Light-O-Rama Forums

Well The Time Has Come, Maybe

Guest Guest

Jeff Millard wrote:

I feel your pain William. I've clicked on the ignore button, but people keep quoting those I've ignored. Then I ignore those people and others quote them. So I ignore them and... well, let me put it this way... I can read your posts, Evan's, George's, John's, and Don Teague's... so could the 5 of you please not quote anyone lest I end up really lonely.

...and yes, if you're someone who annoys me I talk about you in PM with other people. :cool: That's life, get over it.

Jeff

First, my apologies to Don for saying this, but I think he will understand. Who the heck did I quote to wind up on Jeff's ignore list, while Don is still in the clear?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caniac

• JBullard

• -klb-

• George Simmons

Paul Roberson wrote:

Max-Paul wrote:
And I really love the one guy who was above getting a volt meter to trouble shoot his power problem on a few controllers. That is a lost cause and I became scarce. I'll admitt I do go a bit overboard. But then when you have someone tell you that their lights dont work, but the LED is blinking and has been doing this for a few years. Ya just got to give them some crap.

My favorite was the one who is "smarter than the average bear here":shock:

unfortunately, haven't seen him around much of late sharing all his wisdom...:D

This is my first year with a LOR display. It took me almost 3 years to finally do it. I had 2 controllers last year but felt I wasn't ready and time flew by. Bought a 3rd this year and set it up. I had in my mind what I wanted to do since we moved into our new house in Dec.07. I was following another site but left because of all the self-absorbed A$$holes (or at least gave me that impression). I found that on here quite a bit too, but for the most part found good people, good advice, and good fun. After I found this place, I found Wowlights and their setup was almost exactly like what I wanted to do (I think they copied my mind) so that made it even easier. I only have 14 songs, bought half and did half myself. Because of the type I am, it took me a while to do the songs myself. I'm sure I could have asked questions to speed things up, but once I learned by trial and error, I won't forget it. I lurked around and picked up some great advice from several people and some of it worked :D. William, you are one I did pick up some good tips from, and if that wasn't enough, we could always get a few pictures. Good luck with your descision.

rabeebe wrote:

This is my first year with a LOR display. It took me almost 3 years to finally do it. I had 2 controllers last year but felt I wasn't ready and time flew by. Bought a 3rd this year and set it up. I had in my mind what I wanted to do since we moved into our new house in Dec.07. I was following another site but left because of all the self-absorbed A$$holes (or at least gave me that impression). I found that on here quite a bit too, but for the most part found good people, good advice, and good fun. After I found this place, I found Wowlights and their setup was almost exactly like what I wanted to do (I think they copied my mind) so that made it even easier. I only have 14 songs, bought half and did half myself. Because of the type I am, it took me a while to do the songs myself. I'm sure I could have asked questions to speed things up, but once I learned by trial and error, I won't forget it. I lurked around and picked up some great advice from several people and some of it worked :D. William, you are one I did pick up some good tips from, and if that wasn't enough, we could always get a few pictures. Good luck with your decision.
The folks at WowLights are great, wanted to do this last year and made numerous calls asking a gazillion questions. They were patient and answered them all. Bought two controllers that year and liked what I saw, this year made all my props and added more controllers. It's been fun.

Discovered this site last years and the majority of those on here have been great, been a lot of help, and get my humor. Learned a long time ago that their are jerks everywhere (some even wear skirts) and you just have to ignore them.

I completely understand your train of thought sir. I hope that you will bless this messed up community of misfits with your wisdom and sometimes your pranks and humor. You have helped soooooo many in the past. It does appear that this year is the year of gimme and not trying. Well my friend, I hope your decision is something that will at least give you peace of mind. Have a very Merry Christmas sir.

Guest Don Gillespie

William good thread, really makes people think before they post a question, wouldn't be the same with out you and your antics on this forum, I don't know about the other guys but you make me laugh the most with all your fishin gear, and great come backs on this forum, hope you rethink your decision and remain part of this goofy group. :P

Hmmm, Williams comment about the voltmeter got me to thinking, has anyone ever posted a list of ALL the tools in one thread list that we all should have that are in this hobby?

I know there are a couple I still need to acquire and intend on doing so, but I was thinking that one of the pros here that has been doing this should possibly make a thread in the "Newbies" section of all those tools needed to test and troubleshoot their controllers, cat5 cables and the like.

I know I don't have a full list, but I do own a few of them because I was in the electrical/electronics industry for many years, but know I still don't have everything that a lot of folks use to test out things.

So how about one of our resident experts just make a list of tools a newbie (or others) should have in their LOR arsenal, doesn't have to be specific as to namebrand, just what it is, what it does, and possibly a description of why you should have it.

Then those of us serious about this could work on acquiring those tools we may be missing from our toolbox.

Just a thought. And yes, I know, some may never understand the reasoning and still ignore getting an item to troubleshoot their LOR equipment, there just isn't any way to help those folks, but for the rest of us that do, that tool list would be a great help.

