Light-O-Rama Forums

i am clueless

jimmy lorrain

i cant make it do anything. it works in the test mode.but i cant figure out how to make it play. isnt there pre made sequences that came with it ?? and how do i program it to play to my choice of music ??

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimmy lorrain

• Max-Paul

• shfr26

• scubado

ok i finally got it downloaded. i can run the test so i know my lights work... but what next..... id like to know how to start making my own shows to my music?? i need the kindergarden version please.. and if it will make the prosses easier i can give you my phone number , ok???

kindergarten version? Sorry, this isnt the kiddie pool. download the manual, read it.

Actually, I have to ask, what gave you the idea to start with LOR? Scooby nailed it.. this is NOT a Plug-an'-Play hobby.. there is no "plug in your lights and get millions of instant fans". It's 4-10 HOURS of sitting in front of the computer to make ONE MINUTE of blinking lights.

Jimmy,

Open the Sequence Editor, Select "New" and go for the musical sequence option. You've now got your music selected. All you need to do is set up the channels, and program the events.

There is a learning curve. Take your time and work your way through it. It'll come to you.

How familiar are you with computers and working with electrical? This hobby requires some knowledge and experience to do a good display. I'm not trying to step on your toes, just making sure you are getting into this hobby with both eyes wide open. This hobby can get expensive and addictive, if you feel you might be in over your head, now's a good time to jump ship. If you decide to stay with it, welcome aboard, we love to help.

I think people think this is just something you take out of the package, buy or get some sequences and it will just work. They really don't understand they have to put something of themselves into the project.

I agree with putting some of yourself in your shows. It took me til my second year to get to where i wanted to be my 1st year. There is always something new to learn and figure out. If this were plug and play then everyone would be doing it and then it would be a fad and not addicting. I love this addiction and my kids love it too.
Put the time in and read up. Everyone on here is willing to help if your willing to put forth the effort. I hate reading but read up alot. and after getting frustrated i read the manual again and again and again.
So in closing put forth the effort...other will help...read read and read again. The end result is why we put up with banging our heads against the wall. The end result is well worth it. Then the addiction really begins. Because there is always something new and exciting all the time.:P

I'm probably gonna get roasted for saying this, but if you want the kindergarden version, i.e. "plug and play", you need a Mr. Christmas with it's canned music that you just plug your lights into.

Now if you really are serious and want to learn and use LOR, it is as the others have said: This IS DEFINITELY NOT plug and play, it takes time, patience(and a lot of it!) and hours, days or months to get it all down, and then LOR will come up with new features and things you can do with it.

This is a NEVER ENDING LEARNING PROCESS, and if you aren't willing to read the manuals, read through the forums and search them for answers, you definitely are in the wrong hobby.

This hobby requires you to have some inkling of electrical knowledge and computer skills to accomplish a good display.

I have only been doing this for 2 years and I AM STILL LEARNING, again, it is a NEVER ENDING LEARNING PROCESS, but you have to be willing to put forth a lot of your time, your own effort and some of yourself into it to get the most out of it.

So there is no kindergarden version here.

Kindergardeners don't play with electricity or electric lights, this is more along Jr. High to Sr. High school and then even possibly into some college and reading.

LOTS OF READING on your own to know what you're doing without creating issues that could be harmful to your health(death by electrocution), or burning your house and/or your neighbors house(s) down by placing too much load on your controllers, and not following power requirments per controller.

Like stated, I've been doing this for 2 years and now going into my 3rd, there is no easy way here, again, it takes patience, time and dedication with a lot of reading to get the most and best use out of all the LOR products and software.

If you decide to continue, good luck, these forums are full of information from a lot of the experts that have been doing this for many years.

Most here will be more than glad to help, that is providing you at least try and do some research on your own first. Then ask questions if you don't understand something in the manuals, or from a thread(s) you may read here on the forums.

We're always willing to help those that at least try and help themselves.

Just my .50¢ worth.

Orville wrote:

I'm probably gonna get roasted for saying this, but if you want the kindergarden version, i.e. "plug and play", you need a Mr. Christmas with it's canned music that you just plug your lights into.

Now if you really are serious and want to learn and use LOR, it is as the others have said: This IS DEFINITELY NOT plug and play, it takes time, patience(and a lot of it!) and hours, days or months to get it all down, and then LOR will come up with new features and things you can do with it.

