Light-O-Rama Forums

Any suggestions on keeping nuisance cats out?

Guest guest

Okay, I have a cat myself, but he doesn't wander the neighborhood aimlessly all night, he only goes out under supreme supervision and is never 2-4 feet from me at all times.

However, we are having a problem with nuisance neighborhood cats, both feral and pets, entering our flower/pond garden area and using it as their dang litterbox, destroying flowers in the process, and I am now getting sick and tired of it. I've put far too much time and effort into this area for these dang cats to just come in and destroy it.

As much as I love cats myself, these cats are making me want to do unspeakable things to them, like get a pellet gun and pop them in their butt! Or worse, something that could be completely detrimental to their well being, but I DO NOT WANT, and WILL NOT, go that route.

I just need some ideas on what I can do, or use to keep them out of this area completely that is humane, but will want them to stay out and clear of this area.

I can't put up a larger fence {as much as I'd like too!} except for the decorative fencing {1'-2' tall only allowed} used around the garden/pond area, which unfortunately these vermin cats can just hop over.

I'm at my wits end on what to do about these dang cats, so any humane suggestions that I can use, short off running a sprinkler all night, to keep them out of the area would be very much appreciated.

This area will also be serving as an area for my Halloween and Christmas decor and I need to find a way to break these nuisance cats from continuing to come into the area. I don't need to find light strings torn up or anything else knocked over or broken because of these nuisance cats in the neighborhood.

They have already pulled down and knocked a white LED light string I have outlining the pond INTO the pond itself and causing the internal GFCI the outside outlet is wired to to trip off, leaving us in the dark a few times by the string being knocked into the water and causing the GFCI to trip.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• George Simmons

• jimswinder

• Surfing4Dough

• edvas69

Cats that have pet status is one thing, strays are fair game! Catnip in a live trap may work.

scubado wrote:

Cats that have pet status is one thing, strays are fair game! Catnip in a live trap may work.

Problem is I don't really know which ones are pets, and which ones aren't. None of them have collars on that I have seen. So in that respect they could all be considered strays as far as I am concerned!

Our community office has told people NOT to feed ANY of these darn cats, but they keep doing it, one old lady says she just can't let the cats starve, but she's creating more havoc by feeding these vermin than if she let them leave and find food elsewhere!

We're having a community meeting about this next Friday 4/13. And I'm NOT the only one complaining about these nuisance cats, seems several of my neighbors are also complaining about them destroying their gardens and flowers as well.

May have to contact animal control and see if they will supply us with any live traps and come get these darn cats out of the neighborhood once they're caught!

The problem is not the cat but the cat owner, as you said yourself you supervise your cats outdoor adventures. I would find out whos cat it is that has been destroying your garden and kindly warning the owners of the damage it is creating, if they dont do anything about it then either take legal action or start collecting the animals feces and dumping it in their letterbox, make sure it smears all over the inside. im sure they will confront you and then suggest if they manage their cat then you will stop delivering their cats watse into their letterbox.
if its a feral then it needs to be exterminated as its causing a lot more damage to the native animals then you would imagine. See if your local government can provide traps if their is a feral cat problem in your area, otherwise deal with the owners as its their responsability if they are caught they should be microchipped, if they are not microchipped then they can be considered feral

just a suggestion, but im with you, unmanaged animals that pester other neighbours need to be dealt with.

I'm afraid I can be of no help to you other than throwing fuel on the fire. I neither like nor respect any cat that isn't big enough to eat me, so my mind tends to embrace the dark side. If you think that anything short of impenetrable fencing is going to "break" those cats from visiting, I fear, that about cats, you have much to learn young Patawan...

:)scubado wrote:

BTW, ferel cats do have nine lives, I've tried to put a few down and it's not easy!

Well I do know one way that would wipe them out {cause death} within 30 minutes or less, it's a product used in your automobile.

It will absolutely cause permanent and fatal renal/kidney failure, and then death within 30 minutes, and once consumed, there isn't much hope in saving the animal.

All I'd have to do is add this stuff to my pond they drink out of. But I absolutely won't go there, no matter how tempting and annoying these cats are. I don't want to destroy or kill them, just get them to move on elsewhere. Plus it would also be detrimental to other wildlife, so definitely do not want to go there.

But those 9 lives would all be up in about 30 minutes, maybe less, if they drank this stuff.

And I'm not saying what it is.

