Light-O-Rama Forums

Bad News or Good News First?.

CLD Kevin

Cracker wrote:

This hobby is all about having fun...so stop reading (Yaaaaaawn) and get back to sequencing.

Kevin

Back to sequencing??????? Crap I haven't even got started for this year :shock:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WilliamS

• jimswinder

• rescue_653

• CLD Kevin

GoofyGuy wrote:

Orville wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
Orville wrote:
and of course the best grossing movie of 2012!:P
No doubt it will be gross.... :cool:

ROFLMAO!

Dont mind as long as I can pick who plays me in the movie. Im thinking Jim Carey or The Rock
Movie??!! How about books on tape! That way you can speed them up like the chipmunks!

Arnoldc wrote:

GoofyGuy wrote:
Orville wrote:
jimswinder wrote:
Orville wrote:
and of course the best grossing movie of 2012!:P
No doubt it will be gross.... :cool:

ROFLMAO!

Dont mind as long as I can pick who plays me in the movie. Im thinking Jim Carey or The Rock
Movie??!! How about books on tape! That way you can speed them up like the chipmunks!

Audio Tape? Video Tape{VHS/Beta?} Do they still make that stuff? LOL

Everything I have now is usually on CD or DVD, including audio books!

Kevin,

Question, did the give any notice that they were planning to put these rules into effect?

Was the rules voted on in one meeting or did they discuss it in one meeting and vote the next after giving notice to the community?

The reason I ask is that when making major rules changes HOA's are required to give notice to the members of the HOA. I'd say that limiting holiday displays counts as a major rules change. I'm guessing there are going to be a lot of pissed off home owners who would likely like to fill the room once they hear about this. Get 50 or more members complaining in front of the HOA and they might back down. The other option, run for HOA President and get the other members effected by the new rules to run for the other offices. If most of you get in the you can repeal the rule.

Would you be ok with telling us what these new rules are? I think it would be good fou us to see what kind of rules an HOA is using to stop holiday displays so we can try to head off our HOAs before they start.

Timon wrote:

Kevin,

Get 50 or more members complaining in front of the HOA and they might back down. The other option, run for HOA President!

+1!

Why not look at this as an opportunity to be a LOR "Angel" and find a newbie nearby who has no HOA, or other issues that may cause snags. Then assist them by moving your display there. I imagine something like a contest or a "Prize Van" (Ok maybe Prize Box Truck) showing up to a newbies house saying congratulations your display's gonna be huge this year. Then next year move it somewhere else. Let it a way that joy is spread to new areas and communities and give them a chance to be happy about something for one year. Besides, I think even grumpy neighbors could put up with a fantastic display for just one Christmas, then next year it's somewhere else. Just thoughts from a newbie.

Cracker wrote:

So let’s not turn this post into something ugly. Lets look at the positive side. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Maybe I’ll move the display to a bigger and better venue...have it really blow up...make a million dollars and get Justin Bieber to take a break from beating up photographers and perform live at my show. :)

This hobby is all about having fun...so stop reading (Yaaaaaawn) and get back to sequencing.

Kevin

Kevin,

You are a class act in your posts and a master at this craft.

Good luck and continued success to you.

Such a bummer Kevin... Me and my family have seen your youtube videos and they are amazing. Just curious, as I'm moving to Riverside County... your HOA isn't near Canyon Lake is it? LOL...

I get shot down before I even move into our new home. haha

Sorry to hear that Kevin. Damn that sucks and I could not imagine being force to stop.

Now all you can do is blare "Sorry for Party Rocking" outside maybe those who complained will change their minds.

Looking forward to seeing your next venue :P

This will be my first year out with an LOR display. I've done two previous years here as static only and it looked nice. In this community, its a POA which is the same thing as an HOA or I think it is. Anyway, I'm the chairperson of the architectural committee. I'm the person who approves building plans, pools and so on. I can't approve my own plans of course but I have advised the POA board of directors of my Christmas display intentions. I've also already asked my direct neighbors if they might be bothered by it and so on. I've already planned, audio in the yard for the 1st show of the night then FM Transmission only following that and shutting down the show probably at 10Pm or so. So far, no complaints but of course, I've got another 5 months till first light-up.

Cracker, you should post your website up for your business if its allowed.

Troy Mann wrote:

Now all you can do is blare "Sorry for Party Rocking" outside maybe those who complained will change their minds.

