• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• JBullard

• -klb-

• George Simmons

wbottomley wrote:

Hell.... they can't read now. I don't think they would read that.

LOL!! Too often it feels like they only read what fits their preconcieved notion of how it works.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Don wrote:
-klb- wrote:
Jeff Millard wrote:
I feel your pain William. I've clicked on the ignore button, but people keep quoting those I've ignored. Then I ignore those people and others quote them. So I ignore them and... well, let me put it this way... I can read your posts, Evan's, George's, John's, and Don Teague's... so could the 5 of you please not quote anyone lest I end up really lonely.

...and yes, if you're someone who annoys me I talk about you in PM with other people. :cool: That's life, get over it.

Jeff

First, my apologies to Don for saying this, but I think he will understand. Who the heck did I quote to wind up on Jeff's ignore list, while Don is still in the clear?

No apology needed my friend. Sometimes I wonder why people listen to me as well. :)

Well, now I'm down to four people not in the ignore list... LOL!

Jeff

PS, I put Don up to that quote Kevin... :cool:

The Don consortium (Canadian, Texan, Floridian) is now completely confused...or at least the Floridian piece...:shock:

And at least one is looking for his frickin' wire cutters still...

JBullard wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
JBullard wrote:
DVM
Cable Tester
Kill-O-Watt
Non contact style voltage presence tester (one that beeps)

these are the minimum in my opinion

Light keeper pro

Forgot about the LKP. Still have one in the bottom of a box some where, don't use it, since I've been LEDs for years.
agree re the LKP..I have yet to use it to any great extent. I had an icicle light set giving me problems this morning, and I t'shot it by simply swapping bulbs. Someday...I'll understand how those in other countries wire their light strings...:)

My thought would be...DVM...cable tester...Kill-o-watt...and hand tools. Part is for t'shooting, part is for just the basics of planning your design.

But what you can't change is DNA..the mindset that you can do a display like the masters (be it Cracker's Halloween extravaganza, or one of the many Christmas masters...) just by ordering some equipment and flipping a switch. It takes some time and dedication.

That kind of person you can give them all the tools, but they're not really interested in using them...they want it easy.

You have to want to learn a few things behind how it all works...i.e., electricity 101, and beyond. You don't have to be a licensed master electrican, but geez, learn the basics..or be willing to.

Orville wrote:

Hmmm, Williams comment about the voltmeter got me to thinking, has anyone ever posted a list of ALL the tools in one thread list that we all should have that are in this hobby?

I know there are a couple I still need to acquire and intend on doing so, but I was thinking that one of the pros here that has been doing this should possibly make a thread in the "Newbies" section of all those tools needed to test and troubleshoot their controllers, cat5 cables and the like.

I know I don't have a full list, but I do own a few of them because I was in the electrical/electronics industry for many years, but know I still don't have everything that a lot of folks use to test out things.

So how about one of our resident experts just make a list of tools a newbie (or others) should have in their LOR arsenal, doesn't have to be specific as to name-brand, just what it is, what it does, and possibly a description of why you should have it.

Then those of us serious about this could work on acquiring those tools we may be missing from our toolbox.

Just a thought. And yes, I know, some may never understand the reasoning and still ignore getting an item to troubleshoot their LOR equipment, there just isn't any way to help those folks, but for the rest of us that do, that tool list would be a great help.
Great suggestion Orville, glad to see you back.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

caniac wrote:
Learned a long time ago that their are jerks everywhere (some even wear skirts) and you just have to ignore them.

Now that is rude!
11516.jpg

:P

He's just mad that I hit the ignore button on him first. Funny thing is that my skin must be thicker than most. Cause Mr Caniac is the ONLY person on my ignore list.

And I would not call it rude. It's more like childish or juvenile. Attacking someones look instead of ones thoughts is the sign of someone who is trying to deflect their lack of a sound argument or the ability to articulate their case. In other words, they lost and trying to make like a cat and cover their [Foul Language Used].

wbottomley wrote:

William,

This is so true!