Don't want to give anyone any ideas that could get them into some real hot water.

You could try using crushed red chili pepper flakes. I sprinkle them liberally in the garden to discourage the squirrels from digging. It is similiar in color to the mulch and is only visible up close. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long and has to be reapplied after watering or rain. I buy the bulk size from Costco and keep it with my gardening supplies.
Rich

George Simmons wrote:

I'm afraid I can be of no help to you other than throwing fuel on the fire. I neither like nor respect any cat that isn't big enough to eat me, so my mind tends to embrace the dark side. If you think that anything short of impenetrable fencing is going to "break" those cats from visiting, I fear, that about cats, you have much to learn young Patawan...

I hear ya George. :D

However, if I could put up a larger fence and have the tops set at a 45 degree angle facing outward, this, beleive it or not, WOULD prevent the cats from entering the Garden area. If I could add these 45 degree angles to the 1'-2' tall fencing around the perimeter of the garden and close off any entranceways, I could keep them out.

Already tried discussing this route, but community management says I have to find a more suitable and asthetic way of keeping the darn cats out of the area, as they feel the 45 degree option would not conform to the community standards.

Rich wrote:

You could try using crushed red chili pepper flakes. I sprinkle them liberally in the garden to discourage the squirrels from digging. It is similiar in color to the mulch and is only visible up close. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long and has to be reapplied after watering or rain. I buy the bulk size from Costco and keep it with my gardening supplies.
Rich

Thanks Rich,

May have to try that option and see how it works. I'd be reapplying daily as the garden is new and I usually water it twice a day for the next 2 weeks or so until everything gets established, but with these vermin cats, that's going to be a challenge!

Wonder if Jalapeno peppers would work? Those things are pretty darn hot too!

My cat doesn't go in the area, so I don't have to worry about him getting into that stuff. LOL

You don't say what sex cat you have...if it is female maybe SHE is attracting the other cats because she is in heat....

John Slade wrote:

A little on the pricey side but there may be a cheaper version... for the "humane route" http://www.amazon.com/Havahart-5265-Detector-Sprinkler-Repellent/dp/B000BO71NY

Now that would work great John! Only turns on when an animal comes into proximity, sure help save the water.

I'd just have to remember that myself when I go outside in the early evening or early {late night} hours to sit by the garden and pond to relax and have coffee.

Be my luck I'll forget, walk into the area and get sprayed myself!:shock: ROFL

jimswinder wrote:

You don't say what sex cat you have...if it is female maybe SHE is attracting the other cats because she is in heat....

Could have sworn I had said "He" somewhere. But if not, my cats a male and he's been neutered since the age of 8 weeks old, so he doesn't shoot anything but blanks :shock: and has no real sex drive at all. Poor kitty.:D LOL

EDIT: yep, I did. First statement in the very first post: "Okay, I have a cat myself, but he doesn't wander the neighborhood aimlessly all night, he only goes out under supreme supervision and is never 2-4 feet from me at all times."

How'd you miss that Jim? Need some new reading glasses?:)

Hmm, maybe this is why Jim's trees fall off the roof?:shock:

Orville wrote:

jimswinder wrote:

Could have sworn I had said "He" somewhere.

How'd you miss that Jim? Need some new reading glasses?:D
LOL...and I read it TWICE looking for it!!!

Okay..maybe HE is in heat!! Takes after his master... :shock:

We have had some success with moth balls, incorporated into the mulch. Our area is much smaller than yours though.

Another option is to repurpose your LOR controller and use the input to trigger a solenoid to make a sprinkler come on for a couple of minutes. The cats will eventually get the meassage. just hook up a simple motion detector for the input

And yes glycol used in radiators is a great killer of animals.

edvas69 wrote:

Another option is to repurpose your LOR controller and use the input to trigger a solenoid to make a sprinkler come on for a couple of minutes. The cats will eventually get the meassage. just hook up a simple motion detector for the input

And yes glycol used in radiators is a great killer of animals.

That's why when I had my coolant changed I insisted on a NON-GLYCOL based coolant in my vehicle. If it wasn't animal friendly I didn't want it in my vehicles!

BTW: How would I hook up something like that to an LOR Controller? That would be a good use for one of my controllers! :) And can a CTB16PC be set up in this manner?

edvas69 wrote:

And yes glycol used in radiators...

It's been two years since I've had cords chewed.

Orv - What kinds of animals in FL get into auto cooling systems?