Light-O-Rama Forums

Trouble with songs not playing in Show

Champion Sound Entertainment

Don wrote:

ChuckHutchings wrote:
You shows still won't work if you copy them.

I guess I'm downloading a different version of LOR than everyone else. I drag/drop from my sequencing machine to the show machine all the time.

No issues. Why? Same directory on each.

I mean they won't work if you copy from a machine with a different directory structure.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Don

• Champion Sound Entertainment

• ChuckHutchings

• TJ Hvasta

Top Posters In This Topic

ChuckHutchings wrote:

I mean they won't work if you copy from a machine with a different directory structure.

Ah. Yes, that is correct.

However, I've got the same directory structure on each machine I work with. (Personal and commercial.) XP/Vista/W7 you name it, directories are the same.

Make the directories the same, and you'll have no issues with copying to a new machine.

Don wrote:

ChuckHutchings wrote:

Ah. Yes, that is correct.

However, I've got the same directory structure on each machine I work with. (Personal and commercial.) XP/Vista/W7 you name it, directories are the same.

Make the directories the same, and you'll have no issues with copying to a new machine.

99%* of the people are using the default directories. That's my point.

*Not meant to be a factual statement.

ChuckHutchings wrote:

99%* of the people are using the default directories. That's my point.

*Not meant to be a factual statement.

Then those 99%* (or at least the ones who read this thread) will have learned something new tonight.

Good times....

I'm not a computer "guy" but shouldn't the LOR installer make the default directories the same on all machines regardless of what the OS is? It would make things so much simpler....

Reading this thread, changing the directory structure is something that I clearly need to do... I'm not exactly sure how to do what you describe but really need to figure it out...

Tim Herberger wrote:

I'm not a computer "guy" but shouldn't the LOR installer make the default directories the same on all machines regardless of what the OS is? It would make things so much simpler....

Reading this thread, changing the directory structure is something that I clearly need to do... I'm not exactly sure how to do what you describe but really need to figure it out...

Well, they are the same ... but they are not.

Different versions of Windows have different locations for the "My Documents" directory. Since (if memory serves) this is the default location for the LOR Data directory, we now have different directories. Not because of something LOR did, but because of how Windows operates. (I'm not a programmer, but I'm theorizing here based on what I've seen from this, and other programs.)

Look in your Program Files folder. (If you are on a 64bit OS, it will be "Program Files (x86)") Look for the LORPost.exe (or LORPost application) and run that. This is the program that runs right after you start LOR for the first time. You can then change the directory to something you choose.

Well I had a few members send me sequences and I downloaded a few from websites. I had to buy and download the music from iTunes to run with the sequences. Once i fixed the audio directory they would play in the sequencer - but they arent playing now.

Do i have my files in the wrong directory?

I have all my sequences in Lightorama > sequences - all my audio files in lightorama > audio, but the show is in the lightorama folder itself...

Should I move the show somewhere else? or the sequences? or audio files? Not quite sure what to do here, or where to look in the manual...

Do they still play in the sequencer? Open them up and make sure. Based on the messages you were getting in the verifier, I have my doubts.

Once you have them working, don't move the files. If you do, you will encounter the same problems.

And, before you enable the shows, run the verifier one more time.

I checked them all in the sequencer and they all run no problem. So i tried to create a new show and schedule the new show and it still is inly playing 3 songs. So i waited to see if maybe it was on random even though i set a list for it to play through but it just repeats the same 3 in order

I have issues with one of my pc's when I transfer files from my main sequencing pc over to it I receive the same error. My solution was to simply open each sequence after it has been moved to the show pc in the sequence editor. Add the media file and hit save on the show pc and all plays fine from that point forward.

The 2 computers do not have the same file structure so I am assuming when LOR is searching for the file structure that was created by the first pc that I created the sequence on it's simply not matching up and I receive the error. So again I just open each sequence on the show pc, pair the media file to it and resave on the show pc. That should update the file structure of each sequence to match the file structure of the new pc. Has worked for me on all versions of windows and takes like 2 mins to do for my 12 sequences.

Oh and make sure once you have resaved each sequence on the show computer you go back into the show builder and rebuild your show. I'm sure there is a better way to fix this problem I'm just telling you what has worked for me personally anytime I have had issues with sequences not playing correctly when moved around from pc to pc.

Choose one of the sequences that plays in the sequence editor but not in the show. Make a simple change like turn a cell on then off again, and save the sequence. Now see if it runs in the show. If not, what did the status window tell you?

Champion Sound Entertainment wrote:

I checked them all in the sequencer and they all run no problem. So i tried to create a new show and schedule the new show and it still is inly playing 3 songs. So i waited to see if maybe it was on random even though i set a list for it to play through but it just repeats the same 3 in order

Wanted to clarify that you did all these steps on the computer you use to run your show.

I'm not familiar with 3.1.4, but that "channel is missing settings" error used to do very bad things. You might want to go into the sequence, open Tools / Channel Property Grid and look at the Beat channel. Try changing the device type to "(no device type selected)".