95% of all the answers I provide, I research the answer first by reading the controller manual or opening the HELP file in the software.

The information is there, they just won't, or can't, read it.

The other 5% I just reread a previous post and copy the answer.

DonFL wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
Don wrote:
-klb- wrote:
Jeff Millard wrote:
I feel your pain William. I've clicked on the ignore button, but people keep quoting those I've ignored. Then I ignore those people and others quote them. So I ignore them and... well, let me put it this way... I can read your posts, Evan's, George's, John's, and Don Teague's... so could the 5 of you please not quote anyone lest I end up really lonely.

...and yes, if you're someone who annoys me I talk about you in PM with other people. :cool: That's life, get over it.

Jeff

First, my apologies to Don for saying this, but I think he will understand. Who the heck did I quote to wind up on Jeff's ignore list, while Don is still in the clear?

No apology needed my friend. Sometimes I wonder why people listen to me as well. :D

Jeff

The Don consortium (Canadian, Texan, Floridian) is now completely confused...or at least the Floridian piece...:shock:

Don't worry about it.. From Jeff's perspective, this forum just went from 6 total members to 5.. :] And apparently quoting me is enough to get you on Jeff's ignore list.:shock:

And I have no clue how many wire cutters I'm missing now. I've bought probably well over 20 to put in the tool bag for the volunteers. I don't want to know how many are still left.

P.S. I'm surprised they didn't leave me twisting in the wind longer. :)

P.P.S. I wonder if we can get another Kevin pulled into this...

JBullard wrote:

wbottomley wrote:

William,

This is so true!

95% of all the answers I provide, I research the answer first by reading the controller manual or opening the HELP file in the software.

I agree--most of the answers are already all here. I can maybe see the argument for a better forum search function, since there may be a small percentage of these newbies that are being unfairly blamed since they may have legitimately tried searching. It should be stated often that google should be used instead--just include "lightorama.com" in your google search, and 90% of the time you will easily find what you are looking for. Maybe if that routinely was our first response to the "lazy newbies" maybe some (and others that follow) will start catching on and at least try that first. Don't get me wrong...there will always be a large number that will be selfish, lazy, entitled, etc. no matter what we do (the growing popularity of this mentality in our country has a lot to do with why we are in the shape we are in these past few years--finally catching up to us). From what I have seen, a lot of those types of newbies don't last very long...no matter how much they are helped (spoon-fed) here in the forums, most aren't willing to continue to put in the time and effort that this hobby requires regardless. So you endure them for the season, and they don't come back usually. But we need the antics of those like William to help keep it enjoyable during those parts of the season.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

But we need the antics of those like William to help keep it enjoyable during those parts of the season.

+1

Yeah, Bill's really useful this time of year. But after lighting season is over we've got troll season pretty well covered with Jeff on patrol, so Bill can take a break then and recharge for the new year.

For google, try site:forums.lightorama.com as this is nearly a requirement to only return results from that URL, or a sponsored link that otherwise matches. This gets rid of all the stale forum URL matches.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

JBullard wrote:
wbottomley wrote:

William,

This is so true!

I agree--most of the answers are already all here.  I can maybe see the argument for a better forum search function, since there may be a small percentage of these newbies that are being unfairly blamed since they may have legitimately tried searching.  It should be stated often that google should be used instead--just include "lightorama.com" in your google search, and 90% of the time you will easily find what you are looking for.  Maybe if that routinely was our first response to the "lazy newbies" maybe some (and others that follow) will start catching on and at least try that first.  Don't get me wrong...there will always be a large number that will be selfish, lazy, entitled, etc. no matter what we do (the growing popularity of this mentality in our country has a lot to do with why we are in the shape we are in these past few years--finally catching up to us).  From what I have seen, a lot of those types of newbies don't last very long...no matter how much they are helped (spoon-fed) here in the forums, most aren't willing to continue to put in the time and effort that this hobby requires regardless.  So you endure them for the season, and they don't come back usually.   But we need the antics of those like William to help keep it enjoyable during those parts of the season. 