+1 :)

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

First let me say I don’t want to this to turn the wrong direction like it started too with the HOA discussion so lets try not to get all crazy on how we feel about HOAs. We all know...no need to tell us.

So we had our HOA meeting today to adopted the new “Holiday Display” policy...it passed. It’s not as bad as it worded in the letter sent and we asked for clearer wording on the rules. Basically they are telling us we...and I can still have our holiday light displays, but they just don’t want the crowds that come with it. That is something I cannot control. Maybe with the community help with closing down streets and traffic control, but I just don’t think they want to go through all that trouble. So I can understand their point as it truly was too crazy and too crowded for a residential neighborhood.

So officially I’m out for any future holiday displays at my home...animated or static. For at least a few years. Maybe go back to tradition static afterwards.

As for my plans this year...don’t know yet. Possibly moving it, but its already June and have no location so maybe nothing.

Is it me or does this story sound familiar...cough cough Holdman cough :D

Kevin

Kind of goes to my old saying, no good can come out of media coverage. I enjoy my show my neighbors enjoy my show, so if someone happens to drive by and stop and watch hey great. On a usual night a few cars may stop at the same time, but never more than five. And honestly I wouldn't want more than that sitting out front.

CLD Kevin wrote:

So I can understand their point as it truly was too crazy and too crowded for a residential neighborhood.

The televised media I think was the biggest reason. I've told my wife that if we do the display this year and she see's a TV crew to hit the kill switch and "NO Comment" is the word of the day.

So officially I’m out for any future holiday displays at my home...animated or static. For at least a few years. Maybe go back to tradition static afterwards.

I'll bet if you don't put up a youtube video this year, or at least make it unlisted except for those of us on the forums that ask for the link, until after the holiday you'd be OK. Could be wrong but that's my bet.

As for my plans this year...don’t know yet. Possibly moving it, but its already June and have no location so maybe nothing.

Golf courses might be a good bet since I don't think there is much going on in the evening at least I don't know of many night golfers. Might have to hang everything on a BIG net but that shouldn't be a big issue.

Is it me or does this story sound familiar...cough cough Holdman cough :D
Kevin

It does although his biggest problem is that he was in a gated community so public access was not something the public had right to.

I'd say lets put it on my house but ... the one I hope to do is going to be bad enough. I'll post either private or unlisted first and then change to public after the holiday.

John

CLD Kevin wrote:

I always thought an old Drive In Theater would be a great place for a display...

lots of parking, big area to set up...

jimswinder wrote:

CLD Kevin wrote:

I always thought an old Drive In Theater would be a great place for a display...

lots of parking, big area to set up...

Good idea, pull up, grab the speaker and hang it on the window, get some popcorn and watch the blinky blink lights.

shfr26 wrote:

Good idea, pull up, grab the speaker and hang it on the window, get some popcorn and watch the blinky blink lights
and look at that!!

You have TWO Drive Ins in Riverside

Van Buren Drive In
3035 Van Buren Boulevard Riverside, CA 92503

Rubidoux Multi Screen Drive In
3770 Opal Street, Riverside, CA 92509

Attached files 320179=17477-CA_RubMST.gif

I was nervous about this very thing a few years ago and was trying to come up with some ideas. My wife suggested this (I never proceeded any further) Set the show up at a local state park that is set up for camping. In the winter season they are basically closed, there is plently of power located throughout, and it could be simply a drive by type setup with multiple smaller displays. Just a thought though.

Just take over the HOA. Get people to vote you pres and then stack the deck like those jerks do. Before we moved out of a HOA in Madison MS. I was starting to take over the HOA. Then moved back to IL away from an HOA. This is why I dont live in a HOA.

[glow=yellow]My HOA imposed new “Holiday Display” rules that pretty much pulled the plug on my display. I live in community of hundreds of homes and only a few (4 or 5) homeowner complained. They didn’t even live on my street which should be the first to complain[/glow]

That's news no one wants! HOA has control, especially when there is a squeaky wheel that speaks up to complain. I live in a HOA and have had the blessing from them, they have told me some have complained, but the good of the show out weighs the complaints. This year I'll be faced with three new neighbor's, this could really hurt. I am keeping my fingers crossed! toes. etc!
I feel for you Kevin! I know what my heart and soul would go through under those circumstances. I hope some how you can talk with the ones who complained, I know for myself, I need to put together an intelligent letter for all who live in our HOA, it can be sent out with the annual news letter. Maybe it can help put out fires! Deal with them more directly.