Another troubleshooting idea would be to try to run this new show using the "Show on Demand" option (it's on the same system tray menu that you enable and disable shows from). And like ainsworth suggested keep checking what the status window says.

At this point, I'd probably be rebooting the PC too (just to make sure you're not out of resources and LOR hasn't "cashed" any old information on you).

Hopefully this wasn't too long for you to read :)

Champ.

Delete your shows from the computer (the .LMS files) and the schedule files (the weeksched.lsc and yearsched.lsc) and rebuild everything.

Whatever you think your running, isn't running. Rebuilding them will let you start over from scratch.

joneslights wrote:

ChuckHutchings wrote:
Did you create your sequences on one computer and copy them to the show computer? That trick NEVER works! :)

Works for me too. But then I have the LOR directory structure setup EXACTLY the same on both machines.

I use three machines actually, Lappy, sequencing computer and my show computer. My main two are the sequencing and show computers.

Paul Harvey here - The other day I read a confusing thread on saving files in the LOR file structure - let me share with you what has DEFINITELY worked for me.

Scenario - One Windows 7 dedicated show computer - One Windows 7 workstation that most ALL sequences are written and converted on - One Windows XP laptop that goes with me when I travel so I can sequence - One Windows XP workstation in my shop where I test things.

All computers have the SAME version of LOR - but none of them have the same file structure (well the 2 XP boxes may, I think). I have a dedicated file share on my server on my network for LOR BUT YOU DON'T NEED A SERVER FOR THIS - a simple shared folder or external drive or even a very large thumb drive will work. For the sake of this explination I will call this the "share" folder - but like I just said, it could be a share on a workstation, server, external usb drive, or a large thumb drive - we just want to call it "SHARE".

In my "share" folder I created a folder for 2011 sequences and audio files. I never change the names of my audio files. I do frequently save backups named sequentially of my sequences as I create them - (songname_11_201, then songname_11_202, etc - 11 donating the season 2011) I like to be able to go back if the display looks weird. Save the file in your workstation as your working.

Now make a COPY of the 2 or 3 files that are in that file structure with the name of the sequence you just saved, placing them in your "share" SEQUENCES folder. Go to your show computer - navigate to the "share" folder and copy those same files from there to where your files are saved on the show computer. Also copy the audio file onto your show computer in its file structure. At this point your done working in the "share" folder.

OK - HERE is what makes it ALL work; on the show computer OPEN the sequence in the SEQUENCE EDITOR you will get an error saying it cant find the media file - click OK. Click on EDIT - MEDIA FILE - then find your media file ON THAT computer and open it. Things should look normal. SAVE THE FILE !

Thats it! If you want to test your file now would be a good time. Build your show from that point and your golden.

IN A NUTSHELL (ooo sounds like some people i know, nutshells - LOL) as long as you place the file(s) in the LOR file(s) structure on that show machine and SAVE them, your golden.

Don't try and over think this. I explained a lot here in hopes that it is clear, actually its quite simple - the most important part is listed in the nutshell statement.

this does work for me, your mileage may varry, I hope it works for you.

Paul Harvey -- good day !

harrison0550 wrote:

I have issues with one of my pc's when I transfer files from my main sequencing pc over to it I receive the same error. My solution was to simply open each sequence after it has been moved to the show pc in the sequence editor. Add the media file and hit save on the show pc and all plays fine from that point forward.

The 2 computers do not have the same file structure so I am assuming when LOR is searching for the file structure that was created by the first pc that I created the sequence on it's simply not matching up and I receive the error. So again I just open each sequence on the show pc, pair the media file to it and resave on the show pc. That should update the file structure of each sequence to match the file structure of the new pc. Has worked for me on all versions of windows and takes like 2 mins to do for my 12 sequences.

Oh and make sure once you have resaved each sequence on the show computer you go back into the show builder and rebuild your show. I'm sure there is a better way to fix this problem I'm just telling you what has worked for me personally anytime I have had issues with sequences not playing correctly when moved around from pc to pc.

Both my laptop and desktop run Vista. If I edit a sequence on one and then transfer it to the other, I have to tell it where the mp3 file is located each time. I thought that was normal, even though they are in the default directory on both computers. After telling it which directory to find it, I have to save it, or it won't run.

If I'm reading this right, that's not normal operation?

Champ,

Something else I just noticed. It looks like only one song is being checked when the verifier is run. Since the verifier checks anything that is loaded into a show (and then scheduled to run) the other songs you are talking about to not appear to be loaded into a show and/or scheduled.

Did I miss something in the OP.. I think I saw the audio wasnt re-saved within the sequence, in the default locations.. (the error msg).. If the sequences are saved in the parent LOR directory, (and not in lor/sequences) the SSB wont find them, as you cant re-direct focus anywhere else but lor/sequences sub-directory.. so yeah, they'll play in Seq editor, but the Show wont -ever- find them..