This is a NEVER ENDING LEARNING PROCESS, and if you aren't willing to read the manuals, read through the forums and search them for answers, you definitely are in the wrong hobby.

This hobby requires you to have some inkling of electrical knowledge and computer skills to accomplish a good display.

I have only been doing this for 2 years and I AM STILL LEARNING, again, it is a NEVER ENDING LEARNING PROCESS, but you have to be willing to put forth a lot of your time, your own effort and some of yourself into it to get the most out of it.

So there is no kindergarden version here.

Kindergardeners don't play with electricity or electric lights, this is more along Jr. High to Sr. High school and then even possibly into some college and reading.

LOTS OF READING on your own to know what you're doing without creating issues that could be harmful to your health(death by electrocution), or burning your house and/or your neighbors house(s) down by placing too much load on your controllers,  and not following power requirments per controller.

Like stated, I've been doing this for 2 years and now going into my 3rd, there is no easy way here, again, it takes patience, time and dedication with a lot of reading to get the most and best use out of all the LOR products and software.

If you decide to continue, good luck, these forums are full of information from a lot of the experts that have been doing this for many years.

Most here will be more than glad to help, that is providing you at least try and do some research on your own first. Then ask questions if you don't understand something in the manuals, or from a thread(s) you may read here on the forums.

We're always willing to help those that at least try and help themselves.

Just my .50¢ worth.

Where's the LIKE button when you need it?

No offense Jim. But you did make it sound like you haven't read any of the help files and that you thought this was plug and play.

If you're like me and don't like to read.
Click on forums, the click the recent button. There are video's right at the top, that will show you how to do it. They show you how to get started.

Folks here are always willing to help. But you have to make some effort.

hey every one, as i said im clueless. i had no idea there was a help file or anything. im not clueless any more and im readin it. ill probably havt to read it quite a few times to get it. thanks to you all tho !!

Jimmy,
You got to understand. We just went through a large influx of newbies. And it started in Oct. When we all are trying to get our shows on-line just after Thanksgiving. So, we are all just a bit raw from all of the Johnny come latelys with their persistent questions. Many that could be answered by searching or reading the manual. So, nothing personal just a bit of tired and sore old timers here, Me included.

One thing that helps is if we are told that an effort was taken by the newbie to find the answer before asking.

If someone gives you a roasted chipmunk today, you'll be just as helpless tomorrow when you get hungry again.

If someone teaches you how to catch and roast your own chipmunk, you'll never go hungry again.

jimmy lorrain wrote:

hey every one, as i said im clueless. i had no idea there was a help file or anything. im not clueless any more and im readin it. ill probably havt to read it quite a few times to get it. thanks to you all tho !!

Don't feel alone there Jimmy. I wasn't aware of the help file in the LOR software either and I was trying to figure out some things, and when I asked, I did feel somewhat idiotic NOT finding the help files on my own. And I've been working with computers for years and somehow, I even missed the help files.

Why'd I feel like an idiot? Because they were right there in front of me, but even so, it just seems that I kept overlooking them!

And believe me, they are a fantastic resource if you get stuck somewhere.

But even as good as they are, sometimes you may not quite get or grasp what it is telling you, that's when it's time to ask the folks here on the forum for help.

Believe me, we are all eager and willing to help here if you truly get stuck on something and can't quite grasp it, but knowing you tried to read the help files and manuals gives us the information to know you tried it on your own, but somehow still didn't quite get it.

That's when everyone here that has experience with your particular question will guide you through the process, step by step if neccessary.

So you're off on the right track!

Welcome to this illness there is absolutely no cure for! LOL

It's one we've all succumbed to here on the forums called "animated synchronized musical holiday lighting", or just "LOR", if you prefer. Once you start you just can't stop! LOL

George Simmons wrote:

If someone gives you a roasted chipmunk today, you'll be just as helpless tomorrow when you get hungry again.

If someone teaches you how to catch and roast your own chipmunk, you'll never go hungry again.

I kind of remember that analogy applied to fish/fishing somewhere; but hey, I guess it works for chipmunks, too---that is if you eat them!

CKSedg wrote:

I kind of remember that analogy applied to fish/fishing somewhere; but hey, I guess it works for chipmunks, too---that is if you eat them!

I guess maybe I've been listening to too much Bob Rivers lately... scrounging ideas for the 2012 playlist.