Surfing:

I wasn't talking about searching the forums (although that would help, since we also see the same question asked in 3 successive posts), I was referring to the fact they won't look at the manual that came with their controllers (also available on-line) or the help file in the software. Two resources they already have

hey william, hang in there buddy. i know sometimes this kind of thing can be VERY frustrating. my other hobby is fireworks, and the forums i hang out in for that stuff is the same way come mid to late june.

although I dont post much, i lurk quite often, I help where i can. maybe if i helped more, some of you seasoned guys could get a break!! I will do what I can to help more in the future.

dont quit on us brother, we need the seasoned vets for your vast knowledge and experience!!

-T

Guest Don Gillespie

DonFL wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
Don wrote:
-klb- wrote:
Jeff Millard wrote:

Jeff

No apology needed my friend. Sometimes I wonder why people listen to me as well. :)

Jeff

I know he is not talking about me :) so because I quoted Don from Florida, Don from Texas, and Jeff himself, hmmmmmmmmmmm I wonder if we are the 4 that are left that are not on his ignore list :P Merry Christmas Jeff we still love you.

After spending about a year and a half of reading posts in this forum, having 99% of all my questions answered without even asking them, I have only one question to ask at this time; When are one of you going to buy and send me a controller so that I can get started??? :DB)

Orville wrote:

Hmmm, Williams comment about the voltmeter got me to thinking, has anyone ever posted a list of ALL the tools in one thread list that we all should have that are in this hobby?

I know there are a couple I still need to acquire and intend on doing so, but I was thinking that one of the pros here that has been doing this should possibly make a thread in the "Newbies" section of all those tools needed to test and troubleshoot their controllers, cat5 cables and the like.

I know I don't have a full list, but I do own a few of them because I was in the electrical/electronics industry for many years, but know I still don't have everything that a lot of folks use to test out things.

So how about one of our resident experts just make a list of tools a newbie (or others) should have in their LOR arsenal, doesn't have to be specific as to namebrand, just what it is, what it does, and possibly a description of why you should have it.

Then those of us serious about this could work on acquiring those tools we may be missing from our toolbox.

Just a thought. And yes, I know, some may never understand the reasoning and still ignore getting an item to troubleshoot their LOR equipment, there just isn't any way to help those folks, but for the rest of us that do, that tool list would be a great help.

tools you say how about a light tool box like this one

Attached files 293222=16187-New Image.JPG

Jeff

Jeff, who do you keep talking to? I just see 4 pages of blank messages? ;)

Jeff? Jefffff? Hello.. is there anyone there? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Hmmmm, surprising.. so many members and so many Ignores... LOL.

There have been quite a few replys to posts that I hit the delete key before they'd get me in trouble, like Tom Hanks did in You've Got Mail.. Like you guys, I'm not liking the direction things are going there. I have replied to several "Pleeeeeeze Help Me!!" posts with how to find the info they need. One just kept asking for the answer and I told him the "Give A Man A Fish/Teach A Man To Fish" thing.. he had no idea what I was talking about.. still didnt get it AFTER I explained the parable.. Ya just cant fix stupid, or teach manners, apparently..

I just really hope after all my questions, I've said Thank You like Mom taught me to.

teege

TJ Hvasta wrote:

Jeff

Jeff, who do you keep talking to? I just see 4 pages of blank messages? ;)

Jeff? Jefffff? Hello.. is there anyone there? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Hmmmm, surprising.. so many members and so many Ignores... LOL.

There have been quite a few replys to posts that I hit the delete key before they'd get me in trouble, like Tom Hanks did in You've Got Mail.. Like you guys, I'm not liking the direction things are going there. I have replied to several "Pleeeeeeze Help Me!!" posts with how to find the info they need. One just kept asking for the answer and I told him the "Give A Man A Fish/Teach A Man To Fish" thing.. he had no idea what I was talking about.. still didnt get it AFTER I explained the parable.. Ya just cant fix stupid, or teach manners, apparently..

I just really hope after all my questions, I've said Thank You like Mom taught me to.

teege
I am a computer programmer and you can't program around it either.