save as.

This will open the default directory in your program and you can see where your program wants to save files.

This is the location where you need to move your sequence files to.

You can always open them in the Recent TAB if they have not been moved, then SAVE them again in the default directory. That should allow you to see them in the "Existing" Tab.

If they are not in the directory listed in your default SAVE, you have said you can find them in Explorer, so you can just now move them to the corect folder.

I think I have the same directories under C:Program Files, but the default I used when I set the program up was MyDocumentsLightoRamaSequences.

I too had to move stuff around. :)

Thanks for that info, I will look into that tomorow evening. Its our annivesary today so I don't think the wife will let me work on my important christmas lights.. Ill keep you posted on the results. Rob