Light-O-Rama Forums

Android Light-o-Rama Control

mryan23

If he decides he doesn't want to support it, I can try and make an app to do the same thing. If he would give me the app code file that would make it a lot easier. Did anyone get the app to test?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caleb Linburg

• spomalley

• Tim Fischer

• mryan23

Any news on this? Is this another vaporware app? Please advise.... thanks!

If he decides he doesn't want to support it, I can try and make an app to do the same thing. If he would give me the app code file that would make it a lot easier. Did anyone get the app to test?

That would be great if you could create an app too. Even if there is already an app in progress, though this one may take a while, it would be great to have a couple of options for something like this. I'd be in to test an app if you created one.

That would be great if you could create an app too. Even if there is already an app in progress, though this one may take a while, it would be great to have a couple of options for something like this. I'd be in to test an app if you created one.

I shoud be able to start progress in under 2 weeks (I am very busy this week). I am wondering what commands are best to use between lor and the app. I guess I will figure it out in the meantime.

I acctually just had a thought about the app "touch osc" if someone better with pc code could write a code for windows that receives midi input from the app and converts it to windows shell commands (to test the theory). That would be one app with the same layout on both android and iOS.

I acctually just had a thought about the app "touch osc" if someone better with pc code could write a code for windows that receives midi input from the app and converts it to windows shell commands (to test the theory). That would be one app with the same layout on both android and iOS.

Can test it for you when you start building

I have been using Wyse PocketCloud since last year. It allows you to connect to your computer from wifi or 3G/4G and actually take complete control. iPad and Android versions available and it is FREE. Paid versions available as well for some pretty cool access to any pc anywhere from any device.

www.pocketcloud.com

I would like to try an APP based setup or the pocketcloud setup but security of preventing someone else from gaining access to my main computer is an issue when you open comm ports regardless of the connection type. I would need to know a lot more before risking my systems.

I hope this is not off subject, but i found a thread describing how to control your show. This app is $4 for the ipad/iphone. It has the ability to echo your screen (people use it to play World of Warcraft remotely). You get full mouse control, music and video. I plan on using it while i walk around the front yard testing. It says that you can do this anywhere if u have an iphobe, i have not tried that part. i have tested the wifi connection on my ipad. very smooth.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/showthread.php?20920-HLS-Remote-Testing-via-your-Phone

Post #5 from mikeh65:

"I would recommend an app I found called "Splashtop" http://www.splashtop.com/remote . It is a remote streaming connection to any computer you load their remote desktop software on. It is a full function stream of that computer. I can connect to any of my computers through my smartphone from anywhere over the cell network and can connect to any of my computer through my tablet as long as I am on the same network. The tablet is WiFi only. The app is between $5 and $10 depending on on what you buy, I use the phone app on both my phone and tablet. Works great, plan on using it for testing of the Christmas setup."

thanks

sean

I wish I had more time, and I could write an iPhone app that did some LOR control (among other things, I'm an iPhone developer by day). Doing the app on the phone side woudl be pretty trivial.

If anyone ends up doing this on Android, the "computer-side" app should be able to be used with any platform (assuming someone writes the client-side app for it), assuming it's written generically enough (e.g. sending http: strings for the various "commands")

Out of curiousity, what are people hoping such an app would do? Would it be used by your guests to select songs? Would it be used by you to test the lights? Just wondering what people are thinking.

Also, how much would you be willing (if anything) to spend on such an app? I wouldn't plan on getting rich off of it, but since I don't think I'd have a use for this myself, having a small amount of pocket money might find me some free time to work on it, if you know what I mean ;) Also as was mentioned above, there's the $99 Apple fee that would need to be covered, since I would need to get my own developer license for this and not be able to use my company's.

I wish I had more time, and I could write an iPhone app that did some LOR control (among other things, I'm an iPhone developer by day). Doing the app on the phone side woudl be pretty trivial.

If anyone ends up doing this on Android, the "computer-side" app should be able to be used with any platform (assuming someone writes the client-side app for it), assuming it's written generically enough (e.g. sending http: strings for the various "commands")

Out of curiousity, what are people hoping such an app would do? Would it be used by your guests to select songs? Would it be used by you to test the lights? Just wondering what people are thinking.

Also, how much would you be willing (if anything) to spend on such an app? I wouldn't plan on getting rich off of it, but since I don't think I'd have a use for this myself, having a small amount of pocket money might find me some free time to work on it, if you know what I mean ;) Also as was mentioned above, there's the $99 Apple fee that would need to be covered, since I would need to get my own developer license for this and not be able to use my company's.

Tim, that'd be great I'd be willing to spend a few € or $ if developed. I'd be looking for a Hardware Utilty and a Scheduler, maybe a verifier?

Tim, that'd be great I'd be willing to spend a few € or $ if developed. I'd be looking for a Hardware Utilty and a Scheduler, maybe a verifier?

i plan on using mine to do testing of everything as i walk the front and back yards. having the ability to turn on or off the scheduler while remote might be useful.

Mostly i magine using the ipad as part of the initial setup.

Did the original poster ever check back in? He said he'd be willing to share what he's doing to get his app to work on the LOR side. Since LOR provides no actual hooks to do this stuff, it's kind of limited what you can do, and usually requires some sort of hackiness.

For example, I wouldn't be able to write a HWU on the iPad without either LOR giving a lot more hooks, or me somehow reverse-engineering the LOR protocol and doing it all myself (which I wouldn't do for many reasons).

Mostly i magine using the ipad as part of the initial setup.

My thoughts also, I just added scheduler and verifier as I imagine that would be a popular feature amongst others.

Tim I just meant something similar to the hardware utility

Edited by spomalley

I was under the impression people wanted an app that visitors to their show could control the display with.

Until LOR gives people actual hooks to control the lights via plugins or external software, I don't think we'll be seeing any "LOR on smartphone" apps. Unless someone is willing to hack the LOR protocol, which I'm not, and probably would result in a call from LOR's legal team ;)

Oops I forgot to add the other half of my thought :)

There are a number of VNC clients out there, as well as other remote solutions, which allow you to control your show computer from a smartphone, tablet, or another computer. For those who are looking to carry a tablet or phone around and test, that might be the best solution as you'll have total control.