Light-O-Rama Forums

Well The Time Has Come, Maybe

Guest Guest

THAT explains why you would not come to my house to fix my problem for me..... :D

You guys rock anyhow Thats all I can say!

BTW it is still snowing and blue sky! Stangest thing I ever saw.

thats Nebraska weather for ya.

PS. now i get the gimme gimme part..>>>I'm a bit slow this morning... well every morning... ok ok ..... I am a Polock!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• JBullard

• -klb-

• George Simmons

Scott T wrote:

Surfing4Dough wrote:
wbottomley wrote:
I'm thinking about sitting in the shadows for a while and taking a year off. I'm really not sure yet... but, the thought is being taken more seriously everyday.

What has me really thinking is, I believe the hobby is being dumb-down. Very few will attempt to troubleshoot, sequence, or try to understand the basic fundamentals of how it all comes together themselves. That's why I'm refraining to answer questions unless I know who you are. I hope this will change because thousands of people that visit my show would be disappointed. This is coming from a six-year LOR user, seven-year animator, and a 20+ year decorator.

Take a moment and try to understand. It only takes a matter of minutes.

Before you go though, can you help me?...I just ordered my first controller today. WooHoo!! NOW WHAT?????? HELP!!!!!! I AM SOOOOOO LOST!!!! I need to have a 50 song show up and running by 5pm tonight--IT IS A MUST!! I assume the controller will ship to me by tonight (it better, or else I might switch to a better company like Mr. Christmas!) Do I need to use some sort of software or something? What about a computer? What type of batteries do I put in the controller to power it? (How cheap is LOR that they don't include the batteries?!?) How does the controller know where to install the lights for me? When does Kia call me to pay me to do a commercial? Do HOA's usually start paying me for making the neighborhood so popular? Who on the forums is usually responsible for going around and videoing everybody's displays--they have to get mine tonight so I can post it on youtube by tomorrow (that way they can show it on Good Morning America Monday). I assume that most of you don't even celebrate Christmas anymore--instead just celebrate December as "Light Up Month." Wbottomly I am asking you specifically these questions since us "pro's" stick together (heck, I have watch Holdman's AND Cracker's videos at least 3 times)...don't want somebody that doesn't know what they are talking about to answer (like Dan or that jimswinder guy).

How come nobody told me this morning when I logged in for the first time that this was going to require this much work...my fingers hurt from typing all this. And why haven't you answered my above questions yet?!? Maybe I should start a few more threads so you see my post.

:D;);)

Now that is funny ! !

yes it is!

BTW I just posted a link to this thread in a new post so it would catch more attention.. ;)

evan.a wrote:

rwertz wrote:
Part of me wants to console William. The other part of me is waiting for the image of freshly caught fish :?

I've chatted and pmed William. there is not thing fishy about what he has said. Plus he not feeling good.

Well I'm sorry to hear that (William), but it's certainly understandable. Just try to keep your feelings about your own display separate from this um… mess, and enjoy the season :)

I know most of you probpaly won't be able to see this because of all of my annoying questions I have asked, but I would like to say thank you to all of the people on this fourm who have helped me get to having blinky lights this year. Even I as a newbie can see where you are coming from, because I truly want to learn, not have it done for me. I have seen the posts on here asking for people to do everything for them and that isn't what I want.

So thank you for helping me and if you can read this I feel honored.

wbottomley wrote:

I'm thinking about sitting in the shadows for a while and taking a year off. I'm really not sure yet... but, the thought is being taken more seriously everyday.

What has me really thinking is, I believe the hobby is being dumb-down. Very few will attempt to troubleshoot, sequence, or try to understand the basic fundamentals of how it all comes together themselves. That's why I'm refraining to answer questions unless I know who you are. I hope this will change because thousands of people that visit my show would be disappointed. This is coming from a six-year LOR user, seven-year animator, and a 20+ year decorator.

I can understand your frustration and sympathize with you, but would also would like to thank you for all the work and answers you have given us over the years.It is maybe better for everyone for you to step back a little and enjoy the fruit of your labor from the inspirations of your displays and work (website)and knowledge and let the others carry the torch for a while.Better to step back and still be involved than get frustrated and leave altogether.

Denis

I know I have been off on the deep end. But I do appreciate seeing a few others have been feeling about the same. Just have a better taste for blood from biting their tongues. Where as I need to aquire the taste for my own blood while biting my tongue (sometimes). I really do like to help trouble shoot. But this new breed that shows up on the 11th hour and expect everyone to drop everything to help them, well I dont know if they all understand we are NOT PAID STAFF. So, go fish!!! Frankly, I think that I will just not answer any questions of anyone who starts as a newbie after say the 1st of Sept of that year. How many new members did we get in just the month of November? Way more than in the past. And I really love the one guy who was above getting a volt meter to trouble shoot his power problem on a few controllers. That is a lost cause and I became scarce. I'll admitt I do go a bit overboard. But then when you have someone tell you that their lights dont work, but the LED is blinking and has been doing this for a few years. Ya just got to give them some crap.