DVM
Cable Tester
Kill-O-Watt
Non contact style voltage presence tester (one that beeps)

these are the minimum in my opinion

Orville wrote:

Hmmm, Williams comment about the voltmeter got me to thinking, has anyone ever posted a list of ALL the tools in one thread list that we all should have that are in this hobby?

I know there are a couple I still need to acquire and intend on doing so, but I was thinking that one of the pros here that has been doing this should possibly make a thread in the "Newbies" section of all those tools needed to test and troubleshoot their controllers, cat5 cables and the like.

I know I don't have a full list, but I do own a few of them because I was in the electrical/electronics industry for many years, but know I still don't have everything that a lot of folks use to test out things.

So how about one of our resident experts just make a list of tools a newbie (or others) should have in their LOR arsenal, doesn't have to be specific as to namebrand, just what it is, what it does, and possibly a description of why you should have it.

Then those of us serious about this could work on acquiring those tools we may be missing from our toolbox.

Just a thought. And yes, I know, some may never understand the reasoning and still ignore getting an item to troubleshoot their LOR equipment, there just isn't any way to help those folks, but for the rest of us that do, that tool list would be a great help.

good point.

As a first year newbie. I certainly appreciate all the help and advice provided by all of you "lazy old farts"...LOL
And I know that I've expressed my appreciation more than once in here.

Also as a first year newbie, I hate the ones that show up out of the blue and have the "GIMMEE, GIMME" attitude. Seems there are a lot of folks as of late, that don't want to do the work. They order a fully assembled controller, on December 1st. Plug it in, then post on here that it doesn't work, right outta the box.
Sequence?
What's that?
You mean I have to program the lights to turn on and off?
Would one of you be kind enough to give me your sequences? You know, the ones that you've spent hours, days, weeks sequencing. Just gimme those so that I don't have to learn.
Then you find your hard work for sale on EBay.

For those of you that don't want to do any work, you'd be happier purchasing one of those Mr. Christmas thingys. They are plug and play, no work involved other than plugging in your lights.

Personally, I have enjoyed all my planning, learning to build controllers and sequencing. I've downloaded sequences from others, to learn how to get started and see how others have sequenced a particular song. If you've seen one of my videos, it's clear that I have a lot of learning to do yet. But I am proud of what I've accomplished for my first year.

I've gotten a lot of great ideas and advice from most of the folks that have posted in this thread. Your help is greatly appreciated by the vast majority of people here.

Don't throw in the towel Will!

JBullard wrote:

DVM
Cable Tester
Kill-O-Watt

Light keeper pro

shfr26 wrote:

JBullard wrote:
DVM
Cable Tester
Kill-O-Watt

Light keeper pro

Forgot about the LKP. Still have one in the bottom of a box some where, don't use it, since I've been LEDs for years.

shfr26 wrote:

JBullard wrote:
DVM
Cable Tester
Kill-O-Watt

Light keeper pro

BRAIN ! :)

so often we get in a panic when something goes wrong and lose our brain so to speak

just sayin.

Guest Don Gillespie

doug petschke wrote:

shfr26 wrote:
JBullard wrote:
DVM
Cable Tester
Kill-O-Watt

Light keeper pro

BRAIN ! :)

so often we get in a panic when something goes wrong and lose our brain so to speak

just sayin.

Can I add comon sense.

David Rise wrote:

For those of you that don't want to do any work, you'd be happier purchasing one of those Mr. Christmas thingys. They are plug and play, no work involved other than plugging in your lights.

My nomination for post of the week. Thank you David - it couldn't be said any better. IMHO that quote should be permanently posted as a sticky-thingy at the top of the newbies forum section. Amen and good night!

-klb- wrote:

Jeff Millard wrote:
I feel your pain William. I've clicked on the ignore button, but people keep quoting those I've ignored. Then I ignore those people and others quote them. So I ignore them and... well, let me put it this way... I can read your posts, Evan's, George's, John's, and Don Teague's... so could the 5 of you please not quote anyone lest I end up really lonely.

...and yes, if you're someone who annoys me I talk about you in PM with other people. :cool: That's life, get over it.

Jeff

First, my apologies to Don for saying this, but I think he will understand. Who the heck did I quote to wind up on Jeff's ignore list, while Don is still in the clear?

No apology needed my friend. Sometimes I wonder why people listen to me as well. :)

This just reminds me of the mid-late 90's when average people thought they could buy a computer, plug it in and change the world. Before Windows 95 you actually had to have a clue how your computer worked, then computers went main stream and suddenly I had phone calls, and snail mail letters asking how to do things, go ti visit relatives and spend all night answering questions about computers or just fixing it for them.

Maybe this is a good time to think about a Starters Manual or a LOR Book of Knowledge.

There was talk about going through the threads, picking out the "good stuff" and condensing them into a pdf or something.

Maybe having the more experienced folks provide a chapter that describes THEIR starting out in this hobby, what they found useful and the progress they made while putting shows together. I'll bet it would be fun reading about others experiences.

What do you folks think?