• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimswinder

• jldavis1969

• JoeKinne

• BrownOut

All major items are out, all of the static display is out, except for the reindeer. We had a big windstorm while I was putting up the mega tree, all 72 of the strands went from their carefully placed locations around the tree, to the north side of tree where they did their impression of a sailboat sail. after spending an extra 1.5 hours untangling all the mega tree, we finally made it into the house. I have to finish up a set of controller plugs then we will put out the controllers and all of the power cords......oh yeah, i still need to finish sequencing 4 more songs.

Hey we still have a week and half till lights on, nothing to it. :D

There are things in life that one can be certain of, taxes, death and nothing works right without some minor problems.
On one controller I mixed up my circuit 6 item with the #9 item. Simple switching of the wires. On a different controller I pushed the neutral leg of an item in between two of the neutral spades on the controller. No electrical connection. Got several C9 bulbs on the roof that need some attention, probably just need to be tightened in the socket. Had to make a new Ethernet cable. I have a good track record for making these from scratch. Well looks like I am getting out of practice and will need to rework that new cable.

Could be a lot worse though and I am not complaining. Just letting all of the newbies know that even those who have been doing this for several years can have a few snafu's also. Provided that the weather is not nasty, will work the cable and maybe the C9 lamps.

All left will be a few more days of seq work and build a show.

Ah for the love of it. Flashy sparkle lights.

Frybread wrote:

This weekend in Indy they put up all the lights on the "Worlds Largest" Christmas Tree. 52 strands and 4700 lights.

Yikes...I have 8000 lights on My tree and it is ONLY 13 feet tall..

maybe I qualify for 'WORLDS LARGEST"!! ;)

jimswinder wrote:

Frybread wrote:
This weekend in Indy they put up all the lights on the "Worlds Largest" Christmas Tree. 52 strands and 4700 lights.

Yikes...I have 8000 lights on My tree and it is ONLY 13 feet tall..

maybe I qualify for 'WORLDS LARGEST"!! ;)

Yea, but you need more lights per foot when the tree is horizontal...:P:P:P

Planning on taking advantage of the nice weather this week to get more stuff out. I still need to finish two of the singing trees but that can be done inside. We "go live" on 11/26...I think we'll make it!

Got everything up this weekend and ran a couple test sequences. Had a cable not seated right in one controller but everything worked after that. My snafu this year was my plastic reindeer. Got them on the roof and secured. Went to put the antlers on and the crushed the head of one of the reindeer. Spent 3hrs Saturday running around to find new reindeer since the design is different now than 12 years ago when I bought the originals. Also pretested every strand and have a couple sectiones that waited to go out once I had them on the roof. Still need to fix them.

I'm 1/3 ready. I was testing my snow tubes and projector this weekend. Been sick and helping my grandparents move. Now I have to work late at work.

Question- where did the little insert YouTube link thing go?

I finished yesterday afternoon. Was hoping that the leaves would finally fall off the trees but gave up and put the lights on anyway, which is a pain. Tested last night and everything worked as planned with only a few tweeks to a couple of sequences needed. If I can keep the rabbits/squirrels away from my extension cords I should be good to go for my pre-lighting party this weekend.

My guess is that I should have my first lights powered up in January (give or take a bit). I am almost 3 years into a major landscaping project. Adding LOR was an addition about 4 months ago. I don't know if I'm going to do a major "show", but my current year-around landscape lighting is currently slated as 52 LOR channels. After that previews at the grand opening party for the front yard, I will see what reactions I get from both my wife and the neighbors on doing a show. There is (or will be) lots of conduit under the lawn for future LOR installations if needed...

Got a lot done this weekend...but still not done setting up...

And now they are predicting snow this next weekend..

IN SEATTLE!!! :shock:

Should make working on the roof pretty exciting!!!

It has snowed both Saturdays in November, and snow is predicted for next Saturday, also. I have had to take days off work during the week to get everything set up. My good lovely wife has been a trooper. She is very excited about our new Nativity setup this year, so she has been right with me every minute. She is a great help. I have tons of cords to make and we'll almost be done---except for some sequencing!

I have gotten all of the roof stuff done. The problem for me here in Indiana is that when I get off of work there is only about 1 1/2 hours of daylight now. Now I can get serious as I start vacation today. Yea!!
Wayne

Finally got outside last night (in the dark and 34 degrees) and hooked all of the controllers up with power and network and put a couple of sequences through their paces....low and behold, so far things are looking good. I still have to get the CCR Arches completed and add power to the entire static side of the our display....But I feel better now that I have seen the blinky lights working! :P

Ye Ha - Glad to be able to say that I have jsut finished putting up all the display items outside as of about a half an hur ago!!

Now I do have to go do some modifying on my sequencing but that sould only take a couple of days to work out my changes for this year and it is inside work.
I'm glad to have it done too as the weather is supposed to close in this afternoon and rain and then get colder and snowy for the next few days. I do have inflatables out this year but I have them under plastic covers till I get ready for the shows to start on the 1st of December. I may fold in and go ahead and start things up the day after Thanksgiving since I have all the elements out now.

Boy does it feel good to see it all up and ready to go.

Okay that was my pat ont he back. Now to get busy with the updates to sequences and the final touches on things.

Happy Holidays to all.

Bill

I'm roughly 25-50% complete. Have lights up on the gutters and most of the landscape bushes (about 4,000 lights total). Still have all of my outdoor decorations and some other stuff, better pick it up a little bit.

On the bright side, I've already run two tests on the lights I have up. Both have been successful, however, I found flaws in my sequencing that I need to fix.

beeiilll wrote:

the shows to start on the 1st of December. I may fold in and go ahead and start things up the day after Thanksgiving since I have all the elements out now.

I say "FIRE IT UP" Thanksgiving Night!!!

Start a new Family Tradition and get another 7 days of enjoyment out of all your hard work!!!

jimswinder wrote:

beeiilll wrote:
the shows to start on the 1st of December. I may fold in and go ahead and start things up the day after Thanksgiving since I have all the elements out now.

I say "FIRE IT UP" Thanksgiving Night!!!

Start a new Family Tradition and get another 7 days of enjoyment out of all your hard work!!!

My wife says we have to eat Thanksgiving dinner first---then the lights go on! Wahooooooooo!

CKSedg wrote:

My wife says we have to eat Thanksgiving dinner first---then the lights go on! Wahooooooooo!
how long does it take to eat a McDonalds Burger??????