My main goal is to teach them how to fish. There aint no flocking free meal at my table. And if you dont like to fish, then get the flock out of my face. And for any candy ass that is not even in the thread and PM me that you dont like my response. Then hit the ignore button.

The above it not directed to anyone in this thread.
Will, I know that we are not chums, but I hope you keep the lights going for both yourself and for all of the joy that others get from looking at your hard work. Every morning I am blessed with those who choose to leave their lights on @ 4AM. It starts my day off with a smile seeing all of those lights. Just wish more people would leave them on all night to dawn.

If there are any newbies still reading this thread, all we ask is do your homework. There are plenty of recent threads that cover your questions. We love to help, but answering the same questions over and over does get old. This hobby involve electricity, computer skills and fabrication skills plus blood, sweat and time, lots of it. Unless you have experience in this hobby, you're not going to have much of a show. Play, practice and tinker with what you do have started and just start working towards next year's show, you can never start too early.

Nows a good time to start shopping for next year, if you find something you like, buy lots of it so you have enough to work with. If you want your show to look like the 'Pro's' buy quality lights such as from CDI, not Walmart. If you buy the cheap lights you will have extra issues to deal with, such as fades. As far as transmitters, buck up and get an EDM, you won't find any complaints on the forum about them. Yes there are cheaper ones, but you will find many complaints and some praises from those that aren't picky about sound quality, or just don't know what they are missing.

I'm not trying to step on any toes, just going straight to the point. I also want to say Thank you to those that have helped me and for the many laughs.

Merry Christmas everyone

doug petschke wrote:
.....BTW I just posted a link to this thread in a new post so it would catch more attention.. ;)

No, That is Funny!!!

wbottomley wrote:

some of that is just human nature, lots of folks won't take time to read a manual or follow simple steps. Sorry you feel this way but some of this stuff can be overwhelming. I am good at following steps and setting up stuff but sequencing still scares the snot out of me most days (and I won't get into CCR's). Have yet to find a way to get a handle on that. After spending this past year on props, next year will be the "Year of Sequencing" for me in an effort to get a better understanding of it.

caniac wrote:

...sequencing still scares the snot out of me most days

There's no way to get good at it except to do it. You didn't ask, but the biggest piece of advice I would give someone who did ask is:

The moment you stop concerning yourself about what people here will say about your sequencing and start focusing on what people on the street in front of your house will say, that's when it will start being fun. I predict from that point on you'll notice that you're getting better by leaps and bounds. The people on the street are a great audience and a great confidence builder.

George Simmons wrote:

caniac wrote:

There's no way to get good at it except to do it.  You didn't ask, but the biggest piece of advice I would give someone who did ask is: 

The moment you stop concerning yourself about what people here will say about your sequencing and start focusing on what people on the street in front of your house will say, that's when it will start being fun.  I predict from that point on you'll notice that you're getting better by leaps and bounds.  The people on the street are a great audience and a great confidence builder.

Well said George. Sometimes you are your own worst/best critic. It also reminds me of something that happened last night. A friend brought over his whole family for a show and noticed two channels not working and figured it was the rascally rabbit again attacking a different element this time. They loved the show and after they left I gather the stuff needed to make repairs, only to find nothing wrong. I went over to the controller and realized I had unplugged it to make wire repairs, this was before I had put out mothballs. Three days now without signs of the rabbit.

Only you will really know what's right or wrong with your display, so have fun and keep learning and tweaking.

George Simmons wrote:

caniac wrote:

There's no way to get good at it except to do it. You didn't ask, but the biggest piece of advice I would give someone who did ask is:

The moment you stop concerning yourself about what people here will say about your sequencing and start focusing on what people on the street in front of your house will say, that's when it will start being fun. I predict from that point on you'll notice that you're getting better by leaps and bounds. The people on the street are a great audience and a great confidence builder.
for me it isn't that so much as figuring out the tapper wizard and beat wizard then figuring out how and when to do a certain effect. Have ideas in my head but converting it to a sequence has me at a loss.

Case in point, I want to do LFMAO - "Sexy and I know it" as a surprise for me newly single baby bro (an ongoing joke for the two of us since his ex imploded a few months ago). Have pulled the song in and think I got the beat wizard set right but am overwhelmed as to when and where to bring an element in and what effect to use. Still real clumsy with the sequence editor.

Modifying someone else's sequence to fit my display so far hasn't been too bad but doing one from scratch has got me feeling like I am in over my head.

Surfing4Dough wrote:

wbottomley wrote:

Before you go though, can you help me?...I just ordered my first controller today. WooHoo!! NOW WHAT?????? HELP!!!!!! I AM SOOOOOO LOST!!!! I need to have a 50 song show up and running by 5pm tonight--IT IS A MUST!! I assume the controller will ship to me by tonight (it better, or else I might switch to a better company like Mr. Christmas!) Do I need to use some sort of software or something? What about a computer? What type of batteries do I put in the controller to power it? (How cheap is LOR that they don't include the batteries?!?) How does the controller know where to install the lights for me? When does Kia call me to pay me to do a commercial? Do HOA's usually start paying me for making the neighborhood so popular? Who on the forums is usually responsible for going around and videoing everybody's displays--they have to get mine tonight so I can post it on youtube by tomorrow (that way they can show it on Good Morning America Monday). I assume that most of you don't even celebrate Christmas anymore--instead just celebrate December as "Light Up Month." Wbottomly I am asking you specifically these questions since us "pro's" stick together (heck, I have watch Holdman's AND Cracker's videos at least 3 times)...don't want somebody that doesn't know what they are talking about to answer (like Dan or that jimswinder guy).

How come nobody told me this morning when I logged in for the first time that this was going to require this much work...my fingers hurt from typing all this. And why haven't you answered my above questions yet?!? Maybe I should start a few more threads so you see my post.

:P;):P

I knew it would just a matter of time before someone would blame me :P

I thought about talking some tme off or calling it quits last year...and you all talk me out of it (and my wife). Its not that I dont want to do it...its the time it takes and I want to do other things with my family.

If I answered every question that is PM or emailed to me...I would have a full time 3rd job just answering questions (my 1st job pays the bills...2nd job is this hobby). Do like me...delete button is your friend. I'll answer some, but I cant help everyone that ask. 90% of the questions I do get are in the forum and just takes a little time to search for it...so I reply to the 10%.

"When does Kia call me to pay me to do a commercial?" LOL:D:D

Kevin

caniac wrote:

George Simmons wrote:
caniac wrote:

for me it isn't that so much as figuring out the tapper wizard and beat wizard then figuring out how and when to do a certain effect. Have ideas in my head but converting it to a sequence has me at a loss.

Case in point, I want to do LFMAO - "Sexy and I know it" as a surprise for me newly single baby bro (an ongoing joke for the two of us since his ex imploded a few months ago). Have pulled the song in and think I got the beat wizard set right but am overwhelmed as to when and where to bring an element in and what effect to use. Still real clumsy with the sequence editor.

Modifying someone else's sequence to fit my display so far hasn't been too bad but doing one from scratch has got me feeling like I am in over my head.

one thing I did was picked songs I really knew the beat to,that made it soo much easier to get the flow better. don't put so much though into it that it scares you,have fun,nothing you do will be wrong everyone will love the flashing lights.

james campbell wrote:

caniac wrote:
George Simmons wrote:
caniac wrote:

one thing I did was picked songs I really knew the beat to,that made it soo much easier to get the flow better. don't put so much though into it that it scares you,have fun,nothing you do will be wrong everyone will love the flashing lights.
good point, I tend to over analyze things - side effect of my profession.

William- Thanks for putting up with me and my questions. I am having a great first year because of the answers here in the forums. I'm hooked.

Max-Paul wrote:

And I really love the one guy who was above getting a volt meter to trouble shoot his power problem on a few controllers. That is a lost cause and I became scarce. I'll admitt I do go a bit overboard. But then when you have someone tell you that their lights dont work, but the LED is blinking and has been doing this for a few years. Ya just got to give them some crap.

My favorite was the one who is "smarter than the average bear here":shock:

scubado wrote:

If there are any newbies still reading this thread, all we ask is do your homework. There are plenty of recent threads that cover your questions. We love to help, but answering the same questions over and over does get old. This hobby involve electricity, computer skills and fabrication skills plus blood, sweat and time, lots of it. Unless you have experience in this hobby, you're not going to have much of a show. Play, practice and tinker with what you do have started and just start working towards next year's show, you can never start too early.

Nows a good time to start shopping for next year, if you find something you like, buy lots of it so you have enough to work with. If you want your show to look like the 'Pro's' buy quality lights such as from CDI, not Walmart. If you buy the cheap lights you will have extra issues to deal with, such as fades. As far as transmitters, buck up and get an EDM, you won't find any complaints on the forum about them. Yes there are cheaper ones, but you will find many complaints and some praises from those that aren't picky about sound quality, or just don't know what they are missing.

I'm not trying to step on any toes, just going straight to the point. I also want to say Thank you to those that have helped me and for the many laughs.

Merry Christmas everyone

My first year, I spent months reading up first before I even joined. I watched as the rest went down in flames. Took 3 months to get the info I needed to make the purchase. Joined up asked about 4 more questions and bam 32 channels up on the day I wanted and hour I wanted it to start with 0 hiccups. I mean nothing went wrong once it was up. Took me weeks to sequence. For me as a 1st year noob I appreciate those on this forum helping out.

As for cracker that 1-10 that you answer, Im happy to let the other 9 that went unanswered, he answered mine! WOOO