Light-O-Rama Forums

Any suggestions on keeping nuisance cats out?

Guest guest

t purser wrote:

Jerry wrote:
We have had some success with moth balls, incorporated into the mulch. Our area is much smaller than yours though.
my wifes cat hates moth balls i bet that would work

Do you like moth balls?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• jimswinder

• Surfing4Dough

• edvas69

Guest Don Gillespie

Donny M. Carter wrote:

t purser wrote:
Jerry wrote:
We have had some success with moth balls, incorporated into the mulch. Our area is much smaller than yours though.

Do you like moth balls?

How can anyone even see moth balls, moths are so small to begin with

Donny M. Carter wrote:

t purser wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Do you like moth balls?

Yea, they're really tangy and very tasty!:shock:

You should really give them a taste.:P

Orville wrote:

Donny M. Carter wrote:
t purser wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Do you like moth balls?

We'll take your word for it!

Orville wrote:

Rich wrote:
You could try using crushed red chili pepper flakes. I sprinkle them liberally in the garden to discourage the squirrels from digging. It is similiar in color to the mulch and is only visible up close. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long and has to be reapplied after watering or rain. I buy the bulk size from Costco and keep it with my gardening supplies.
Rich

Thanks Rich,

May have to try that option and see how it works.   I'd be reapplying daily as the garden is new and I usually water it twice a day for the next 2 weeks or so until everything gets established, but with these vermin cats, that's going to be a challenge!  

Wonder if Jalapeno peppers would work?    Those things are pretty darn hot too!   

My cat doesn't go in the area, so I don't have to worry about him getting into that stuff. LOL

Rather than water using spray add a drip system to the garden. First it will use less water, second you can spread the chile or what ever you use and only have to worry about the rain washing it away.

Jerry wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
Moth balls seemed to help too.

I have an area that's 3ft by 17ft in front of my home. And I had the same issue with the cat's using it as a litter box, and the squirrels digging up my wife's tulips. So I read online about the moth balls. I opened 3 boxes and spread the balls all around. It's been 3 weeks now, without any issues from ANY critter!

Donny M. Carter wrote:

Orville wrote:
Donny M. Carter wrote:
t purser wrote:
Jerry wrote:

Do you like moth balls?

We'll take your word for it!

All those moths with their little legs broken...how sad.

Unless we're talking about really large moths, it sounds like it would require quite a few of 'em to come up with a sufficient quantity of moth balls to even be able to taste. And even then, they probably taste like chicken anyway...