Light-O-Rama Forums

Any suggestions on keeping nuisance cats out?

Guest guest

The LOR CTB16PC has inputs that can be used to trigger a sequence, so its basically a very simple 1 output sequence that will be triggered for 1 minute every time the sensor is triggered.

Unfortunatly i dont Use LOR software anymore so im not sure exactly which way to point you but im sure there will be no shortage of suggestions on how to do this.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• jimswinder

• Surfing4Dough

• edvas69

Get a motion detector and aim it at the garden; put it on short range and in TEST mode. Connect it to a sprinkler valve and a single sprinkler that hits the whole area for a few seconds whenever the cats visit.

Much cheaper than a CTB16PC, eh?

I had a coworker that had similar problems with 2 of his neighbor's cats years ago that practically drove him crazy. I remember hearing him on the phone with his wife cussing up a storm at "KC and Bumper". I cracked up when I learned he was talking about 2 cats--so much that I remember those 2 cat's names to this day. He finally found that getting a big container of black pepper and spreading it all over the flower bed made a difference. Moth balls seemed to help too.

Orville wrote:

:)scubado wrote:
BTW, ferel cats do have nine lives, I've tried to put a few down and it's not easy!

Well I do know one way that would wipe them out {cause death} within 30 minutes or less, it's a product used in your automobile.

It will absolutely cause permanent and fatal renal/kidney failure, and then death within 30 minutes, and once consumed, there isn't much hope in saving the animal.

All I'd have to do is add this stuff to my pond they drink out of. But I absolutely won't go there, no matter how tempting and annoying these cats are. I don't want to destroy or kill them, just get them to move on elsewhere. Plus it would also be detrimental to other wildlife, so definitely do not want to go there.

But those 9 lives would all be up in about 30 minutes, maybe less, if they drank this stuff.

And I'm not saying what it is.

Don't want to give anyone any ideas that could get them into some real hot water.

Well lets see, You use it in your car cooling system, it can't be water, so that only leaves one thing. Your not saying what it is, so I guess that all of us "adults" will never be able to figure it out. Glad you didn't tell us and make us do something we shouldn't. Thanks for not telling us ! Gee, I'm still wondering what it is. Maybe I will ask my granddaughter if she can figure it out.

Orville wrote:

Rich wrote:
You could try using crushed red chili pepper flakes. I sprinkle them liberally in the garden to discourage the squirrels from digging. It is similiar in color to the mulch and is only visible up close. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long and has to be reapplied after watering or rain. I buy the bulk size from Costco and keep it with my gardening supplies.
Rich

Thanks Rich,

May have to try that option and see how it works. I'd be reapplying daily as the garden is new and I usually water it twice a day for the next 2 weeks or so until everything gets established, but with these vermin cats, that's going to be a challenge!

Wonder if Jalapeno peppers would work? Those things are pretty darn hot too!

My cat doesn't go in the area, so I don't have to worry about him getting into that stuff. LOL

A friend of mine used crushed, dried, Habanero Pepper powder. His cats didn't unroll the toilet paper anymore. Be careful though. That stuff can hurt you. (i.e. Wear gloves)

edvas69 wrote:

start collecting the animals feces and dumping it in their letterbox, make sure it smears all over the inside. im sure they will confront you and then suggest if they manage their cat then you will stop delivering their cats watse into their letterbox. I like this idea but it might be federal offence

I would smear it on there door and write with it saying to control your cats

also cats hate water some how hook a motion sensor up to a sprinkler and when it gets triped the cat will get sprayed with water and hopefully will not come back

Orville wrote:

BTW: How would I hook up something like that to an LOR Controller? That would be a good use for one of my controllers! :) And can a CTB16PC be set up in this manner?

You need advanced licence for the software

create a sequence with a channel on 100% maby a 3 min sequence

on the show editor two ways to do it simple way add the sequence to the animation area and hit the options button the top and select show on interactive trigger and just set it for the proper unit and channel the other way is to put it under the interactive show area

hook the motion detector up to your input and the solenoid up to the channle output

T110431 wrote:

Orville wrote:
BTW: How would I hook up something like that to an LOR Controller? That would be a good use for one of my controllers! :) And can a CTB16PC be set up in this manner?

You need advanced licence for the software

create a sequence with a channel on 100% maby a 3 min sequence

on the show editor two ways to do it simple way add the sequence to the animation area and hit the options button the top and select show on interactive trigger and just set it for the proper unit and channel the other way is to put it under the interactive show area

hook the motion detector up to your input and the solenoid up to the channle output

I'm sure that the mailman will love it too. :?

Guest Don Gillespie

Orv the only solution to this problem that is safe for everyone, no cats harmed no mailmen getting wet, no radiators getting drained is for you to stand in the garden and when the cats come all you have to do is go shooooooooo shooooooooooooo that should take care of your problem, but remember when you say shooooooooo shoooooooooooo say it load and mean it or the cats will just disrespect you and come back.

glad I could help with the problem, and I wish you happy shooooooooooooooooing

Don Gillespie wrote:

but remember when you say shooooooooo shoooooooooooo say it load and mean it or I will just disrespect you and come back.

ahhh...so I didn't shooo you loud enough, huh Don?? :)

Orville

Your training program must not be working!! I don't know how closely a squirrel is related to a cat if at all LOL. When I read your post it made me think of this video and the training of the squirrel.

Now if a pesky old squirrel can be trained to do this, surely you can train them ol cats to use the neighbors flower garden.

Wayne

Hmm, all this new fangled hi tech stuff. Old low tech worked for flies, maybe a sheet of super sticky fly paper attached to a board....cat walks in....pick up flypaper board with cat attached and place on owner's doorstep...instant cat gnome.

FOund this on a website somewhere...

"Cat repellent plants like Coleus canina, known by most as Scaredy Cat, are another natural option you might have for getting rid of cats. The plant itself may be used as a barrier for gardens or other areas of your lawn, producing a foul smell that cats simply hate once they touch it. " :)

well cats hate bleach, pour into milk cartons just a small amount, poke holes in carton to let fumes out place several around of these and keep them filled with bleach and soon they will learn to avoid your place then you wount need the containers any more

How about if you trap them, skin and dress them, and then invite the new neighbors over for a barbeque?

George Simmons wrote:

How about if you trap them, skin and dress them, and then invite the new neighbors over for a barbeque?
+1 :)

yummy!!!!

Don't forget the Armadillo Appetizers!!!

A friend of mine once had a bumper sticker that read "I love cats, they taste just like chicken"

George Simmons wrote:

and no need to take any leftovers home to the pets...

Well, in a way I guess the pets are going home...as leftovers. :shock: